Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone , I have a 2006 Tsx. Haven't ever had any vsa related issues before. Here's what's going on. So one of my headlights went out, they are an aftermarket hid kit I've had for about 7 years. So turns out, one of the ballasts are bad. It was the passenger side ballast. Took it by a local shop near by , and they installed a new ballast on that passenger side. Now everytime I turn on my headlights , shortly after ,I get the Vsa light on, and it says check vsa system in the center display of the cluster. With my headlights off during the day ,I have driven around many miles, the vsa never turns on, 100% on with the headlights on, I'm stumped. Any feedback on a fix would be greatly appreciated. Thank you-Tai

·
Registered
237 Posts
Could be the ballast (bad or too large), could be how it's wired or it could be the charging system. What's probably going on is a big voltage drop and computers and sensors don't like that. Also possible they wired the ballast to a circuit for ABS/VSA, which they really should not have done.

The alternator and battery work together to maintain voltage, if either is going bad you'll see low voltage either at idle or when electrical loads are applied. A bad battery will draw too many amps and overload the alt, a failing/tired alt may not keep the voltage up at low rpm or under load. Adding headlight current draw might drop the system voltage enough to create problems elsewhere. A totally failed alt will obviously trigger the warning light.

First step for anything weird electrical, check battery cables and terminals, clean and snug. Not too tight or you'll stretch the clamps, just snug enough that you can't twist them by hand.

Then check the ground straps, the two on the pax side are easy to remove and clean so I would do that. Replace if they're corroded or frayed.

Check the health of the battery with a battery tester (battery disconnected), or just take the battery to FLAPS and let them do it. A very quick and dirty test is check battery voltage with the car off, it should be about 12.5V (no less than 12.oV) or better after ebing charged and allowed to sit for a few hours or overnight.but even then it could still have issues which is why a battery tester is preferred.

Then check voltage at the battery terminals with the engine warmed up at idle and AC on... you're looking for 14V ish, not much less than that. Then turn the lights on, and see if it drops more than about 0.5 volts.

If it's low with lights off, then either the battery or alternator is going bad. If the battery checked OK, then it's probably the alternator.

If it drops a lot with the lights on then the problem may be that new ballast is drawing too much current. Make sure that circuit has the correct size fuse... if the new ballast blew the fuse the shop may have "solved" the problem by putting in a higher-rated fuse and that would be bad.

I'd probably check the electrical system yourself before taking it back to the shop... just to rule that out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts