Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some small updates of things to come. Over the weekend, finally had some above 0 deg C weather (above 32 deg F for you American folk) so I plastidipped the OEM alloys - trying to get as close to GLM as possible. (below is the step by step progress)
Used 2 coats black, 1 coat gunmetal, 1 coat smoke, 1 coat metallizer and 1 coat glossifier

Original OEM wheel (all clean)

First Coat - Black

2nd Coat (Heavy) - Black

3rd Coat (Gunmetal)

Comparo between Black (Left) & Gunmetal (Right)

4th Coat (Metallizer)

Smoke did not do much, so didn't bother posting. I might have had better luck going black with multiple coats of Metallizer - but oh well.

Still have some cold weather on the way, so probably 1-2 weeks before I throw these on the car.

Here are some mock ups.

Next Mods:
1) Got some G2 Caliper Paint, so plan on painting my calipers red in the coming weeks. Will give an updated when that is done with & the tires are installed.
2) Going to dip my grill and fog light garnishes. Going to try Black w/ Pearlizer to see how it turns out.

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please don't paint your calipers red!!!
Lol, why not. I originally wanted to go black, but that was not in stock. Or are you saying don't paint them at all.

·
Registered
874 Posts
+1 ^^ Calipers would look clean in black, and you should shadow line the Trim or Plasti Dip it. keep up the good work

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally had some decent weather last week so I decide to complete the G2 Black Caliper Paint, and plastidip my front grill and fog light surrounds (Slightly darker colour)

Pics after a wash:

Brake Prep:

Front & Rear Brakes Painted:

Blacked Out Grill (3 Coats Black):

1 Coat of Plastidip Pearlizer:

Plastidipped Wheels Installed & Grill/Bumper Back On:

More Pics After a Wash:

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I woulda leave it as is, but that's just me. imo too ghetto no offense intended mate.
None taken. I just couldn't take seeing multiple cars with the same look as mine. This was suppose to be what it looked like for winter but had to ditch any costly items like Rims and lowering it due to wedding costs.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
The painted grill and calipers is a nice touch but not really feeling the wheels.

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took some quick picks before a meeting in Mississauga. The wheels can peel off so I can always change back, the fiancé is ragging' on me too.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you left the wheel emblem unpainted, I think that would be better.
Fully painted wheel (and emblem) kind of made it look cheap.

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you left the wheel emblem unpainted, I think that would be better.
Fully painted wheel (and emblem) kind of made it look cheap.
Did not know a way to do it cleanly with the spray. I could have removed the centre caps, but then it would be completely silver.

I will make an attempt to cut around the emblem when I have a chance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like it.
I'm just about to paint my wheels a similar colour, just a slightly lighter tone. I considered plastidip, but it seems you just can't get the lustre I want. That's the only misgiving I have about yours is the semi gloss look doesn't do the wheels justice in my eyes.
My hand was fluctuating from the red to the black caliper paint too, but it finally fell on the red. Must be the boy racer in me. Doesn't bother me, although I'm considering Spoon blue- but that would make too many colours on the car (the red is picked up by the tail lights).
Prospective wheel colour photoshopped on

Calipers

·
Registered
652 Posts
Damn, is that the spot were meeting at? Looks dope.

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update, had some free time this evening. Added some decals to the G2 painted calipers and cut out the Acura Emblem from the plastidip wheels - sort of butchered that.

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After a long hiatus, thought I should update on my recent changes.

Redid my plastidip wheels with 3 coats black, 3 coats silver metalizer and 2 coats acrylic clear to keep the brake dust off...found my last try the wheels were a PITA to maintain. Also cleared my headlights using kowloonsniper's DIY...much bigger PITA than I expected.

Also got the type-s replica kit back in October and finally got it painted and installed after this brutal winter. Thanks to Defcon for answering my questions regarding fitment for the 2012 bumper. And wassobe for trying to coordinate painting. Also got my grill paint matched, fogs painted black and a trunk lip spoiler. Forgive the cars condition no chance to wash it.

Rob from Phoenix Custom Autobody in Brampton was awesome to deal with, they really hooked me up. These guys do quality work and considering how poor the condition the kit was from storage over the winter I am happy the way it turned out.

My original plan was to get some Avante Garde 19's with some coilovers however with a house closing soon think I will be holding off for now. Comment on your thoughts, hope you like them.

·
Mech. Eng
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took a mini-photo-shoot while taking a Sunday drive up to Forks of the Credit. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts