Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when stopping a bit hard (nowhere near lockup or anything, just slowing down), I hear a momentary sort of grind/hydraulic noise that sounds a bit like abs and a bit like limited slip or traction control. Is this the VSA?

Clutch is in when this happens and tranny in neutral. It's not a repeatable phenomenon, or it doesn't seem to be entirely consistent. Maybe certain street conditions causing a wheel to slip a little?

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
I'm no expert on this but it certainly sounds like ABS and ABS only. The "grind" noise is the classic sign of the ABS kicking in.

ABS kicks in when the sensors within each wheel detect slippage relative to other wheels during braking situations. You should also feel the brake pedals violently pulsating when the ABS is activated.

The VSA (officially called Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control in TSX) kicks in during skidding situations related to oversteer, understeer, or acceleration. The VSA will reduce the engine power and apply brakes in assisting the wheels to be in contact with the road again.

The VSA I believe is almost invisible to the driver other than the VSA LED (the triangle with the exclaimation mark inside) flashing in the gauge clusters. If this LED is on, the VSA is on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts