Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 06 TSX PWP AUTO

I know the Weapon R header comes with a straight pipe but I don't want the noise or smell of a straight pipe. I want to add a cat but do not want to use my existing OEM cat (so I can return to stock later). I was thinking of buying a universal cat (magnaflow a possibility) and have someone weld it to the straight pipe.

What size of cat openings would I buy?
What should I be concerned about, if anything?
A cat that doesn't trigger an O2 sensor. What would that be?
Any cat suggestions?
I would assume I would need one O2 extender cable?

I was also thinking of another used 06 TSX cat to weld to the straight pipe.

Thanks for any input you may have.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Just weld whatever CAT u want to your WeaponR. Any decent muffler shop can do it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
bump curious to see if the fastline spun metal cat directly bolts on without any modification...
it wont with the weapon R, it will with comptech, dc, anything with 3 bolt flange

Reactions: pjotsx

·
-
1,597 Posts
Car: 06 TSX PWP AUTO

I know the Weapon R header comes with a straight pipe but I don't want the noise or smell of a straight pipe. I want to add a cat but do not want to use my existing OEM cat (so I can return to stock later). I was thinking of buying a universal cat (magnaflow a possibility) and have someone weld it to the straight pipe.

Any cat suggestions?

I was also thinking of another used 06 TSX cat to weld to the straight pipe.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Some times in life you have to do some research on your own!!

The Weapon R header is a good choice but it's not a perfect header for the TSX.
The Weapon R test pipe is 2.5" OD & has an issue on how they placed the O2 sensor bungs.

Here are a couple of threads: Use the search function to find more info on the Weapon R header for the TSX.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/51346-plm-header-review.html

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/50988-weapon-r-race-headers-w-review.html

Unless you absolutely have to run a catalytic converter for legal purposes, I would try running the test pipe & see how it goes.

If you need to install a cat, measure up the test pipe & start researching what 2.5" in/out cat will fit.
Any muffler shop will be able to weld it in for you. You may
have to move or change the O2 sensors bung but the muffler shop can easily do that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. That was helpful. I couldn't find the diameter of the test pipe but now that I know its 2.5, it will make hunting for a new free flowing cat much easier.

Would a OEM cat be the right size to weld in the test pipe or is the diameter smaller?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
320 Posts
if you're choosing weapon-r for the hp gains putting a cat on will result in less power

that being said

2.5"
finding an exhaust shop to do the work
Club RSX.com: Vibrant J-Spec Outlet Flange Kit i recommend this
use an angled defouler
Any cat suggestions?
vibrant?
yes, unless you want to extend your stock one

hope that helps

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks euro argh. What does the outlet flange kit do? I you guessed, I know little about exhausts and since I have ordered the weapon r and I am committed to adding a cat (avoid the smell and noise of a straight pipe), I want to make sure I have all the correct parts before going to the exhaust shop. Will I need to buy an exhaust gasket (http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/VIB-1457.html)? If so, will I need to buy two for each end of the pipe?

I would assume this is the cat you were referring to:
http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/VIB-7101.html

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts