Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to make this clear, I am just interested in this and am wondering if anyone has done this.

I went and did some backroad twisties last weekend to test out the car. Everything was superb but one thing kept me from having full confidence. The speed variable steering. It made it hard for me to chuck it in the turns the way I want because at different speeds the steering ratio differs. What are your thoughts?

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts
hit the VSA button and turn it off.... i think it makes a little difference when cornering hard

btw its Vehicle Stability Assist...

it slows certain wheels on corners to keep you safe, if you think you dont need it.... thats yur call, its a safety thing, however...the computer also doesnt know im lowered with all aftermarket quality suspension parts that can handle more

only turn it off when its dry out.... but it does make a difference

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hit the VSA button and turn it off.... i think it makes a little difference when cornering hard

it slows certain wheels on corners to keep you safe, if you think you dont need it.... thats yur call, its a safety thing, however...the computer also doesnt know im lowered with all aftermarket quality suspension parts that can handle more

Oh so the variable steering ratio is done through the ECU? It isn't mechanical? Just to clarify, I'm talking about the "speed-proportional power steering."

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
bypass the power steering pulley if you want.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Oh so the variable steering ratio is done through the ECU? It isn't mechanical? Just to clarify, I'm talking about the "speed-proportional power steering."
Only the 2G TSX (2009+) has electric steering, which gives them variable steering ratio dependent on speed. The 1G TSX (2004-2008) does not have it. The 1G TSX uses hydraulics.

This is probably what the OP is referring to. If his car is detecting stability issues, it'll use brakes to help the car stay on track. For example, if the car is starting to slide out during a turn, the car will activate the brakes on the inside so the car turns in more.

OP, it sounds like your tires can't handle your spirited driving, or you might need to upgrade your suspension.

By the way, to check and make sure it was the VSA system, a yellow-orange ! light will turn on or flicker on the dashboard whenever VSA is engaged. You can press the VSA button and the indicator light will stay on (in case you don't know where it is on the dashboard). I usually trigger the system on a daily basis, but I won't notice the indicator unless I look down at the dashboard while the system is working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts