Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very annoying vibration at 60mph and above. It seems like that is a pretty common issue with these cars. Just replaced all four tires and it has not changed a bit. I am suspecting it is CV axles but my understanding is that what only be under acceleration and my vibration persist even in neutral above 60 can it still be the axles. Has anyone had this same issue even in neutral and resolve the issue

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
Have you fixed the problem? I have this problem as well. I have the infamous 20-25mph vibration under acceleration only, and at 60mph if Im accelerating or coasting in neutral. I plan on replacing my right axle with an oem at $550 (ouch) and hopefully that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have you fixed the problem? I have this problem as well. I have the infamous 20-25mph vibration under acceleration only, and at 60mph if Im accelerating or coasting in neutral. I plan on replacing my right axle with an oem at $550 (ouch) and hopefully that fixes the problem.
I would suggest checking your tires first. Any cupping will create vibration. Axle vibration should only happen under acceleration. The 60mph+ vibration you mentioned sounds like tires to me.

Do you recently change to aftermarket wheels? From my experience, lighter weight plus lower offset incur more vibration than stock.

I have learned from my own experience that vibration on an old, modified car is sometimes a result of multiple issues. So why not rule out the cheaper sources before committing to the expensive oem axle?

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
I would suggest checking your tires first. Any cupping will create vibration. Axle vibration should only happen under acceleration. The 60mph+ vibration you mentioned sounds like tires to me.

Do you recently change to aftermarket wheels? From my experience, lighter weight plus lower offset incur more vibration than stock.

I have learned from my own experience that vibration on an old, modified car is sometimes a result of multiple issues. So why not rule out the cheaper sources before committing to the expensive oem axle?
Brand new wheels and tires put on 7 days ago. Went from the stock 17x7 (215/55 17) to 18x8.5 +45 (245/40) but the vibration was there before I changed them. I thought it would go away after new tires. I’m pretty sure the new oem axle will fix the 20-25 vibration but I’m not sure about the 60mph vibration. A mechanic I work with thought it definetly felt like a tire isssue, but they’re brand new tires. I agree it might not be an axle issue because it happens whether I’m accelerating or in neutral. Not sure what it could be, maybe tie rods, ball joints. Think it could possibly be a wheel bearing? No noises or grinding are coming from the bearings.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Brand new wheels and tires put on 7 days ago. Went from the stock 17x7 (215/55 17) to 18x8.5 +45 (245/40) but the vibration was there before I changed them. I thought it would go away after new tires. I’m pretty sure the new oem axle will fix the 20-25 vibration but I’m not sure about the 60mph vibration. A mechanic I work with thought it definetly felt like a tire isssue, but they’re brand new tires. I agree it might not be an axle issue because it happens whether I’m accelerating or in neutral. Not sure what it could be, maybe tie rods, ball joints. Think it could possibly be a wheel bearing? No noises or grinding are coming from the bearings.
Vibration is very tricky to debug on an old car, too many variables. Definitely try second opinion from another mechanic.

Also try thinking back when the vibration started with your old wheels/tires, and if that the timing coincided with any change you made to the car.

For the factors you mentioned:
- Tie rod: You should feel the steering becomes inconsistent at a wide speed range.
- Ball joints: I don't have first-hand experience with Ball joint issue, but I can tell you the oem lower ball joint is quite durable for a moderately-lowered car.
- Bearing: Bearing issue always starts with a distinctive wheel noise. If there is no wheel noise at all, I would rule it out for now.

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
get the inner boot kit and repair the axle, or call up Raxles, dont spend OEM money
Yes I've seen the inner boot kit work for some people but my problem is both of my axles are after market so I wont be able to use the kit. I talked to MrHeelToe himself and he suggested only a right side OEM axle would fix my problem, i talked to him about the "Insane-Shafts 500hp axles" that he sells on his site and said that might not even fix my vibration. Most aftermarket axles all come with vibrations one way or another, and I've read of many situations of people trying 2-3 different axle brands that don't fix the problem and the only way to fix it was OEM. Trust me I REALLY don't want to spend $500 on a single axle but this vibration is driving me insane. Have you heard of Raxles fixing peoples 20-25mph vibration? and how much do they cost? Can't find any prices on their website.

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
Vibration is very tricky to debug on an old car, too many variables. Definitely try second opinion from another mechanic.

Also try thinking back when the vibration started with your old wheels/tires, and if that the timing coincided with any change you made to the car.

For the factors you mentioned:
- Tie rod: You should feel the steering becomes inconsistent at a wide speed range.
- Ball joints: I don't have first-hand experience with Ball joint issue, but I can tell you the oem lower ball joint is quite durable for a moderately-lowered car.
- Bearing: Bearing issue always starts with a distinctive wheel noise. If there is no wheel noise at all, I would rule it out for now.
Okay, gonna try to get my car on a lift on tuesday and check some more stuff out. Thanks for the response and input.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes I've seen the inner boot kit work for some people but my problem is both of my axles are after market so I wont be able to use the kit. I talked to MrHeelToe himself and he suggested only a right side OEM axle would fix my problem, i talked to him about the "Insane-Shafts 500hp axles" that he sells on his site and said that might not even fix my vibration. Most aftermarket axles all come with vibrations one way or another, and I've read of many situations of people trying 2-3 different axle brands that don't fix the problem and the only way to fix it was OEM. Trust me I REALLY don't want to spend $500 on a single axle but this vibration is driving me insane. Have you heard of Raxles fixing peoples 20-25mph vibration? and how much do they cost? Can't find any prices on their website.
FYI Raxle quoted me $349.95 for driver - side axle without oem axle trade-in, and 269.95 with trade-in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, gonna try to get my car on a lift on tuesday and check some more stuff out. Thanks for the response and input.
If you are replacing the right side axle, I would also suggest replacing the intermediate shaft. If you have the vibration under acceleration, then you may have some play in the axle splines that connect the axle to the intermediate shaft. Check the play there, and if there's play, replace both the axle and intermediate shaft.

I have a 2011 6-spd, and I had the infamous vibration under acceleration issue (it was seriously bad). I replaced both axles, and the issue was still there, albeit 99% improved. I then replaced the intermediate shaft, and the issue went away.

The issue is this - when there's play like that with the axle-to-intermediate shaft, they both have splines that can wear out. Replacing just the axle will solve only half the problem. The splines are likely still worn out on the intermediate shaft, therefore replacing them both is the best option. Just a suggestion ;-)

Let us know what happens!

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
If you are replacing the right side axle, I would also suggest replacing the intermediate shaft. If you have the vibration under acceleration, then you may have some play in the axle splines that connect the axle to the intermediate shaft. Check the play there, and if there's play, replace both the axle and intermediate shaft.

I have a 2011 6-spd, and I had the infamous vibration under acceleration issue (it was seriously bad). I replaced both axles, and the issue was still there, albeit 99% improved. I then replaced the intermediate shaft, and the issue went away.

The issue is this - when there's play like that with the axle-to-intermediate shaft, they both have splines that can wear out. Replacing just the axle will solve only half the problem. The splines are likely still worn out on the intermediate shaft, therefore replacing them both is the best option. Just a suggestion ;-)

Let us know what happens!
Thanks I will check it out next time I get under the car. Hopefully I won't need one since it will just be this same exact situation with OEM vs Aftermarket except intermediate shaft instead of axles lol

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thanks I will check it out next time I get under the car. Hopefully I won't need one since it will just be this same exact situation with OEM vs Aftermarket except intermediate shaft instead of axles lol
FYI, there is no aftermarket intermediate shaft, oem is your only choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue and replaced my axles and did not fix the problem.

I replaced both front lower control arms with OEM units and new bushings this week. That took care of the dreaded wobble.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
I had the same issue and replaced my axles and did not fix the problem.

I replaced both front lower control arms with OEM units and new bushings this week. That took care of the dreaded wobble.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

did it fix a 60mph vibration or the 20-25 vibration? And were they visibly damaged? Were the bushings shot? I couldn't see anything from what I remember looking at them

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
UPDATE: So today I installed a new OEM genuine axle on my right (Passenger) side and that has fixed the 20-25mph vibration for the most part. I would say the vibration is about 90% gone. Still a very slight vibration but I guess I can live with it. Possibly intermediate shaft is damaged from the continuous vibration as someone in this thread above said. The 60 mph vibration still persists. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, motor mounts are all good. Lower control arms look good but I'm not 100% sure. No clue what it could be. If anyone could recommend some stuff that would be great. Will update again if I find anything out.

·
Registered
694 Posts
UPDATE: So today I installed a new OEM genuine axle on my right (Passenger) side and that has fixed the 20-25mph vibration for the most part. I would say the vibration is about 90% gone. Still a very slight vibration but I guess I can live with it. Possibly intermediate shaft is damaged from the continuous vibration as someone in this thread above said. The 60 mph vibration still persists. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, motor mounts are all good. Lower control arms look good but I'm not 100% sure. No clue what it could be. If anyone could recommend some stuff that would be great. Will update again if I find anything out.
Do you notice any noise increased around the same time when the vibration started?

·
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav
23 Posts
Do you notice any noise increased around the same time when the vibration started?
I feel like I hear a whirring noise coming from my wheels, but my new tire tread is pretty aggressive (BF Goodrich comp 2 a/s) I can't tell if it's just tread noise or something else. Had my wheel bearings checked today by a mechanic at my work and he said they sounded/ felt fine. He also said he doubted a bad wheel bearing would cause the vibration I have. But I'm not sure. I also took the plastic belly pan off underneath the car just in case that might have been flopping in the wind and causing vibration but it still persists. It's strange because some days the vibration is stronger than others, and it happens while coasting and while accelerating. Shaking is coming through the steering wheel and not the seat.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I saw your post on another thread and you said you had 60mph vibration before. Does the current one feel the same as the old one?

My experience is powertrain or rear hub vubration usually come with noise, so if you do not notice any noise this is going to be a tricky one to judge from internet.

Also, I honestly think for this kind if minor vibration issue, mechanics are usually not good at tracing the root cause. They are too used to more serious issues. So if more than one mechanics clear the suspension, steering and bearing, then I think you either need to look at tires, the other end of the car, or look at powertrain/accessory.

I know you have new tires, but you said the degree of vibration changes sometimes. Do you notice a correlation with ambient temperature? If so, I would say tires are worth looking into. Try changing the tire pressure, and see how the vibration becomes. In my previous experience with tire-related noise/vibration, the vibration felt worse when I lowered tire pressure. The Goodrich tires are known to generate some noise and vibration as they wear.

The powertrain/accessory suggestion also don't match with the fact that vibration persists in coasting. But it will at least make sure the vibration you feel in the steering is clean, and not compounded by multiple of issues. TSX steering wheel communicates tons of info, and I have learned that it can be misleading at times.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
11 Participants
Oats
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing