Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a DIY on my valves on my 2004 Tsx.

It has a very loud ticking noise now after my valve adjustment. I would say the sound of my valves ticking went up by 10x.

Any certified mechanics here can lend a hand?

Waitied for my engine to cool down to ensure even specs, I used the valve tool which should have made everything closer to factory than a flat head and a socket.

I also took it apart and re-checked and re-adjusted all the valves and the loud ticking is still there :(

·
Registered
444 Posts
How did you set each one? I believe the spec is .007"-.009" for intake and .009"-.011" exhaust. If you use a feeler gage, it's somewhat challenging to get a good adjustment unless the tip of the gage has a slight angle.

Did you set each cyl to TDC before you adjusted?

If it doesn't sound correct, do not drive the car. It sounds like your clearances are too high.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch. You must not have had the cams positioned correctly each time. Glad it's all straightened out. Also, it had to have been running crappy, right?
How it went wrong I couldn't tell you, never work on a car with a buddy when you are 5 beers deep :jester:

Yep, only damage done is from idle for a few minutes. Went back and re-did the valves today and it runs like a champ :)

·
JTuned
442 Posts
the only conclusion i could get is maybe the valves werent at top dead center (TDC) OR maybe you did them out of firing order?

but nonetheless, glad you got it worked out :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.