Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...concerned enough that I'm thinking about swallowing my deposit and not taking delivery of my car!

I may be overreacting to posts that I've read recently, but I'm concerned about the clutches in the manuals. Of course, there has only been a few stories of problems, but I don't know that I can take much of a chance. I wouldn't care if a service bulletin was out, or a recall, to fix the problem. However, it seems that everyone who has had this problem has been blamed by the dealer, and the dealer tried to get out of fixing the problem under warranty.

This is a headache I don't need. I drive 55 miles one way to get to work, and 55 miles back, some of which is in stop and go traffic, possibly putting a strain on a clutch that seems to have problems.

I don't know...I have one of these cars just waiting for me, and most of you know what I went thru to find just the right one. Am I being unreasonable? Is this a mountain out of a molehill? One of the main reasons I was leaning towards the TSX was the build quality and reliability of the Acura line.

The complaints about rattles were almost enough to scare me off, but I don't mind doing a little work to find them and try to fix them. But I can't have a car that needs it's clutch replaced after 10K miles.

And before anyone says it, no, I don't want the automatic. :(

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ferg

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
I drove in another persons MT TSX in my area it has 13,000+ miles on it he drives his car all the time and everything is ok.. I might just be used to my stage 2 performance clutch on my old car ..

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
larchmont said:
Oh....I thought you meant the owner's manual. :dunno:

FWIW almost everybody who has the MT raves about it, like off the charts.
Yes, I'm very concerned about the owner's manual -- what size is the font? :)

Yeah, I understand why people rave about the MT. Personally, it's the best-feeling manual I've ever driven. That doesn't mean it won't be a problem.

Ferg

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Ferg,

I don't know where you are located but chances are you won't be swallowing your deposit. The deposit should be fully refundable by law. Check your deposit slip/receipt to see if it specifically states that it's not refundable.

I can understand your problem regarding the 6MT. Before I decided on the TSX, I was so sure of getting the previous generation of the TL until I heard about the AT problems. When you are paying $30K (US) for a car, you shouldn't have to worry about something like a transmission blowing out on your car.

The number of MT problems on the TSX is starting to crop up but when you factor in the number of TSX sold against number of MT complaints, I think the odds are in your favor.

Regarding the warranty coverage, people initially had problems convincing the dealership to cover the the cost of repair. But by calling Acura customer service directly, they were able to get the proper coverage they deserved.

If you test drove it and liked it a lot, have some faith. Or get extended warranty as a piece of mind. Keep us informed on your decison. G'luck.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,087 Posts
I agree it's doubtful you'd have to forfeit your deposit. I think I recall a pretty authoritative person on one of these forums saying that BY LAW the deposits are refundable even if you sign a contract saying it's not, and that this is true in all states.

Not 100% sure, though. Like Whatcham said, check it out.

But I think we're rooting for you to go ahead and get the car.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I have a manual transmission tsx, and so far so good. I do only have 11k miles on it however....

I would much rather have the manual than the automatic...If it was the auto version my wife would claim the car.....

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
I wouldn't have bought the car if it weren't for the manual transmission.

After I test drove the TSX, the first thing I did was buy some shares of Honda Motor Co. Ltd. stock.

Later on I bought the car. :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,087 Posts
bob shiftright said:
....After I test drove the TSX, the first thing I did was buy some shares of Honda Motor Co. Ltd. stock.

Later on I bought the car. :D
Which of course raises the question..... :D :D :D

Was Bob acting on insider information? After all, he KNEW there was going to be an extra sale of a Honda-made car. :naughty: :naughty:

And, armed with this knowledge that he knew was certain to prop up the value of the company, he went and bought the stock. :nono:

Need I say more? :D :D :D

Right now they're doing some more about Martha Stewart on CNN. I was never fond of the lady, but I don't understand the case against her. At least according to the spin that's been put out in court so far, I gather that what happened was (supposedly), her broker called her and said that the CEO or whomever of Imclone was dumping his shares, so, did she want to sell hers?

And that they're saying that meant she was acting on insider info. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but, if that's a crux of the situation, you tell me -- Wouldn't YOU say "Of course"? Would anybody but a total schmuck not say "Of course"? We'd have to be total morons in such a situation to say anything else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 6MT in the TSX is really smooth. I think it would be hard to find another car like the TSX where the clutch and gear box are so smooth but put down 200 crank hp. I drive almost 30 miles one way to work sitting in stop and go traffic and have never had any problems.

I have no tattles at all. I did have an alignment problem but that was fixed.

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is this, "raise old Ferg thread week"?

Some people with the manual were experiencing a problem with clutch slippage, and it seems like some dealerships were blaming the drivers instead of acknowledging that it may have been a production problem. Haven't heard anything about this problem in a long time. Maybe it was a driver problem, or Acura fixed the problem?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ferg said:
What is this, "raise old Ferg thread week"?

Some people with the manual were experiencing a problem with clutch slippage, and it seems like some dealerships were blaming the drivers instead of acknowledging that it may have been a production problem. Haven't heard anything about this problem in a long time. Maybe it was a driver problem, or Acura fixed the problem?
What is "clutch slippage" ? Does it mean the foot is slipping off the clutch ??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.