Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm ready to give my TSX it's forst wax job...any recommendations? Is one brand any better then the rest? :jump:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've used the Zaino products with much success. It gives much longer lasting protection and shine than wax. It is very reflective. However, some feel that its hyper reflective look misses the deeper, wetter look that traditional wax has. Of course, you can use Zaino for the protection and apply a traditional wax on top.

Regardless of what product you use, I would recommend using a clay bar first.

·
The Bay State
931 Posts
It is a bar of clay that pulls out dirt and impurities out of your paint. It will feel like smooth glass when you're done.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You use the clay bar in conjunction with some sort of lubricant. You can use stuff like quick wipe detailing spray or some nice and slippery car wash. You wet the surface of the car one section at a time (I usually do about a 2 foot square section) and then you take the piece of clay and rub it back and forth on the wet section. The clay removes all of the dust and particles that are embedded in the paint. It is an instantly noticeable difference. You can also use the clay to remove tree sap, some paint overspray, etc.

I didn't think my brand new TSX needed the clay treatment, but I did it anyway and I was amazed at the amt of stuff that had already accumulated on the surface of my TSX that has a manufacture date of October 2004.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nick Papgeorgio said:
Good tip! I never used the stuff! What brand do you recomend? do you have to buff the section out once you worked the clay into the paint?
I use the clay magic brand. It was one of the first widely available ones and is still well regarded. If you can't find Clay Magic, I'm sure Meguires or any of the other reputable company's products are fine.

One bit of clarification. You don't really work the clay into the paint. Think of the clay bar as a chalkboard eraser. You know how it doesn't take much pressure to erase chalk from a chalk board w/ an eraser, right? The clay process takes about as much pressure. With enough lubrication, the clay will glide across your paint like a wet soap bar. There's no need to push down hard. You'll know when to stop b/c the paint will no longer feel gritty when all of the embedded particles have been removed. When you are done claying your car, there should be no clay at all left on your finish. The car should feel absolutely smooth and soft.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
just make sure you keep the car plenty lubed up when using the clay. Also it will strip any wax/protectant you have on the car so you'll need to put more on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
AlterZgo said:
I use the clay magic brand. It was one of the first widely available ones and is still well regarded. If you can't find Clay Magic, I'm sure Meguires or any of the other reputable company's products are fine.

One bit of clarification. You don't really work the clay into the paint. Think of the clay bar as a chalkboard eraser. You know how it doesn't take much pressure to erase chalk from a chalk board w/ an eraser, right? The clay process takes about as much pressure. With enough lubrication, the clay will glide across your paint like a wet soap bar. There's no need to push down hard. You'll know when to stop b/c the paint will no longer feel gritty when all of the embedded particles have been removed. When you are done claying your car, there should be no clay at all left on your finish. The car should feel absolutely smooth and soft.

After i use the clay, dry off the car, can i put car wax back on? - How often do you use the clay bar? is it something that shouldn't be done too often? ??

thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nick Papgeorgio said:
After i use the clay, dry off the car, can i put car wax back on? - How often do you use the clay bar? is it something that shouldn't be done too often? ??

thanks
After claying, I would wash the car again just to get the clay lubricant residue off the car. Then, just wax it. Depending on whether you park your car outside a lot or not, you may only need to clay once every 6 mos or longer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've tried clay on my 94 Infiniti G20, 91 300ZX, 03 Honda Pilot and now my 05 Acura TSX. It was effective in removing the surface contaminants on all 4 cars. The clay will make the surface of the car *feel* very smooth. However, on the older cars, it obviously won't bring back the shine like a good polish/glaze type product would. For older cars, you should wash, clay, dry, then try a polish/glaze to bring back the shine and wax as the last step to protect the finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts