Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to drop my car the RIGHT way... so spring from neuspeed are about 170...what else do i NEED to buy....camber kit? shocks? i dont want extra performance i just want the lowered look without sacrificing anything besides driving slower over speed bumps....

Thanks
Tommy

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Camber kit and shocks are preferable, you can ride the stock struts if u want, but its not a great idea, the Camber kit is a must w/ any kinda drop on a TSX, otherwise your cars gonna look like Eleanor here...

<~~~~~ :laugh:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
You can use Stock Struts..However its not recommended, People have, but depending on the roads around u ect, not a great idea, also if ur cars got more then a few thousand on it, u gotta replace the struts too...especially if u wanna keep most of the smooth ride

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
2 ways ...
coilover+ camber kit or
aftermarket springs + aftermarket shocks + camber kit
the thing i would think abt coilover kit is that the only aftermarket shocks avaliable for TSX is acutally quite expansive ~ with its price + a set of springs u can acutally buy a Tein Basic-Damper coilover kit .. ~ so y not go for the better set up ... ~ but ofx .. there is nthing wrong with a springs + shocks set up

for aftermarket springs + stock shocks set up .. ~ with some aggressive driving .. ur shocks should be good in 2 yrs .. ~ and u probly need to look for a set of replacement shocks after 1.5yr ~ the thing is ... the ride will be bouncy .. but it's accetable .. and it wont wear out that fast .. at least mine still doing good after almost 20k km .. ~ :)
hope this will help .. ~

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the Eibach Pro-System and Sport-System spring/shock combinations are due in May 2005. They will sell for $500 and $400 respectively - pretty cheap for a spring/shock combination.

Personally, if I were going to spend $700+ on the Tein basic coilovers, I'd pay the extra couple hundred and get the Tein SS coilovers for damping adjustability.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
holdemplayer said:
do i have to get shocks? i cant use stock?
You said you want to do it the RIGHT way right?

So, do like me. Tein Basic coilovers and a rear camber kit. You dont want to just add springs, you will need to replace the stock struts eventually. So pay now rather then pay later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont laugh at me

forgive me if this is a stupid question, why only a rear camber kit and not front too? wont the camber in the front be messed up if i drop it too? and with coilovers....everytime i adjust them will i need a new alignment? and how much are tein basic coilovers? how much are tein ss coilovers? what is the difference between em....since i want rims soemtime down the road.... should i just save til i have enough for both? so i wont have to get my wheels aligned twice?

·
owned ur ass
200 Posts
joerockt said:
You said you want to do it the RIGHT way right?

So, do like me. Tein Basic coilovers and a rear camber kit. You dont want to just add springs, you will need to replace the stock struts eventually. So pay now rather then pay later.
:sprint: I totally agree with joe there, i had eibach prokit on my car for around 5k miles and stock shocks, and they all wore out and caused the most uncomfortable ride ive ever felt before. I just replaced all 4 shocks with koni adjustables and im loving it. So i highly reccomend saving time and money getting the entire spring/shock setup all at one time.

The front camber isnt bad unless you drop the front over 2 inches which isnt very likely in your case. The rear is the only place where the problem is. For the alignment, i purchased a 3 year plan to get free alignments over that 3 year period as often as i wished. Costed $115 at Tires Plus. So everytime i modify my suspension, or even if i get bored i take it in there. Though, i have been adjusting my stut dampening around, and havent had it re-alligned in a while, and it still drives perfect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if im never

if im never planning to goto the track will i be ok with tein basic coilovers? i just want my car to be dropped..without sacrificing ride quality

·
Mr GenK-JomBLo
191 Posts
does anyone know where can I buy TSX coilover (basic one) cheap ... < $700, Thanks guys ...

Genk

·
Registered
180 Posts
TSX Cman,

There are so many coilover kits set up for various purposes that it is impossible to compare "a" coilover set up to the A-spec package. But, generally speaking, coilovers will be firmer, have less body roll, less dive and squat under braking and acceleration, and have the ability to at least adjust height, but at the cost of some loss in ride quality. By virtue of greater lowering, a coilover equipped car will look much sportier than an A-spec equipped car.

A-spec will provide near stock ride quality, very modest lowering, and improved handling.

There are those who will complain that coilovers are too stiff and many who feel that they provide a good balance of ride vs. handling. With the A-spec, I doubt you will find ANYONE who would complain that they are too stiff.

You maintain your full factory warranty if your A-spec is installed by the dealer.

Installing coilovers may result in portions of your warranty directly affected by the suspension to not be covered. I think this is a very minor issue as it is unlikely that a coilover suspension would cause any damage to your car unless you excessively lower your it or make an installation error.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Genk,

I would not recommend buying a cheap coilover set up. If you are looking for something under $700, then you should consider the A-spec suspension ($600 through e-bay) or the Eibach Pro-System or Sport-System (both under $500).

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i think it's all abt how low u wanna drop the car and how much u willing to spend .. ~
a Tein basic damper should cost around 650 .. and i dont see y it's not as good as an A-spec suspension or Eibach System ~ it's cheap cuz it doesn't have damper adjustment which he doesn't need at all in this case .. ~
and u might regreat after putting on a new rims .. ~ that happened on my ride .. i put a set of 18" rims and the Eibached equipped car got jacked up abt 1 figure or so .. ~ if i got coilover in the first place .. i can just adjust it .. ~ :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Andynolife,

I agree. I'd personally prefer the Tein Basics over the A-spec. I was under the impression that the Basics would cost about $750. If they're $650, I'd go with the Tein Basics.

But, people like holdemplayer need to understand that the Tein Basics will ride firmer than stock. Joerockt can confirm this. There is no way one can lower a car 2", double the spring rate and yet maintain stock like ride quality. By no means would the ride be unacceptable. Personally, I prefer a stiffer and more damped ride than the stock configuration.

However, for those who would like to maintain stock or near stock ride quality, then A-spec would be the better fit.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
AlterZgo said:
Andynolife,

I agree. I'd personally prefer the Tein Basics over the A-spec. I was under the impression that the Basics would cost about $750. If they're $650, I'd go with the Tein Basics.

But, people like holdemplayer need to understand that the Tein Basics will ride firmer than stock. Joerockt can confirm this. There is no way one can lower a car 2", double the spring rate and yet maintain stock like ride quality. By no means would the ride be unacceptable. Personally, I prefer a stiffer and more damped ride than the stock configuration.

However, for those who would like to maintain stock or near stock ride quality, then A-spec would be the better fit.
Yea, I think the basics are a perfect balance between a stock and a "sport" ride. One of the issues with the stock ride is that you get a lot of body roll when going into turns. Its practicaly eliminated with the Basics. Along with the swaybar and larger tire contact, its a perfect setup for me.

So, next time around im gonna go for some stickyer tires. Seems to be the only limitation at this point. I have the Kumho 712's, I'll probably go with Toyo's next time...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
;)
btw .. ~ dont u guys thinkg the Kumho 712's is a bit annoying when u put some speed on the car ? i mean it makes quite some noise .. ~ i think ill replcaed them next yr .. but they grip quite well too .. ~ :rolleyes:

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Andynolife said:
;)
btw .. ~ dont u guys thinkg the Kumho 712's is a bit annoying when u put some speed on the car ? i mean it makes quite some noise .. ~ i think ill replcaed them next yr .. but they grip quite well too .. ~ :rolleyes:
YES. But its only under certian conditions, mostly the type of highway im driving on.

I've got at least 15-20K left on mine I would guess. Their wearing very evenly, I've rotated them every 3K. Got about 7K total on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts