Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 TSX 5at, 125k miles. I was wondering if there is anything i can do to help the car start easier. The car cranks relatively strong (new battery and starter), but it seems to crank for several seconds before wanting to start. It seems to be getting worse in its old age. It almost feels like i need to give it gas (like an old carburetor) when starting it. Maintenance is all up to date with the exception of a valve lash adjustment and there has never been any CEL's.

What parts would improve starting performance... Oxygen sensor? Could this be related to the DBW lag issues? Just looking for input or suggestions i guess, thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is not a CCA issue... The battery is new. It cranks longer than normal before actually starting.

·
Speed Density
72 Posts
Post a video so we can confirm what you are talking about. What is slow/hard starting for you might be normal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll see what i can do for a video. It might be normal, but i've been noticing it get worse this past year and today my wife even brought up how slow it was to start. She said it was "taking forever to start and running rough when it first starts". I don't think there is anything wrong with the car necessarily, since there is no CEL and MPG's are still normal. I just wonder if there is anything that i can do to get the car to fire up stronger than it currently does.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
From my experience the only time my TSX ever had a slow start was because of a weak battery that was dieing. If you have a new battery on your car and it starts very slow, my bet would be either the alternator or the starter. Do you have any other additional electronics in the car that might possibly be draining out the battery while the car is shut off?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The engine cranks just fine... it just cranks for too long before it fires up. It is not a battery related issue, i've already been down that road and solved that problem. I have a new battery and a new starter that helped the slow cranking issue that the TSX seems to have. The engine turns over for 4-5 seconds before it wants to start. It almost acts like its starving for fuel at startup, but the car runs fine after startup. This is why i'm wondering if the oxygen sensor or some other sensor might be going bad (but not bad enough to throw a CEL).

Again, i'm not looking for someone to know exactly how to solve this issue, but maybe someone has had a similar problem and replaced a DBW sensor, O2 sensor, or a fuel filter and noticed IMPROVEMENT in how quickly the car fires up, not the speed which the motor cranks, but the time in which it takes to start.

Sorry for the confusion everyone, your ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never put anything less than 91 in it... owned the car for over 5 years. I've noticed today that as long as the car is warm it starts fine. So this might be normal, but after it sits without running for a day or two is when its harder to start. This might be nothing out of the ordinary for a 7 year old car with 125k miles... but i would love to find a solution for the tired old girl!

·
Speed Density
72 Posts
If the cranking sounds fine like a normal crank, not a slow cranking start, then your problem is your fuel pump buddy. Check what's your fuel pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts