Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting the engine code indicating a stretched timing chain (can't recall the exact code, maybe p0016?). I let it sit in the garage for a few months and went to move it the other day and it wouldn't start. So I finally got around to working on it. After taking the cylinder head off and getting the cam pulley to TDC, the VTC actuator sprocket it way out of time. It's probably sitting around 3 o'clock.

I'm going to put a new chain kit (chains plus guides, tightener, etc.) VTC actuator, and VTC solenoid (it was destroyed) but am not sure what to do about the timing. Is it as simple as reseating the VTC sprocket where it should be?

·
Registered
344 Posts
The vtc gear itself may be done. Did your engine make a rattling sound for the first seconds or two after cold start? That is a common sign.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing the gear as well. It did make that rattling sound, which I'm sure eventually led to these other timing issues.

What I'm not sure about is how to get that gear back in time since it's off by 45 degrees or so right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if it’s “unlocked” is it free to rotate back to TDC position? I’m mostly concerned if you’re spinning the gear but not moving the cam, wouldn’t it still be out of time even if the gear indicated it was back in time? Or is it just a matter of disconnecting the chain and spinning the gear and cam back to position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got the new VTC actuator put on, along with a new timing kit and a new VTC solenoid. I used genuine Honda for the actuator but used aftermarket for the chain kit and solenoid.

Before, the car wouldn't start anymore. After, it starts right up!

Unfortunately, after driving around 10 miles, it threw a new p0011 code, indicating the VTC is off. I was really careful installing everything so it was in time. I'm pretty bummed out after spending a lot of hours and energy into this job that this code came back. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I guess my next move is to put on a genuine Honda solenoid and see if that's the problem. I read that somewhere else and there is a huge price difference between the Honda ($160 and the aftermarket one I got on Amazon ($25).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a quick look under the hood and pulled the new VTC solenoid out. Sure enough, it had snapped off. It was in for all of 3 days and probably had less than 10 miles on it.

Not sure what's happening. When I did the timing chain work, the original VTC solenoid was broken the same way. I don't really know how these things can break, let alone break that quickly. The only thing I can think of is that I over-tightened the new one and pushed it in too deep.

I bit the bullet and bought a more expensive after-market version at Oreilly for $130 or so. They said if it breaks, it has a lifetime warranty, so that's better than messing with the $25 ones that might be junk. I put that in last night and didn't tighten it up too much -- just got the bolt in snug enough.

I'd think if something inside the head was bumping the solenoid, causing it to break, that there would be a lot of other stuff going wrong inside the head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts