Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had a clutch change and I paid a shop to do it. They said they also changed the transmission fluid. I asked them if they used Honda MTF and they said no, they used a different brand.

Being strict on what I want in my car I decided to change it to Honda MTF on my own.

So today I did the job by first removing the fill bolt.

First off, it's good practice to remove the fill bolt first just in case you find out you have a stuck fill bolt AFTER you remove the drain bolt.

Any ways, I removed the fill bolt first and fluids started draining like it was the drain bolt. In my mind I was boggled at how much fluid was flowing out. I'd say a good half quart.

My question is, is this a sign of overfill or is this normal? How does this even happen? Is there another fill hole I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
325 Posts
There is a removable plug on top of the trans near the shifter housing that I use to do mine. It faces up, not sideways like most side-mounted fill holes. Use that. If you were on level ground and removed the correct plug for filling, and it poured out, then yeah it was overfilled. Drain, remove top plug, remove fill plug, fill from top until fluid begins seeping from fill hole.

:thumbsup:

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
The way I have always filled Honda/Acura MT fluid is:
-jack up on driver's side, on level ground
-fill through fill hole, till it flows out
-lower car, so excess can flow out
-jack up, install fill plug

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
There is a removable plug on top of the trans near the shifter housing that I use to do mine. It faces up, not sideways like most side-mounted fill holes. Use that. If you were on level ground and removed the correct plug for filling, and it poured out, then yeah it was overfilled. Drain, remove top plug, remove fill plug, fill from top until fluid begins seeping from fill hole.

:thumbsup:
For clarification can you provide and/or find a pic. Thanks

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
For clarification can you provide and/or find a pic. Thanks
it's not worth doing it that way... just get the little white hand pump that screws onto the qt of MTF... they're $8 at advance auto

MTF changes are easier than oil changes...

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
it's not worth doing it that way... just get the little white hand pump that screws onto the qt of MTF... they're $8 at advance auto

MTF changes are easier than oil changes...
This is the wrong way to do it. You need to put in precisely the correct amount of fluid, not just let it come out the trans.

It should be filled from the top of the trans, you can see redish bolt. That is the fill port.

EDIT: 2 liters of MTF is used

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well one thing is for sure:

They either over filled my transmission or the fluid they used sucks ass.

After my clutch change my first and second gear were hard to engage at low speeds. At idle they go in perfectly. Also my fifth gear was notchy and sixth gear required more force to go in. I know my car so this was not normal. I decided to give it awhile just in case it was just the new clutch. Well after changing the fluid to Honda MTF, everything was smooth again. First gear slips in smooth at 10mph, no more notchy 5th gear, etc.

My synchros definitely like Honda MTF much better.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is the wrong way to do it. You need to put in precisely the correct amount of fluid, not just let it come out the trans.

It should be filled from the top of the trans, you can see redish bolt. That is the fill port.

EDIT: 2 liters of MTF is used
THIS is not entirely accurate. In fact, the "FILL" plug is on the side of the trans(back and up from the "drain" plug) and that is used to fill up with MTF. I'm not saying it can't be done from the top, but ISIS at the Acura dealer says NOTHING about filling from the hole on top of the trans. 2 liter is correct (or 2.1qts)

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Filling from the side is correct.

Filling until fluids seeps from the side hole is correct or "precise" way to do it.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
325 Posts
We can argue over what Honda says all day and it won't matter. ADDING FLUID from ANY LOCATION until it seeps from the "fill" hole is correct.

Any further discussion on the matter is useless....

Hope you got it sorted out cYn :thumbsup:

/thread

1 - 11 of 11 Posts