Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching on the net for new & used TSX 6-speed. Anyway, I've noticed that some engine codes say 2.4L L4 or i4...what's the difference?

Is that what shows whether the car is auto or manuel? If so which one means what?

h1e1l1p

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've never heard of 'L' 4, but the 'I' stands for 'inline', meaning a straight engine where the cylinders are in a single row, as opposed to a V configuration like a V-8. L could stand for 'lateral', meaning the typical front-wheel-drive transverse layout (where the engine is oriented right-to-left instead of front-to-back). I suppose it could also stand for 'longitudinal', meaning the cylinders are in a straight line as well, but that's probably not correct, given the TSX's transverse layout.

Are you sure they're not just calling it a 2.4L 4 cylinder? In that case the 'L' would be for 'litres'.

In any case, the designations you're looking for are '6M', '6MT', or MTX. These are all shorthand for 'manual transmission'.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Officially it's K24A2

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Usually if the engine has an L (like L head 8) it is a flat head engine, with the valves on the side of the cylinders, This type of engine was common in the 50's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts