Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today wasn't a five-star day for me. I drove into Philly with my bike (conveniently fits in the car with seats down and front wheel off), rode around Center City with my camera on a beautiful day, then came back to this mess.

While I was gone, some lady made a bad turn on the Ben Franklin Parkway and hit some other dude, who went careening into me. More pics are at the below link - the red truck hit me, the white truck was the offending car. :mad:

http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/jcg878/TSX accident/?multi=5

Any tips on dealing with insurance companies and body shops? This is new to me.

:( :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
549 Posts
ouch... i dont know how to deal with them, but i can say im sorry... :-\

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
oh man that blows. Sorry to see that

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
I am very sorry about what happened. :(
Contact your insurance agent, and they will explain all of your options.
Again, I am very sorry. Please let us know how it goes.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
OMG!!! :eek:
Your poor TSX!! :bawling:
Soooo sorry to hear/see :(

Judging from the pic of the white truck, I'm assuming you were there when a police report was written?

I would think the white truck should be responsible for any damages to your car. Probably best is to call up your insurance company and ask their opinion on what actions to take.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
jcg878 said:
Any tips on dealing with insurance companies and body shops? This is new to me.
By the looks of this pic, your frame is bent (look at the bow in the right rear door.
http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/jcg878/TSX accident/?action=view&current=P1010091.jpg
With that said, your car may be a total loss. Your insurance agent will determine if it is worth it to fix, but most of the time when there is frame damage, the car is a total loss.
Again, contact your insurance company, and they will send an agent out to the car to determine the extent of the damage.
Best of luck!!!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
dang, I am very sorry about what happened to your TSX. I know how it is getting rear-ended, but mines wasn't that bad.:(

Like Joker said, contact your insurance agent, and they will explain all of your options. Keep us posted with about this.

:bawling:

·
Registered
332 Posts
OMG that sucks! I'm really sorry about what happened to your car. With a waiver of depreciation on your insurance, a write-off decision might be your best bet at this point, unfortunately. I hope it all works out.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Holy mother of moses. :surprised I drive/park on Ben Franklin Parkway all the time. In fact, I was just there this past Friday.

It just hurts to see those pictures. Sorry about what happened. Did the driver of the white SUV at least have insurance?

Depending on whether the car is a total loss, you may have some tough decisions to make down the road. I agree, keep close contact with your insurance agent, who will let you know what your options are.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I agree that there is definitely frame damage - bilaterally (C pillars), and I am hoping for a total loss - though after 21_in_az's experience, I am not expecting it (cross your fingers!). This just really sucks! Plus in two weeks I am getting married and already had enough to think about :rolleyes: I am hoping that this is the (rather big) 'hitch' in our plans.

I was there when the report was taken and my car was described as "parked, unattended" which I hear is a good thing. Everyone involved was insured, but I didn't get the info on the other two - I have the contact info for one, but both were taken to the hospital (that I work at, ironically) before I got everyone's info. The officer told me that it's in the police report, and I do have everyone's license plates (in the pictures).

Whatcham- I was parted on 22nd street right off the BFP.

The only positive about this entire thing is that although the car was clearly hit damn hard, there was no intrusion at all into the passenger compartment. 2 people sitting in the back would have been ok except for whiplash.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Obviously I am very sorry to see your TSX crunched, ouch!

Glad to hear you weren't hurt, that's still the most important thing to think about.

As for totaling the car or not, it may look real bad, but there is a percentage amount in terms of damage that must be exceeded for insurance companies to "total" a car. Vehicle value, age and replacement cost vs. repair cost.

Even though your car looks bad, they may still repair it. That said, it could turn out well depending on who does the work?

On July 4th 1994, while waiting at traffic light, my '89 Accord was rear ended by a pickup truck full of drunken "Native Americans" (we live right next to the Indian reservation).

The rear or trunk of my Accord literally disappeared as it was completely collapsed by the impact. I thought for sure no one could fix this car and that it would be a "write off" by the insurance company.

When they told me the percentage of damage was not over the threshold, I thought they were crazy. In the end, I was recommended to an excellent body shop who said they could repair the car. They saw how well kept the Accord was and couldn't believe it, I guess they felt sorry for me. In the end, it was more of a restoration than bodywork.

I figured it this way, since they wouldn't total it, if I wasn't happy, at the very worst I could always sell it. The work was so good, I ended up keeping it until last year when the tranny finally failed.

My suggestion is work with the insurance appraiser to help persuade him to total it if you feel that way. If they don't buy into that, get it fixed and live with it for awhile. If you're still not happy, you might want to sell or trade it in?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
wow so sad..i can picture it on the parkway...
seens lots of stupid people who don't know how to drive come real close.. but wow..

all i can say is thankfully you weren't in the car...

it's so painful to look at that tsx tho :/

·
Registered
37 Posts
i felt really sorry for u..... but u should be happy u r not in the car when dat happy...i think if u were in the car u would be injury too..... good luck wif ur insurence company....

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Man, that sucks out loud! Sorry!

From the pix though, looks like the white truck has damage on pass side, while red truck has drivers side and yours has pass side. WTF was that stupit beyotch doin when she hit the red trucK?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:attention

Update: Estimate - $16,500, 40 days to fix :mad: Just heard from the body shop.

I am sure it will be worth jack when I get it back, but I am thinking of trading it in if I can. I owe a lot on the car though, so it may not be worth it. I'm just concerned about little demons sneaking up on me over the coming years. Thoughts? He said that mechanically 'it's fine'.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
jcg878 said:
:attention

Update: Estimate - $16,500, 40 days to fix :mad: Just heard from the body shop.

I am sure it will be worth jack when I get it back, but I am thinking of trading it in if I can. I owe a lot on the car though, so it may not be worth it. I'm just concerned about little demons sneaking up on me over the coming years. Thoughts? He said that mechanically 'it's fine'.
Since the primary damage occured in the rear, you are actually better off. This was the same on my '89 SE-i, rear end damge is somewhat less difficult to repair as it is less complex.

Once the incident "hits the books" it will end up on CarFax, so if you plan to trade, they will know about it, especially if the dealer is doing the repair work.

Try not to freak out about it too much and see how it turns out? One thing to check is the repair facility's reputation and quality. Ask for references and be sure the insurance company endorses them and stands behind their work. Most legitimate shops will offer a lifetime guarantee to the original owner on workmanship.

Just make sure you tell everyone, insurance adjuster and body shop, you expect this car to look and operate like it was, brand new. No squeaks, rattles, leaks, drips, misalignments and no excuses!

Also, make sure the adjuster adds your statement to his records and you get a copy. In the event things don't turn out right, they can't say you didn't inform them of your expectations!

When you go to pick it up, go over it with a fine tooth comb. This is the best opportunity for the shop to get it right. Since the insurance company will be giving you a rental (most likely) you need to wait it out for the car to turn out right.

Most body shops are notoriously slow and miss due dates. If they try to rush it out, they may miss some things. Don't be quick to "take it and live with it" otherwise you will be pissed and need to bring it back again.

Remember, the body shop doesn't get paid unitil you pick it up, so this is your best opportunity for them to get it right. They have a vested interest in making you happy or they don't get paid.

At the very worst case, if all goes wrong, and you are forced to repeatedly bring your car back in for repairs related to the accident, you may be able to push for a replacement (similar to lemon law), but you may need legal counsel?

Have patience, have faith and you may be surprised?
Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts