Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird coating in the wheel wells and underneath my TSX. The previous owner lived in Michigan, so I know this is some sort of rust prevention coating. Did Acura apply this coating? How can I tell if it was for prevention or to cover up something existing? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
show us some pictures and ill go look at my car to see if there is any coatings myself

Out right now, will try to take pics when I get back to my house. Let me know if you have some sort of black coating on your undercarriage. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Most likely it isn't for damage but more for protection from corrosion. This is offered in areas with harsh winter climates to protect from rust and salt. Pictures will help to be 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I'm also willing to bet that it's a rust prevention coating though pictures would almost certainly help.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Not only that, I would also bet it doubles as a sound insulation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a screwdriver and scraped some of it off to see if there was any rust under it and I didnt find anything. I guess I am just paranoid, I don't want to buy a rust trap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the carfax and the original dealer that purchased the vehicle shows that they did a paint sealant/fabric guard on it. I wonder if that is the coating underneath the car?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Paint sealants are applied to the exterior to protect the paint from acid rain and ultraviolet rays - highly unlikely that they would apply this to the underbody. However maybe they rustproofed it at the same time and just left the description as paint sealant :dunno: Also carfax, as great as it is, doesn't have access to every facility which means the rustproofing could have been done at a private garage which is common as I personally find that dealerships charge too much for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts