Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DC2 to CL9
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought these center caps for my CE28 and they look great, but have some long term concerns.

To best describe what I'm describing, it is similar to what the headlight hazing look like. Should I polish and wax the inside part of these center caps? They feel like a soft clear gel-like plastic (contact lens?) but unsure what they are made from exactly.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I know you can wax plastics such as headlights and taillights but I have no idea about a gel-like plastic. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
I don't really see how waxing would help...using anything abrasive would only damage it (light polish/compound/wetsanding lol) since its a gel kind of a material and not a hard outer.

You could "try" plastiX but again that has very light abrasive properties, off the top of my head I would say if its faded to try and use some (and dont lol) trim restorer. Something with an oil based finish. Maybe even tire spray. Spray some on and wipe. Keep in mind it will fade away after a while (particularly after a wash or rain) and again be hazy but the oils in those products may give some clairty to the haze. Good luck.

Btw the haze is a result of oxidation from harsh wheel cleaning solvents/wheel cleaning brushes/salt that has eatedn away the gloss finish. Only way to really fix this issue is to get a new set.

·
DC2 to CL9
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't really see how waxing would help...using anything abrasive would only damage it (light polish/compound/wetsanding lol) since its a gel kind of a material and not a hard outer.

You could "try" plastiX but again that has very light abrasive properties, off the top of my head I would say if its faded to try and use some (and dont lol) trim restorer. Something with an oil based finish. Maybe even tire spray. Spray some on and wipe. Keep in mind it will fade away after a while (particularly after a wash or rain) and again be hazy but the oils in those products may give some clairty to the haze. Good luck.

Btw the haze is a result of oxidation from harsh wheel cleaning solvents/wheel cleaning brushes/salt that has eatedn away the gloss finish. Only way to really fix this issue is to get a new set.
I don't have this issue, rather I'm trying to get answers on preventive care so I don't have to worry about it in the future. I purchased the center caps new and need to know if I need to protect the finish by waxing it or not.

I think it's best to ask people at autopia.org
Don't think I want to sign up for a website just to ask one question, especially when someone here should know. Thanks for the idea though.

I know you can wax plastics such as headlights and taillights but I have no idea about a gel-like plastic. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer.
Yeah I don't think waxing would hurt. I know waxing your glass and headlights is standard practice, and wax isn't damaging to plastics, clear coat, and paint, so I'm going to go ahead and do that.

Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts