Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
DIGGZ said:
Anybody know when the vtec kicks in on TSX?
Now somebody please correct me if I am wrong...but the iVTEC in the TSX works a little different than VTEC. In my G2 93 GS-R, the VTEC kicked in from 5900rpm to 7900rpm. From what I have been told, iVTEC kicks in when ever you punch it no matter what rpm you are at. I don't know if it still kicks in for a 2000rpm span, or if it is continuous, but I am sure someone will explain in further detail.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
iVtec kicks in around 6,000 RPM's and stays there till the redline, its relatively short, HONDATA lowers the iVtec point to 5,000 RPM's and keeps it going until the new 7,500 RPM Redline...

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
so i'm confused. i was under the impression that the iVtec was more than just an on/off of the valves opening more. i thought ivtec changes when it comes on/off depending on the driving style.

·
Registered
126 Posts
spyguy said:
so i'm confused. i was under the impression that the iVtec was more than just an on/off of the valves opening more. i thought ivtec changes when it comes on/off depending on the driving style.
I really thought the same thing because that sounds more like how VTEC works. So what is the difference between VTEC and iVTEC? Confused as well!

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
caz1604 said:
From what I have been told, iVTEC kicks in when ever you punch it no matter what rpm you are at. I don't know if it still kicks in for a 2000rpm span, or if it is continuous, but I am sure someone will explain in further detail.
Smack whoever told you that, because it isnt true at all.

vtec kicks in at 6K to redline.

·
Registered
126 Posts
joerockt said:
Smack whoever told you that, because it isnt true at all.

vtec kicks in at 6K to redline.
A salesman told me that a while back when I originally test drove the car...I guess I should have followed up to confirm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK. I'm new to Hondas (hopefully buying my Accord Euro at the end of this year), but I think you're confusing when the "iVTEC" comes on -- from that article says it is a CONTINUOUSLY variable system right from low RPM and so operates ALL the time -- with when the second camshaft kicks in and the whole things starts going like the clappers...
If anyone knows any better, I'm happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No you're quite right. The 'i' represents the ability of the engine to alter the phasing of the CAM in relation to the amount of throttle applied. VTEC as per usual is the higher lift CAM profile for the upper rev limit. The 'i' AFAIK is to smooth out the torque curve as the older VTEC systems had a bit of a lumpy torque output.

However Honda have boobed with the K24 as the torque curve is pretty naff IMHO. I love the car but I'm begining to wonder why the engine exhibits such a lumpy curve. If you compare it with the K20 in the RSX Type-S/Civic Type-R/Integra Type-R then you'll find it's near flat from start to finish whereas the K24 seems to waver a lot before dying off just after VTEC comes in at 6k's.

Hondata seem to have solved the curve problem completely but it's a shame you have to pay for something Honda should have got right in the first place.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
If I'm the only one, but I preferred the lumpy switch over which also attracted me to buying a CL9 instead of EP3 or DC5. Then again, I'm still a firm believer of the old school DOHC VTEC system over the i-DOHC VTEC system.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Noel said:
If I'm the only one, but I preferred the lumpy switch over which also attracted me to buying a CL9 instead of EP3 or DC5. Then again, I'm still a firm believer of the old school DOHC VTEC system over the i-DOHC VTEC system.
<-- Is with you Noel :nod:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wish that Honda had programmed the VTEC to come on around 4000-4500RPM...
At 6000RPM it is almost useless, because the 5AT full-throttle shift point is 7000RPM...
With the Hondata reflash it's an improvement but I still wish it would engage sooner...

·
tuning / modding newbie..
120 Posts
jprovostla said:
I wish that Honda had programmed the VTEC to come on around 4000-4500RPM...
At 6000RPM it is almost useless, because the 5AT full-throttle shift point is 7000RPM...
With the Hondata reflash it's an improvement but I still wish it would engage sooner...
is the reflash available for the tsx? i just checked the website and it says that a reflash is coming, but no date of release.

·
Registered
126 Posts
sequoia said:
is the reflash available for the tsx? i just checked the website and it says that a reflash is coming, but no date of release.
It is available for 2004 models. I don't know when it will be ready for 2005 models.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
VTEC works best and optimally at it's factory set point, unless a lowered VTEC engagement point is tuned in accordance with the required air/fuel mix ratio and pressure to gain it's optimal setting, it is pointless. Even though so, the theory of lowering VTEC engagement to see true performanace will only work within 1000 -1500 RPM of the original setting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reflash? What?? Is this reprogramming the engine? I have a 2004 so I'd be interested

·
Registered
27 Posts
Noel said:
VTEC works best and optimally at it's factory set point, unless a lowered VTEC engagement point is tuned in accordance with the required air/fuel mix ratio and pressure to gain it's optimal setting, it is pointless. Even though so, the theory of lowering VTEC engagement to see true performanace will only work within 1000 -1500 RPM of the original setting.
I have a friend who did this to his car, and the VTEC kicks in at 3000 RPM. the car performance is amazing compare the original setting

1 - 20 of 26 Posts