Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting the engine code indicating a stretched timing chain (can't recall the exact code, maybe p0016?). I let it sit in the garage for a few months and went to move it the other day and it wouldn't start. So I finally got around to working on it. After taking the cylinder head off and getting the cam pulley to TDC, the VTC actuator sprocket it way out of time. It's probably sitting around 3 o'clock.

I'm going to put a new chain kit (chains plus guides, tightener, etc.) VTC actuator, and VTC solenoid (it was destroyed) but am not sure what to do about the timing. Is it as simple as reseating the VTC sprocket where it should be?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The vtc gear itself may be done. Did your engine make a rattling sound for the first seconds or two after cold start? That is a common sign.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing the gear as well. It did make that rattling sound, which I'm sure eventually led to these other timing issues.

What I'm not sure about is how to get that gear back in time since it's off by 45 degrees or so right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if it’s “unlocked” is it free to rotate back to TDC position? I’m mostly concerned if you’re spinning the gear but not moving the cam, wouldn’t it still be out of time even if the gear indicated it was back in time? Or is it just a matter of disconnecting the chain and spinning the gear and cam back to position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts