Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, whats up?

I ordered a TSX last week, and should be picking it up on Friday of this week hopefully.

Now im looking into lowering it pretty soon..

I dont want to spend over a grand on lowering it, but I definatley want coilovers.

The most inexpensive way to me, seems like getting ground control coilovers, and a set of aftermarket shocks..

Now WHO makes aftermarket shocks for the TSX?
I tried to do a search, but didn't get many results..

Also, are there any other companies that make a GOOD coilover setup that will drop me close to about 3"? And is under $1200 i guess?

THanks for your advice guys,

- Najeeb

C

·
0 Posts
if u just want to lower your car 3 inch, just get the after market spring.
The coilver system will take you a lot of time to get the right setting, I think it's worth the time unless you're into autocrossing or tracking. A good set of spring only cost around $300 compare to a good set of coilver which cost around $1300.

·
Registered
26 Posts
koni makes shocks now, and i have the neuspeed race springs on my car...and the konis on order.

pics are in my sig, on cardomain.1blue1.gif

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Friends

Is the eibach and koni suspension set made for TSX suitable for a JDM Euro R ? I am from SIngapore and I haven't seen any koni and eibach for CL7 yet. We only have espelir springs or Tein coilovers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dexter

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
This is a good reference.

Dexter - Yes, they're compatible. The CL7 and CL9 uses the same chassis platform in the sedan variant. I'd however be inclined to make such a change especially on the CL7 considering the OEM setup is well tuned and balanced. If necessary, upgrade of performance coilovers must be selected to improve/maintain OEM standards set on the CL7.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Noel said:
This is a good reference.

Dexter - Yes, they're compatible. The CL7 and CL9 uses the same chassis platform in the sedan variant. I'd however be inclined to make such a change especially on the CL7 considering the OEM setup is well tuned and balanced. If necessary, upgrade of performance coilovers must be selected to improve/maintain OEM standards set on the CL7.
Thanks Noel...The factory suspension is comfortable but the ride sits too high. I would like to lower to 2 fingers gap but heard that my shocks will be damaged if i only change the springs. I am trying to find out if I changed to a spring with the same damper rate as the stock one will that be ok for my shocks. The spings available to me here are espeslir, kgmm and swift.

Any thoughts on lowering it w/o breaking the bank.

Thanks

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Dexter indeed, I share your common thoughts among I would guess just about every enthusiast on this board. The problem is, aftermarket springs will always have a higher damper rate, lower spring height to enable a compromising fit when used with the OEM shocks. They will be fine if it's mainly used for general road driving, especially in Singapore road conditions you'd be fine.

I'd go with Swift springs on a budget constrain since these are the ones used on the Zeal setup for racing/track work. In ideal, you'd want to stick to a close to OEM spring rate setup. Let me know what spring rates are available, Swift springs can be made in any spring rate requirement from 2KG/MM onwards up to 28KG/MM-30KG/MM.

But if you want my honest opinion, the Mugen NZ-Type damper setup is fairly priced and ideal for your requirements. Not only does it lower the ride height to your specifications, there's no tuning required. It's a simple replacement setup that'll improve road handling whilst retaining close to OEM comfort with that reduced height drop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Noel said:
But if you want my honest opinion, the Mugen NZ-Type damper setup is fairly priced and ideal for your requirements. Not only does it lower the ride height to your specifications, there's no tuning required. It's a simple replacement setup that'll improve road handling whilst retaining close to OEM comfort with that reduced height drop.
Mugen NZ Type ...Is that's Joker setup? My friend in HK managed to find a used mugen suspension setup for me at USD 650 plus shipping. I am not sure what model it is and how low it will lower my ride.

The SWIFT springs I have in mind is the sport mach series made for CL7. I really hope Mugen can market the spings alone for CL7.

I have Hyper Rev mag but its No. 83 for JDM Accords.

Thanks

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes that would be Joker's setup ... The Sports non-adjustable type (Mugen P/N - 50000-XKB-K0S0). Gives you an all round 25mm drop and a 5%-8% spring rate increase.

There is also a 5-way damper adjustable type (Mugen P/N - 50000-XKB-K1S0) available. Unfortunately Mugen don't just sell replacement springs.

Yes, Volume 83 doesn't cover much on the CL7/9 because there isn't much development in Japan on that. Though that is constantly changing and improving as time goes on.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
noel. a little off subject what is the difference between a cl7,9,and1??

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
No probs, general overview on differences ... johnej

CL1 - Previous JDM Accord Euro R (H22a 210PS 5MT)
CL7 - Current JDM Accord Euro R (K20a 220PS 6MT)
CL9 - Acura TSX/Honda Accord (K24a 200PS 6MT/5AT)

·
TSX Wannabe
16 Posts
Noel, I have a quick question or two, I drive an 03 Accord Ex Coupe with th K24 engine. Now, I know a lot of parts within the TSX and Accord are interchangable, however, when it comes to suspension, is that the case as well? I was told that I can use everything the TSX uses, including the camber kits and shocks. Can you validate this? Also, I am in real need of shocks, and see on KYB's site that they make it for the TSX/USDM Accord, but cannot find anyone that sells them. My car is riding in Tein S Tech with stock shocks. Ride is good, but I really want to change out the shocks! Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
iobidder said:
Now, I know a lot of parts within the TSX and Accord are interchangable, however, when it comes to suspension, is that the case as well? I was told that I can use everything the TSX uses, including the camber kits and shocks. Can you validate this? Also, I am in real need of shocks, and see on KYB's site that they make it for the TSX/USDM Accord, but cannot find anyone that sells them.
The Accord (US/Thailand built) you drive is the equal of our Accord V6 (Australia) and the Inspire (JDM). The chassis codes are not inline with the CL7/9 Euro R/Accord so no, I cannot and will not validate that the components are swappable. Although the chassis design does look alike but the components may not fit.

There is also no indication of JDM manufacturers nor sites saying that parts on the Euro R/Accord are compatible with the Inspire so it's a very tough call to simply pass that off as being possible. They may share similar components but that does not automatically put everything inline as being the same. Unless manufacturer specified on compatibility, I would not trust external sources without seeing prove. This is quite a different model change/fit when compared with the CL7 vs CL9 difference.

Don't you have a KYB reseller/distributor in your area? Also is that KYB Japan that is supplying the products?

·
TSX Wannabe
16 Posts
Noel said:
The Accord (US/Thailand built) you drive is the equal of our Accord V6 (Australia) and the Inspire (JDM). The chassis codes are not inline with the CL7/9 Euro R/Accord so no, I cannot and will not validate that the components are swappable. Although the chassis design does look alike but the components may not fit.

There is also no indication of JDM manufacturers nor sites saying that parts on the Euro R/Accord are compatible with the Inspire so it's a very tough call to simply pass that off as being possible. They may share similar components but that does not automatically put everything inline as being the same. Unless manufacturer specified on compatibility, I would not trust external sources without seeing prove. This is quite a different model change/fit when compared with the CL7 vs CL9 difference.

Don't you have a KYB reseller/distributor in your area? Also is that KYB Japan that is supplying the products?
Ingalls gives the same model number for the TSX and the 03-04 Accord for the camber kits. Rotors and pads also would have the same model number from different manufactures. Hmmmm, I have put TSX exhaust on my car, everything looks the same....I am confused now. I hope things will be interchangeable, that would be a HUGE benefit for Accord owners with the K24. By the way, the site is http://www.kyb.com/kyb.php . I hope there will be more answers soon!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
iobidder said:
Ingalls gives the same model number for the TSX and the 03-04 Accord for the camber kits.
Camber kits may bolt onto the same control arms but may not necessary mean the shocks/suspension are the same. One good example is the Civic SiR (EK4 Hatch DOHC VTEC B16a) and the Civic Si (EM1 Coupe DOHC VTEC B16a), almost identical but somewhat indifferent across multiple components.

Once again, unless the manufacturer of the product is willing to stand by and ensure a compatibility in fitment, I wouldn't jump into something without clear understanding.

Using the site you've provided, I've simply keyed in a zip code to pull up a listing of more than 30 or so KYB safety centers, I'd take it these are also KYB authorized resellers. I'm sure they can easily get you what you need through ordering.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Actually, to find out if they're identical parts or not. All you have to do is ring up your local Honda and Acura spares. Tell them to give you the OEM part numbers for the items you're interested at looking, in this case the replacement shock/spring. It should be identical part numbers if they're the same part on both different cars with different chassis codes.

·
TSX Wannabe
16 Posts
Noel said:
Actually, to find out if they're identical parts or not. All you have to do is ring up your local Honda and Acura spares. Tell them to give you the OEM part numbers for the items you're interested at looking, in this case the replacement shock/spring. It should be identical part numbers if they're the same part on both different cars with different chassis codes.

Good point, I will try that, but as far as the KYB centers, I have done that, people in my area don't carry them for my car yet....AH Well...I have to wait. To your knowledge, other than the body, what do you see as the differences between the 2 cars?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts