Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is recomended to wax a new car? Alot of people say it should not be done for a few months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hear that as well. Personally I think its B.S.
The paint/clearcoat has plenty of time to cure from the factory by the time you purchase it.

I say if youre concerned, one month after purchase is plenty of time.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
friend of mine has a brand new paint job on his car and he polished it a week after he did it the paint is getting so bad now car looks really bad in the sun ect..

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but yes you are right a new car has plenty of time after it leaves the factory.

·
Registered
954 Posts
tsxclub said:
I was wondering if it is recomended to wax a new car? Alot of people say it should not be done for a few months.
You don't need to wait for anything to wax a car (new or otherwise). If the water stops beading up on the car or the "puddles" are bigger than a couple inches in diameter, it needs waxing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
tsxclub said:
friend of mine has a brand new paint job on his car and he polished it a week after he did it the paint is getting so bad now car looks really bad in the sun ect..
From the dealer and from a paint shop are two different things. A car from the dealer has probably been painted at least a month before it arrives at the dealership.

On the other hand, a freshly painted car from a paint shop may need to sit a while. Did they tell your friend that he should wait?

In any case, I'd say that the problems he is having is probably more due to a crappy paint job rather than the polishing he did.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sjlee said:
From the dealer and from a paint shop are two different things. A car from the dealer has probably been painted at least a month before it arrives at the dealership.

On the other hand, a freshly painted car from a paint shop may need to sit a while. Did they tell your friend that he should wait?

In any case, I'd say that the problems he is having is probably more due to a crappy paint job rather than the polishing he did.
paint job was great alot of layers but yes they did tell him to wait few months before waxing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my car was waxed/polished the day I picked it up from the dealer. It was about a month old from production date when I went to the dealer to get it. I've waxed my car 3 times already in the 5 weeks I've had it. I tried Mequires Gold Class the first time and have since put two coats of Zaino Z2 on it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
sjlee said:

:stupid:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
I't means you're stupid and I'm with you. :moves next to Maude Flanders:
Look dad now mommies stupid.

:simpsons reference:

anyway what joker said. I agree with you I'm not calling you stupid :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use McGuires polish on my 2001 Honda Civic GLI, and I can tell you that it shines nicely, like new, weeks after applying it :) It pays to get the more expensive brands, especially when using McGuires car cleaner too...!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Joker said:
Tony agrees with you :)
Joker - who doesn't think he is calling you stupid ;)
That's why I use the :sprint: smiley instead :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Waxing a new car is fine if you do just that, wax it. There shouldn't be any reason whatsoever to "clean" the paint of a new car unless it has some how gotten severely soiled. If you use waxes with any types of cleaners you're micropolishing the clear coat of your vehicle and actually creating microscopic scratches intended to remove more stubborn, and usually larger, surface contaminants and scratches. Just make sure the wax says it's just wax. I think some of the newer Meguiars products even have cleaners in them. When in doubt, just try Meguiar product #26, the Yellow Wax. It is a *pure* wax with a few other polymers mixed in for better surface adherance. It's considered to be part of the "pro" line of products but you can find it in most auto part stores. It has absolutely no cleaners of any kind in it. If you really want to go all out, try the #7 glaze first, then apply the wax.

Believe me, after having previously owned a black car, I learned real quick how to properly care for a car's finish.

I"ve had my Satin Silver Metallic TSX for about a month now and have applied two coats of #26 already.

Also, if you're going to use a rotary buffer, make sure you get one that spins in a random orbital fashion. This will go a long way towards eliminating those nasty circular pad shaped swirl marks you normally see created by non-random orbital buffers. They are especially noticable on darker finishes.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If that's the case, wouldn't it be better to use a polish instead of wax?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well polishes tend to produce a better shine and "wet look" on darker finishes but a wax, as far as Meguiars products go, adheres better to the finish. IMO, polishes are designed with more "oils" which actually permeate the finish to some degree, both moisturizing it and causing it to shine. When you rub something onto the finish of a car, to some degree it is also going *into* the clearcloat. Polishes are designed to do just this. Waxes provide more of a surface coat.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've heard of using both... first waxing the car, then polishing it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
sjlee said:
I've heard of using both... first waxing the car, then polishing it.
It's best to do it the other way around. Polishes/sealants last longer and adhere to the car better then waxes. If you do the wax first it won't work as well because it won't be adhereing to the car.

·
Registered
954 Posts
tony4311 said:
It's best to do it the other way around. Polishes/sealants last longer and adhere to the car better then waxes. If you do the wax first it won't work as well because it won't be adhereing to the car.
Yeah, you're definitely right... not sure what I was thinking when I typed that, but I had it backwards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts