Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura's Production Plans for Coming Months Reflect Low Expectations

Date: January 24, 2009 13:33
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Anonymous
Credibility Rating: 7​

Obviously things are getting pretty dire out there in showrooms across America, and Acura is not immune to this.

We have received credible information regarding Acura's production plans going forward. Below are some key points.

* 2009 TSX production ends after January. No more '09 TSXs will be built. Next production for the TSX begins in August, for the 2010 model. For 2010 a V6 version has been confirmed, but it will be available only in limited quantities.
* First quarter vehicle production has been reduced. Basically March's original production plan has been lopped off, and the total number of vehicles scheduled for January and February production will be spread across the entire quarter (NOTE: This is different than what I initially posted, I originally misinterpreted the information)
* Unless I'm interpreting my information incorrectly '09 RL production has already ceased. RL production will not begin again until the 2010 model production run begins in May.
* Delivery slowdown to dealerships: A 6-day (per week) transit delivery schedule has been cut in half to 3 days of deliveries per week.
* Only TLs and RDXs are scheduled to be produced during the month of April. The total production will be just barely over 1000 units, with roughly 65% of that total being TLs.
* Production will pick up again in May, with just under 4500 total units scheduled for production. Roughly 40% will be TL, 40% MDX, 10% RDX and about 10% RL.
* June production will remain roughly level with May, but the distribution is shifted around a bit, with the RL seeing no production, the TL seeing fewer units and the MDX making up a little more than 65% of the month's production (presumably the 2010 model)
* Acura Production for the entire 2nd quarter appears to be fewer than 10000 units.
* 2010 MDX will be the MMC model, appearing in showrooms in late August.
* 2010 RDX is also getting an MMC, and should appear in showrooms in the July/August timeframe. The FWD model is confirmed by the information I received.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks for the update.

My feelings on this are somewhat mixed... not really sure if it's needed. Sure, everyone says they would buy one, etc... I think it's a good idea, but Honda is really known for their 4 cylinders... Their V6's are nice, but just not the same if you know what I am conveying.

Would be a cool idea to bring others to the brand.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Better put SH-AWD in that V6 TSX as well!

·
Detail DiRTBAG!
1,096 Posts
no no, they are only producing second gens during certain months, to basically "cut down" production, then next year same time it will be produced again. so instead of producing it every single month, acura is only going to produce it on the months mentioned in the OP. (start in august, end in january)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prices

My guess would be that the v6 version would ~$2,000 more bc that is how much a v6 Accord costs over an i4. This is assuming that they only change the engine & do not add all kinds of other goodies like they do w/ hybrids.

This would still put the v6 TSX @ about $3,000 less than the comparable TL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cool. I'm one that would consider getting the V6 model. I love the smoothness of my I4, but having the 6's extra torque is something my I4 could never make.

The difference between my Mom's old 1999 3.0CL and my 04 TSX in horsepower is apparently the same (200ish), but the torque is way more in the CL and it makes a huge difference.

·
Detail DiRTBAG!
1,096 Posts
I wouldn't consider a V6, that defeats the whole purpose of me trading in my gas guzzling daily for a fuel efficient 4 cylinder. I dont need a car that goes fast, I have other cars that can do that, but that's just me

·
Registered
6 Posts
If acura changes the 2009 much for 2010, not only will i sell my car, i will never again purchase an Acura vehicle.

I miss my BMW anyway. :)

·
Clutch Dump of Death!!!
830 Posts
A year ago so many members wanted a V-6 TSX, now very few here are interested. Kind of interesting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read somewhere online about maybe having a diesel engine for the Acura TSX for 2010. I guess I was wrong. Personally, for me, if i get a car with a V6, it would have to be rear-wheel drive, like the Lexus IS or infiniti G models.

Why can't Acura produce a RWD car.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Diesel

The turbo diesel was scheduled for 2010 but that has been put on hold. Rumor mill had it that the 5 speed automatic version did not pass all 50 state's emissions test but other sources point to the high premium of diesel fuel that put it on the back burner.

Many have often wondered why the RDX turbo 4 cylinder has not been spread around as is typical for Honda. Some speculate that it is the less than impressive fuel consumption while others think that it will not fit under the hood of cars like the TSX. There is speculation that it may show up in the new Honda wagon which looks to be called the Crosstourer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
V6 TSX? No thanks. My '09 is the first 4 Cylinder/i4 that i've owned and i'm loving it. I spent under $100 bucks in gas for the month of Jan (just filled up) and my odometer just hit the 1k mark. Can this be possible with a V6?

Highly doubtful.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts