Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's something I do when I'm zipping along in the left lane to help me be sure that cars in the next lane aren't going to suddenly swerve in front of me -- really it's second nature, and I never much even thought about it. Until I realized that other people don't necessarily do it or even know about it.

I'm always automatically checking out the front wheel of every car as I'm about to pass it. As long as it's not turned toward my lane, I know I'm fine, because there's no way the car is coming anywhere near me. Some friends who know how safety-conscious I am have been surprised that I don't seem to worry about those cars swerving in front of me. When I explained, it seemed like news to them.

Anybody else do this?

BTW: This is another example of a thread that really belongs in some kind of "Car" section, rather than Off Topic -- but currently there isn't anywhere for it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am a freak when it comes to safety and caution, i usually zip through when i am passing a car, there are a lot of people on the road that shouldn't be driving at all. Unlike me, a lot of my friends just drive without common sense. You can tell in a minute when someone has control of their car or the car has control of the driver. I was test driving a BMW once and as i was accelerating my rear wheels started to spin, however i knew that i was able to stay in control with no sweat ( I kind of wanted to burn some rubber). After few fishtail maneuvers i asked my friend that was sitting next to me how did you like it? his response was: did i like what? he didnt even know what the hell was going on, that proves to you that people dont have a feel for the car.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
netoperek said:
I am a freak when it comes to safety and caution, i usually zip through when i am passing a car, there are a lot of people on the road that shouldn't be driving at all. Unlike me, a lot of my friends just drive without common sense. You can tell in a minute when someone has control of their car or the car has control of the driver. I was test driving a BMW once and as i was accelerating my rear wheels started to spin, however i knew that i was able to stay in control with no sweat ( I kind of wanted to burn some rubber). After few fishtail maneuvers i asked my friend that was sitting next to me how did you like it? his response was: did i like what? he didnt even know what the hell was going on, that proves to you that people dont have a feel for the car.
I agree..

I personally keep it in left lane all the time and try not to switch around unless someone is driving super slow. Middle lane is the most dangerous lane in NY. And the right lane is just too slow. :confused:
I tell this to everyone who wants to buy a car :
"Want to be safe and live long? DONT drive in NY."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tsxclub said:
....."Want to be safe and live long? DONT drive in NY."
Yeah!

But, there are worse places, aren't there?

First of all, BOSTON, for a few reasons which may or may not be related:

-- The roads often are confusing, hard to find, and hard to get to even if you know where they are.
(Boston is the original location of that joke with the punchline, "You can't get there from here.")

-- A lot of the intersections are (or at least WERE -- don't know if they've changed it) totally uncontrolled, without lights or stop signs.

-- A lot of the people there drive like they're nuts.

Boston, at least for me, is way worse than New York.

But if you really want a "treat," check out driving in the Caribbean. Before I went to Barbados, a friend warned me about the driving there -- the blind curves, the hairpins, and about how a lot of the cars (including the buses) seem not to care what lane they're in even when they're coming around the curves, right at you. (It's all 2-lane roads, of course.) His warning might have saved my life and a few others. And I've since seen that it's like that on most of those islands. They don't usually drive as recklessly as in Barbados, but the nature of the roads makes it treacherous.

·
in search of PW threads
301 Posts
larchmont said:
But, there are worse places, aren't there?

First of all, BOSTON, for a few reasons which may or may not be related:

-- The roads often are confusing, hard to find, and hard to get to even if you know where they are.
(Boston is the original location of that joke with the punchline, "You can't get there from here.")

-- A lot of the intersections are (or at least WERE -- don't know if they've changed it) totally uncontrolled, without lights or stop signs.

-- A lot of the people there drive like they're nuts.

Boston, at least for me, is way worse than New York.
I agree. Absolutely.

NYC drivers are aggressive but predictable. Boston drivers are slower but just plain stupid. I've seen many people do "left turn on red" here.

I even know one chap who was looking for an on-street parking spot near Harvard Square. He saw a spot but decided to keep searching. He got to the end of the block, took a right, and was halfway down the road when he decided he wanted the spot he saw earlier. So he backtracked: reversed up the street, reversed through the right hand turn, and backed into the open spot.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dnb said:
.....I even know one chap who was looking for an on-street parking spot near Harvard Square. He saw a spot but decided to keep searching. He got to the end of the block, took a right, and was halfway down the road when he decided he wanted the spot he saw earlier. So he backtracked: reversed up the street, reversed through the right hand turn, and backed into the open spot.
A little off the subj, but.... Once upon a time I had a BMW, and when it was good it was very good but when it was bad (which was often) it sucked. Eventually the transmission developed a mind of its own, and one night, after I left a party in New Jersey, it decided that it would only go in reverse. I swear I considered driving backwards all the way back to Manhattan. I had the good sense not to do that -- or, maybe I shouldn't claim any "good sense" because what I actually did was to return to my friend's house -- which was about a mile away.

I actually drove that mile in reverse.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Re: Watching their front wheel: Anybody else do this?

larchmont said:
There's something I do when I'm zipping along in the left lane to help me be sure that cars in the next lane aren't going to suddenly swerve in front of me -- really it's second nature, and I never much even thought about it. Until I realized that other people don't necessarily do it or even know about it.

I'm always automatically checking out the front wheel of every car as I'm about to pass it. As long as it's not turned toward my lane, I know I'm fine, because there's no way the car is coming anywhere near me. Some friends who know how safety-conscious I am have been surprised that I don't seem to worry about those cars swerving in front of me. When I explained, it seemed like news to them.

Anybody else do this?

BTW: This is another example of a thread that really belongs in some kind of "Car" section, rather than Off Topic -- but currently there isn't anywhere for it.
I do that too! But for different reasons. Not because I'm worried about others swerving into me but rather crazy drivers changing lanes without turning on their blinkers. Okie, sometimes I can understand that they didn't see me because I was in their blind spot but it's still no excuse not using the blinkers (what? afraid you're gonna burn out the bulb or something?!?). :mad:

It's quite sad when I have to not only watch out for my own car but also others because of their carelessness.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Watching their front wheel: Anybody else do this?

Whatchamacallit said:
I do that too! But for different reasons. Not because I'm worried about others swerving into me but rather crazy drivers changing lanes without turning on their blinkers......
Funny -- that's exactly what I meant!

Crazy thing, the English language.
Or maybe it's just me :dunno:
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts