Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a really weird sound coming from the clutch (not the pedal but the actual transmission). It happens about 50% of the time when starting from a dead stop in 1st gear. Very seldom, it happens in 2nd when acclerating -- immediately as I am letting the clutch pedal up.
My best description of the sound is someone saying "hoo" in a high pitched voice. Like an owl with some helium inhalation!

What could this be?

2004 6MT, original clutch, 180,000km (about 112,000 miles).

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I've been getting a really weird sound coming from the clutch (not the pedal but the actual transmission). It happens about 50% of the time when starting from a dead stop in 1st gear. Very seldom, it happens in 2nd when acclerating -- immediately as I am letting the clutch pedal up.
My best description of the sound is someone saying "hoo" in a high pitched voice. Like an owl with some helium inhalation!

What could this be?

2004 6MT, original clutch, 180,000km (about 112,000 miles).
I know what you mean. I used to have that in my integra. The mechanic diagnosed it to be a worn out clutch or something, can't remember. But I sold the car before I even changed the clutch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As previously stated, its the throwout bearing in need of lubrication. This is a common issue on 6MT's (seems to be more pronounced with cooler temperatures). Fortunately, aside from the noise, it wont harm anything to let it ride like that. Unfortunately, to fix the issue, it's basically the same work as replacing the clutch...

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Everyone suggests the clutch release (throwout) bearing but this confuses me. The OP describes the problem occuring only during clutch engagement. If the bearing is going bad, shouldn't it make a noise (usually a screech of squeal) anytime the clutch is disengaged? So, anytime you're sitting there with the pedal pressed, the bearing should be making noise. At least, that is how my bearings have acted when they failed.

To me, this description sounds like the noise is produced when the clutch disk begins to contact the flywheel and pressure plate. Noise is only produced when the clutch disk isn't spinning or is spinning at a much lower (angular) velocity than the flywheel and pressure plate.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone suggests the clutch release (throwout) bearing but this confuses me. The OP describes the problem occuring only during clutch engagement. If the bearing is going bad, shouldn't it make a noise (usually a screech of squeal) anytime the clutch is disengaged? So, anytime you're sitting there with the pedal pressed, the bearing should be making noise. At least, that is how my bearings have acted when they failed.

To me, this description sounds like the noise is produced when the clutch disk begins to contact the flywheel and pressure plate. Noise is only produced when the clutch disk isn't spinning or is spinning at a much lower (angular) velocity than the flywheel and pressure plate.
That is kinda what I was thinking after more reading. It seems to make the noise at the exact time the clutch grabs and the car begins to move forward.
Could this basically just be a wearing-out clutch disc?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

That's a good point. I don't think it's a worn out clutch disc. I could be wrong. Give it some full throttle once the clutch is engaged to see if there is any slipping.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the same issue with my 04 and I can best describe as sounding like my tire rubbing the fender. And yes it is more pronouned during cooler temperature and on steep hills.

And ton8383 how could you possibly like the noise? I cringe everytime I hear it.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you see by post on Azine? I suspect the mainshaft splines are no longer greased.
Would this have any relation to me having replaced the R axle (half shaft -- not the entire shaft to the transmission)?

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
No, it would just be due to mileage on the original clutch or if you just put in a new clutch, lack of lube upon assembly.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The noise went away for about 4-5 days as it was damp/raining all week. Since it's dried up over the past 3 days, the noise is back. Does this still sound like something internal to the clutch/transmission?

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
I think that this is in fact a good indicator of what I was talking about. I hypothesize that dampness was helping the lubrication and thus eliminating the noise.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Has this issue been solved. I am still dealing with an issue like this and before dropping a thousand bucks to get my clutch replaced I would like to see if I should start smaller?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes sounds just like tires rubbing !! And I feel like it happens to me more often when it's cold or when I'm on a hill (riding the clutch longer)

This only happens to me like 5% of the time when I'm engaging in first gear. But it kills me every time I hear it haha

Anyone know a for sure fix yet ?

I have the same issue with my 04 and I can best describe as sounding like my tire rubbing the fender. And yes it is more pronouned during cooler temperature and on steep hills.

And ton8383 how could you possibly like the noise? I cringe everytime I hear it.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Yes sounds just like tires rubbing !! And I feel like it happens to me more often when it's cold or when I'm on a hill (riding the clutch longer)

This only happens to me like 5% of the time when I'm engaging in first gear. But it kills me every time I hear it haha

Anyone know a for sure fix yet ?

This happened to me once, 2 weeks ago, cold (20-35 degree) night parking in a parking lot with a very slight incline.

It only happened though when I needed to give a bit of throttle clutching out (since it was on an incline). Normally I give enough throttle (around 1100 rpms) and clutch out, but that night to not roll back (incline+tight spot+cars lol) I was giving 1600-2000 rpms), and as I clutch out and the car starts to move, noise appears..

Btw I only heard the noise because my window was open lol.

Have tried it since to replicate problem, hasn't come back. Under normal throttle/clutching out conditions I don't hear anything.

But the only time I did hear it, it indeed sounded like a mix of a faint owl on drugs hoo-ing/rubbing noise lol.

I tried to see later on that night to see if my clutch was slipping, but 35mph + 6th gear full throttle = no slippage.

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
I'm getting the same rubbing tire sound, also only when its really cold out. Happens on the first take off after a cold start. I first heard it this winter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bout to drive me crazy. It's when I'm disengaging the clutch. I had my dad look under the hood while I got the car to make the noise and it's coming from where the cables attach to the transmission housing. Is slave cylinder a possiblity? I brought to a transmission shop and the mechanic told me it was a broken spring in the clutch disc but I'm not so sure about that. Just dont want to blow the money on a clutch and labor if not necessary. I will try to have a friend who works at Honda take a look sometime next week and I'll post what he says.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problem hasn't happened, at least not that I've noticed, in a month or so. Maybe because it's been fairly cold here, I don't know.
Car is in the body shop after a snowplow truck backed into my fender/hood/headlight but I should be back in its drivers' seat by Friday. Currently, the Kia Soul rental I have is making me REALLY miss the TSX. What a POS this thing is!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts