Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! Now that I'm tracking the Tsx I need to lose some weight.. And so does the car....

ME: So... This is a tough topic for me as I have been gaining weight steadily since graduating college and working a day job.
I had a challenge with my college roommate junior year to see who could get to 180 (we were both 165)... that was then while we were working out 5 times a week.
I called him last week to tell him i haven't been to the gym in over 2 mos, and i just hit 205.. the heaviest ive ever been .. So with a diet, cycling class 3 times a week, and lifting weights i have hopefully plateaued and will be coming down from my high...
So now to the good stuff. Im losing weight and so should my car.. its only fitting right?

So I want to hit the cheapest things first, but i also want to reduce the weight of the front as much as possible...

Help me out guys, what saves the most weight?
What is the cheapest/ most cost effective?
What have you done that lightened your load?

I have read some threads and have a few ideas.
1st: I dont want to lose functionality of the car and interior...
2nd: weight on the tsx is 60 front/ 40 back which makes for some busted @ss front tires last time I hit the track

Thoughts of mine in order of price / weight benefit:

1) NRG battery 14 lbs vs 28 current yellow top optima (where to mount? who does the relocation?)
I looked at password JDM engine mount as the easiest and cheapest likely solution

2)Everyone says pulleys , im contemplating just the XLR8 crank as its cheaper and i dont want to underdrive accessories.

Now this is where it gets tough, what other options, what next?

carbon hood?
RB BBK-reducing unsprung mass?
I want race seats but dont want the airbag issues
I was thinkin 05 ep3 or maybe rsx type s , and some after market manual brackets (WILL THESE WORK)and keep factory airbag intact??

All suggestions are great thank you for all the input and the help!!

Heres what I have so far (all pertaining to weight loss from stock):
Motegi mr125- 15 lb wheels
Comptech header
FLP HFC
Apexi WS2 (as far as exhaust is this a heavier one? )
Carbon Icebox lid (removed resonater and piping behind the radiator mount/ headlight from stoock airbox)

Link to my build thread if you have any questions or want to see...
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/tsx-build-threads/102945-tsxtx-dd-track-build.html

OPINIONS, COMMENTS, CONCERNS, QUESTIONS, ADVICE I want it all!

·
Team HD
355 Posts
Move the new lightweight battery as far back and low as possible, think rear bumper support haha.
Definitely go for two piece rotors.
I like the feel of ep3 seats better than the 05-06 RSX-S seats, but that's just me.

That's about all I can say, I don't know much else. Good luck with both of your goals!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Move the new lightweight battery as far back and low as possible, think rear bumper support haha.
Definitely go for two piece rotors.
I like the feel of ep3 seats better than the 05-06 RSX-S seats, but that's just me.

That's about all I can say, I don't know much else. Good luck with both of your goals!
Thanks man!

Me too on the ep3, I think they would look great and be way lighter. The only issue is if their airbags would clip directly into the tsx...

If any one knows that would be super helpful

I was thinking of mounting the battery where the spare tire goes but am a little iffy on that. Don't wanna lose my spare.

Two piece rotors would be the tits.

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
I'd love to get the CL7 Recaros or some other lighter more race type seat but besides being super expensive - the family man in me wishes I didn't lose the side airbag (or all airbags due to throwing a code?).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Team HD
355 Posts
If you buy Recaro sportster seats, I do believe there is an option to have side air bags installed. That's basically what the euro r seats are.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The resistor trick does work to keep the airbag light off. No need to spend $75 for a kit though. Just a $0.20 resistor will do the trick nicely. There's also a small sensor to move from the stock seat to the new seat, but it's not hard. I have an SRD in my TSX, no airbag lights, everything functions as normal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info! Would you be so kind as to post a DIY for us? I personally am completely unskilled when it comes to wiring but would be willing to give it a shot with some decent instructions. I know many people would benefit from this DIY!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The resistor (2ohm I think, but I can check - it's not a critical value) jumpers the SRS connector, as I recall. The sensor is a strange little thing, bolted to the stock seat, that I just unbolted and zip-tied to the new seat bracket. no SRS/airbag lights or codes. I used JDM CL9 brackets with a USA Recaro SRD seat I had. The brackets are basically symmetrical, so if you are only doing one seat (like in my case) the passenger bracket could be used to do another driver's seat. I left the Passenger seat in place for a couple reasons, but primarily since it has a computer connected to (inside?) it that deals with sensing if someone is in the seat, etc.,

I will try to take pics and post them sometime soon.

Saved about 20-25lbs from swapping the seat, btw.

Other weight reduction: get a sealed Hawker energy battery, they get as light as 7-14lbs, (I believe the one I have used is about 6" x 7" x 2.5" or so - I have 3 of them, in my other cars) mount it in the rear within the spare tire possibly. Wire it with 0 guage and a breaker to the front of the car. That's on my list at some point.

lighter wheels and rotors pay a big dividend since it is rotating mass, which adds a factor or 3 or 4x the weight reduction of static mass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts