Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a faint buzzing/chirping when I'm on the gas pedal. It only occurs when I'm on the gas, just the slightest touch and the buzz/chirp is back. It also happens when using the cruise control.

Is it a transmission issue or a drive by wire issue/ throttle body buzz? It shifts fine, recently did a 2x drain and fill with Honda ATF. I've had it for about 3 months, it's an 05 AT with 170k. Does anyone know what this may be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chirp sounds like its coming from the engine bay only when you press the gas pedal. Even the slightest touch and it's there even with the cruise control it is there. I haven't checked if it's there at idle...I'll check.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it happens while the car is not moving too have someone blip the throttle while you listen for noise under the hood. My first guess is something in the serpentine system. A pulley, bearing, tensioner or the belt itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking the same about the serpentine system. I changed the belt and I know I have a noisy alternator however the slightest touch of the throttle makes the buzz/chirp return. I'm guessing that the slightest touch of the gas pedal isn't enough to effectively change the speed of the crank and subsequent alternator pulley. There is a negligible change in rpm when you touch the gas pedal which I don't think translates to the alternator. Hopefully you understand my logic (I'm maybe not explaining myself properly).

What I'm trying to say is I already have a whining alternator however the chirp/buzz comes in only when you touch the gas pedal and stops once you get off the gas (no gradual decrease in the noise like you would expect with a pulley as rpm returns to normal)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Keep in mind the pulley ratio from crank to alternator is usually about 3:1... I don't know the exact ratio without looking up diameters of the pulleys. So at idle... Let's say 800 at the crank, that means the alternator is turning 2400rpm or so. A blip of the throttle, say to 1000rpm, would put the alternator up to 3000ish. Given the fact that the condition only exists under load and the belt is new, I would look at idler pulley, tensioner, or maybe even a bearing inside an accessory. Do you have a mechanics stethoscope or long screwdriver to use as one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the tensioner pulley when I changed the belt, it didn't have a noise. The pulley on the alternator doesn't spin smooth and there is a whine coming from it (I'll ride it out until I can buy a new one). I just seems that the chirp/buzz is distinct from the whine of an alternator or power steering pump pulley.

Idk....I'll remove the belt and run the engine without the accessories and see if I still get the buzz/chirp. I just hope it's not the transmission. I had an 06 6MT and it had a weird whine in 3rd gear (like a super charger sound) and an Acura tech told me it was the differential bearing going out. So now I have an 05 AT and hope it's not another transmission issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
2 Participants
Lucky
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing