Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Florida
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I was driving to work and my A/C started blowing warm. Once I got to work I noticed the AC Compressor wasn't spinning. So it's pretty much gonna need a whole new compressor kit. ($750+). And I still need a new clutch.

I'm now in a pickle, do I bite the bullet and spend the $2500 to fix the clutch and AC, or sell my parts, and trade the car in?

Ughhhhhh. Help me!

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Well it's up to you but if it was me I'd go the route that saves me money.

Right now you estimate yourself at spending $2500 to be headache free. Would selling the parts and trading in the car save you $2500?

Now if you trade in your TSX for a 2000 Civic, of course you'll be saving money. But what are you trading it in for? If you're trading in your TSX for a BMW, do you have to pay $2500 or more to own it?

Remember you already thought about trading in the car because you didn't want to spend $2500. But if you traded the car without thinking and end up spending more than $2500 on the new car, then you pretty much screwed yourself over.

·
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AC compressor people on K20a.org throw away pretty much cause they dont use them for their swapped cars. I bet you you can get one for $50 with very low miles.

Clutch...well get your hands dirty and it's not too much hassle. You can finish it in a day and a few beers later.

I will look into that for sure.

Well it's up to you but if it was me I'd go the route that saves me money.

Right now you estimate yourself at spending $2500 to be headache free. Would selling the parts and trading in the car save you $2500?

Now if you trade in your TSX for a 2000 Civic, of course you'll be saving money. But what are you trading it in for? If you're trading in your TSX for a BMW, do you have to pay $2500 or more to own it?

Remember you already thought about trading in the car because you didn't want to spend $2500. But if you traded the car without thinking and end up spending more than $2500 on the new car, then you pretty much screwed yourself over.
You're right, I'm just thinking ahead and if anything else is gonna go wrong I guess.

I saw that today. I have done a lot to cars, but never messed around with AC system.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
I say fix it... Why get yourself into another loan if your tsx is paid for?

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
You've checked fuses and relays right?

Even if it's the compressor, fix it all and keep her.

·
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've checked fuses and relays right?

Even if it's the compressor, fix it all and keep her.
I checked the fuses, and I just switched someone the same relays with nothing. The AC sounds like its clicking on, but the clutch isn't engaging.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you verify it has proper pressure in the system? Grab a paper clip and unplug the pressure switch in the A/C low side (smaller pipe) jump the connector with the a/c on in the car and see if the compressor engages.

·
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't see a pressure switch on the low side?

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
The clutch job, while lengthy, is very straight forward. I saved myself 900$ in labor doing it myself. It did take 2.5 days though :p Look up my thread on my thoughts and how i went about doing it.
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...d-my-clutch-flywheel-insight-pics-inside.html
As for the A/C, since when is a new compressor 750$?? Buy a reputable brand rebuilt compressor kit (including receiver/drier) put it in yourself, and take it to a shop to vac/fill the system.. voila! done.

·
Registered
714 Posts
someone posted up a ton of k20 bits on k20a.0rg the other day. im sure there was air compressors on there

·
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sending it into my Buddies shop on Tuesday. Got a good deal on everything.. I can't leave the TSX world yet..

New Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
New Exedy 9lb fly Wheel
Redline Tranny Fluid
New AC parts
New Belt
Valve Adjustment

$1700 Includes Labor

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Cool shit jay... I told you just fix her up and your good...

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
That isn't a bad price if you aren't mechanically inclined or don't have the tools to do the work.
The valve adjustment is a piece of cake! I've done so many.. I like knowing the fact my valve lash is on the tight end of the spec for both the intake and exhaust to squeeze out every bit of power from the engine!

·
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That isn't a bad price if you aren't mechanically inclined or don't have the tools to do the work.
The valve adjustment is a piece of cake! I've done so many.. I like knowing the fact my valve lash is on the tight end of the spec for both the intake and exhaust to squeeze out every bit of power from the engine!
I know my ish when it comes to cars, and have done several clutch.. I just don't have the space, nor the tools anymore. But for the price, its not too bad. Its 1k in parts alone.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i think as the years go by, our cars will be more and more valuable, especially as the "civic kids" as i call them, grow up. with more tuning options available, our cars will be pretty hot commodities imho. honda just doesn't make cars like ours any more.

made in japan, ivtec, nice balance of refinement and sporty driving, just the right size, decent fuel economy, etc., etc., etc, makes our cars great cars to have.

i'm planning on keeping mine until it turns into dust...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts