Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Addicted
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
-
1,562 Posts
I'm sorta in the market for a header & look forward to your comments & pics.

Here is a thread with a dyno run & install tips from TodaSI a few years ago:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/37360-weapon-r-race-header-dyno.html

Since the Weapon R- test pipe is quite long, it seems that it would be quite possible to keep the stock cat or install an aftermarket cat.
Cut off the front flange off the Weapon test pipe. Weld it up to the front of cat at the correct length.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
I'm sorta in the market for a header & look forward to your comments & pics.

Here is a thread with a dyno run & install tips from TodaSI a few years ago:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/37360-weapon-r-race-header-dyno.html

Since the Weapon R- test pipe is quite long, it seems that it would be quite possible to keep the stock cat or install an aftermarket cat.
Cut off the front flange off the Weapon test pipe. Weld it up to the front of cat at the correct length.
Same here not sure if I still want to keep my Comptech setup.. been looking around.. but for now might just upgrade to the fastline hfc, right now I have the 06+ Cat.

·
-
1,562 Posts
Same here not sure if I still want to keep my Comptech setup.. been looking around.. but for now might just upgrade to the fastline hfc, right now I have the 06+ Cat.

The Comptech header with a Fastline high flow cat is a really nice setup but TodaSI's Weapon R dyno comparison is convincing. :)

On the other hand, you would have no trouble selling your Comptech header & 06+ cat if you decide to change things up.

Off topic1.. I sure don't know how you California guys are getting away installing non-CARB exhaust parts & deleting your cats. :donno:

Offtopic2.. I also wouldn't mind Heeltoe's/Marcus's input into the header discussion!

·
Addicted
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok here is my official review. btw, 11:48pm and i just finished.

the install****
install was pretty straight forward for anyone who has done work on headers before. of course very tight space which made everything so much more challenging. rust was a big issue, but i read about it before the install so i had my WD-40 handy. (a must) my only set back was the bolts on the original CAT, were actually part of the cat itself (or it seemed to be), and weapon R did not include a set of bolts for the test pipe, so i had to run out and buy a set of 3 bolts to fasten the test pipe onto the rest of the exhaust. no biggie though. would have been convenient if i had those handy though. Also, the test pipe has 2 holes on it made for the o2 sensors, but the front o2 sensor nearest to the headers does not reach the hole designated for it. i believe weapon R makes a CEL sensor to block the check engine light, perhaps this fits into that hole? worth researching...

the performance***
(Preface: I have a hondata reflash and an injen cold air intake, which im sure helped with the performance) but wow. the difference is definitely noticeable. pulls are much harder, more noticeable, and Vtech literally is awakened. not only does it pull hard, but it sounds very loud. everyone in your car, AND the people next to you will know when you hit vtech. crusing noise though isnt too bad, surprisingly. its kinda the best of both worlds really.

the other stuff***
yes, it smells. not like rotten eggs, more like a rice patties (^_^) only kidding, but it smells like any other car running without a cat. ever been stuck behind an evo that clearly looks like its been worked on? and its noticeable. when parking, the smell catches you, and once you get out of your car its like "oh was that me?!?" not enough to be turned away from it though. alot of back fire, but thats to be expected i think. again, not enough to be upset about or turned off by it, its actually rather enjoyable. but its there, and you wont forget it.

my overall take***
i like it. this is the first set of headers i have changed on THIS car, so i dont have anything to compare it to other than stock setup, but im very pleased with the results. 1-10 score, i give it an 8, only because i wish i would have gotten the CEL eliminator do-hickey, and because i was unaware of my trip i was going to have to make.

anything i did not cover or any questions you might have, feel free to ask!! =D

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts

the install****
install was pretty straight forward for anyone who has done work on headers before. of course very tight space which made everything so much more challenging. rust was a big issue, but i read about it before the install so i had my WD-40 handy. (a must) my only set back was the bolts on the original CAT, were actually part of the cat itself (or it seemed to be), and weapon R did not include a set of bolts for the test pipe, so i had to run out and buy a set of 3 bolts to fasten the test pipe onto the rest of the exhaust. no biggie though. would have been convenient if i had those handy though. Also, the test pipe has 2 holes on it made for the o2 sensors, but the front o2 sensor nearest to the headers does not reach the hole designated for it. i believe weapon R makes a CEL sensor to block the check engine light, perhaps this fits into that hole? worth researching...

the performance***
(Preface: I have a hondata reflash and an injen cold air intake, which im sure helped with the performance) but wow. the difference is definitely noticeable. pulls are much harder, more noticeable, and Vtech literally is awakened. not only does it pull hard, but it sounds very loud. everyone in your car, AND the people next to you will know when you hit vtech. crusing noise though isnt too bad, surprisingly. its kinda the best of both worlds really.

the other stuff***
yes, it smells. not like rotten eggs, more like a rice patties (^_^) only kidding, but it smells like any other car running without a cat. ever been stuck behind an evo that clearly looks like its been worked on? and its noticeable. when parking, the smell catches you, and once you get out of your car its like "oh was that me?!?" not enough to be turned away from it though. alot of back fire, but thats to be expected i think. again, not enough to be upset about or turned off by it, its actually rather enjoyable. but its there, and you wont forget it.

my overall take***
i like it. this is the first set of headers i have changed on THIS car, so i dont have anything to compare it to other than stock setup, but im very pleased with the results. 1-10 score, i give it an 8, only because i wish i would have gotten the CEL eliminator do-hickey, and because i was unaware of my trip i was going to have to make.

Great Review, +Rep

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
great review but vtech is a phone company man....

while what you really meant was:

its a pet peeve of mine :laugh: (f)(l)(a)(

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts
i currently rock the dual wireless vtechs at home haha

nice review... i wanna go long tube + test pipe but dont wanna smell bad...

·
Addicted
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great Review, +Rep
Thankyou Mayuga!

nice review, you plan on going to the track anytime soon???
i certainly intend to go sometime. my last roomate tracks his supercharged NSX at the track in Sebring, and he certainly got me addicted to going and being in it. still i have some work before i can step up i think, so no time soon.

great review but vtech is a phone company man....

while what you really meant was:

its a pet peeve of mine :laugh: (f)(l)(a)(
haha Sorry. =P i felt kinda funny when i wrote it out like that, but i figured we all know what im taking about.

·
-
1,562 Posts

the install****

the performance***

the other stuff***

my overall take***

Thanks for the update.

As for the O2 sensors, I'm surprised that the front O2 sensor cable was too short. Did you read the link to TodaSi's install above? He didn't need one but I don't really like how he orientated the O2 sensors pointing up on the cat eliminator pipe.

Either way an O2 extension cable is the easy fix for that. .
You would never install on O2 defouler or CEL elimininator on the FRONT O2 sensor, only the REAR one.

ClubRSX has both O2 extension cables & 3 styles of CEL eliminators. They're pretty cheap & free shipping within the US.

Club RSX.com: TSX Exhaust System Parts

Was the hanger on the header correctly oriented? Did you connect it to the chassis or just leave it unconnected like TodaSi did?

Thanks for any further info & possibly pics!

·
Addicted
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks Calgary. you picture you supplied was very helpful. but i think this is the only way the pipe can be positioned in order for both of the o2 sensors to reach... well, without any extensions. i should have snapped some photos last night but literally after working for near 5 hours, i just wanted to finish. =P tonight i will get under her again and get a good look at whats going on with the o2 sensors. will get pics too.

Thanks for the site too! i ordered a CEL eliminator today, hopefully that will come in rather quickly.

as for the header, i actually didnt connect it to the chassis in any way. i saw were the stock one mounted onto the chassis, but there was no mounting point on the header, so i figured it wasnt too necessary.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts