Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve done plenty of research and read many forums but everything seems outdated and I wonder if old issues have been fixed. I’ve heard the Plm headers leak/hiss, Dc headers break this test pipe/hiss, and I haven’t heard great things about the rest. Does anyone have a good suggestion? Preferablly something that you’ve had for a while and has been reliable but given power gains

·
Registered
223 Posts
As far as headers hissing/ratting goes, I got my TSX with DC headers put on already by the previous owners (also a test pipe, but I added back a Magnaflow high-flow cat because as a motorcyclist/bicyclist as well, I am all for emissions filtering).

They made that "rattling hiss on throttle" sound, which was solved by using a double braided flex pipe instead of the one that the headers came with.

In fact, I believe I came to that solution via posting to this very forum - here it is!

For me, the flex pipe that has worked well are from Vibrant: the VPE-62606 was initially indicated for use with the stock cat converter (or perhaps, urk, the test pipe...); but to work with the Magnaflow cat converter I have, I eventually had to upsize slightly to the VPE-62608 to fit better (while the 62606 did work with it to solve the rattle/hiss, it was very tight and stressed a different exhaust gasket that leaked after a while, and everything fit much better with the slightly larger size).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as headers hissing/ratting goes, I got my TSX with DC headers put on already by the previous owners (also a test pipe, but I added back a Magnaflow high-flow cat because as a motorcyclist/bicyclist as well, I am all for emissions filtering).

They made that "rattling hiss on throttle" sound, which was solved by using a double braided flex pipe instead of the one that the headers came with.

In fact, I believe I came to that solution via posting to this very forum - here it is!

For me, the flex pipe that has worked well are from Vibrant: the VPE-62606 was initially indicated for use with the stock cat converter (or perhaps, urk, the test pipe...); but to work with the Magnaflow cat converter I have, I eventually had to upsize slightly to the VPE-62608 to fit better (while the 62606 did work with it to solve the rattle/hiss, it was very tight and stressed a different exhaust gasket that leaked after a while, and everything fit much better with the slightly larger size).
Hey man thank you so much for the great response! Quick question, are you suggesting that I buy the threaded test pipe to replace the shitty Dc one and get it welded? Will this remove the hiss or is it only because your running an after market high flow Cat

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've run the Comptech headers with Fastline Performance high flow cat without issue for over 12 years (200,00 miles). Never had hiss issues or any other issues. Never head that Comptech headers were the best but they were the most available and an easy bolt-on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey man thank you so much for the great response! Quick question, are you suggesting that I buy the threaded test pipe to replace the shitty Dc one and get it welded? Will this remove the hiss or is it only because your running an after market high flow Cat
I don't really recommend running with a test pipe, but I do remember hearing this sound even before I replaced it with the HF cat. If you have the DC headers/test pipe thing already and are dealing with this sound, try the Vibrant flex pipe, it could be as simple as that. Not sure which size to get but I'd assume the smaller one - the only issue linking it up with the Magnaflow cat was that I had to get a slightly longer one to relieve tension on a different gasket.

If there is something "shitty" that came with the DC headers it's the flex coupling that vibrates resulting in what sounds like something between a hiss and a rattle; the test pipe is literally just a metal pipe more or less, unless it has a hole in it actually leaking exhaust through it, it's not going to be the source of noise.

·
Registered
720 Posts
First of all perhaps you can consider the Bo header made by a forum member. He references branded headers (I think his normal version is based on DC, and the race version is based on ASP) and make one for you. Build quality seems to be better than DC from what I read. Not sure if he still provide the service, but worth a look.

I had CT-Engineering and later moved to ASP, both with fastline HFC. CT-E is very solid, highly recommended for daily driving because it keeps the low-end torque, but opens up the mid-high range by a good amount compared to oem. If you can find an used one, grab it asap. DC is similar but the build quality is not as good.

A race header like ASP is a different animal. The benefit of race header is more top-end and the possibility to lower VTEC switchover with a tunr. ASP is a piece of art, and really uncork the top-end compared to CT-E (at the expense of low end, though). My car got almost 10hp peak bump just from the header over CT-E after tuning, and VTEC switchover is 4k. The power/response/sound in VTEC zone is so satisfying that I am ok with the loss in the low end. Not exactly PLM, but you get the idea what a race header can bring.

BTW, the exhaust drone increases with the header flow and race header can be loud.

Reactions: Litespeed08

·
Registered
Stupid auto..
101 Posts
LittleBo header, if he still makes them. he is a TSX club member. Fantastic header. Good power, good sound.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i've got the Sergbo/littlebo/raccoon header and it's been great in the year i've had it on my daily driver. fit great, ground clearance like stock, no noises, just a better power band. Might be upgrading to the hytech in the near future if anyone is looking. Don't think he's around anymore so you'll have to go the high end $1K headers like ASP to get something as good or better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts