Acura TSX Forum banner

What intake?

4779 Views 38 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Vegito
What intake do you suggest for an 05 TSX? I would like good performance and a nice sound if possible. My friend has a maxima, and when he stomps on the gas the intake ROARS to life. Anything like that for the TSX?
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
what gains would you see from a Mugen or GruppeM intake? My main issue with my TSX is that it feels like a flintstone car when I try to accelerate, it feels like it takes a good second or 2 to get going (guess thats an issue with all 4cyl cars). What Intake/Mods will help with low end acceleration?

Again I have to ask noobie questions.. What Headers are available for the TSX and which are the best? thanks in advance
The Mugen airbox will improve low end torque. Match that with the Mugen catback, you should see some good torque improvements. The Mugen setup is bias to improve torque primarily from low to mid range.
Thanks Noel..

Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the 3-4k for a supercharger instead of 2k for the Mugen Intake and exhaust? I guess reliability is an issue but how harmful can a supercharger be to the engine.

why does mugen have to be so expensive :donno:
Just installed an AEM CAI, believe it is same price as Injen. Very easy to install (comes in red polished finish too). Has anyone else installed an AEM or heard about them? Noticed a bit more pull in higher RPM. There is a bit less in the low end.

Thanks, JJ
kord said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the 3-4k for a supercharger instead of 2k for the Mugen Intake and exhaust? I guess reliability is an issue but how harmful can a supercharger be to the engine. why does mugen have to be so expensive
I doubt you can get a supercharger kit for the TSX at that price, if I'm not wrong, there is not one available kit from the usual supercharging manufacturers as yet. Supercharging is a form of forced induction.

When you supercharge. You're throwing out your warranty for one and secondly, reliability may or may not be an issue depending on how you drive and if you further continue to add power modifications. Harmful or not, it's up to one's intepretion.

Mugen is expensive because Mugen spends alot of money on R&D and producing very high quality (Generally better than OEM standards) whilst ensuring performance gains are in line with the Honda tradition of modifying cars. While road/street oriented, it is not obnoxious and out of line.
Alright, how about breaking it down a little bit further? Can someone give me a link to a good place to buy the Injen and a bypass online?

Alright, afer some googling I found this:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/searc...kes&MainCategory=Air+Intake+Systems&type_id=2

The toss up is between the K&N, Injen and AEM. The price difference is negligble so it comes down to performance gains in the low gears... am I correct in expecting the Injen to win this battle? The bypass valve cost about $48, so for around $300 I'm going to get about a 3 horsepower increase and a deep rumble? Is this the first mod I hould do, or perhaps invest in a more performance oriented set of tires?
G
maybe I'm in the minority here...

but I think the best first mod is new tires. Michelin pilots are decent stock tires, but you'll notice the best "bang for your buck" if you allow the excellent stock chasis & engine to operate on better rubber.

That being said, I purchased my TSX in October, and I'm on Pilots until the spring...

....maybe I will get that CAI.... :D
The K&N and Injen cold air intakes are virtually identical in design. It comes down to brand preference instead.
Dralph. said:
but I think the best first mod is new tires. Michelin pilots are decent stock tires, but you'll notice the best "bang for your buck" if you allow the excellent stock chasis & engine to operate on better rubber.

That being said, I purchased my TSX in October, and I'm on Pilots until the spring...

....maybe I will get that CAI.... :D
Indeed. In all reality I just couldn't push myself to buying new tires when the stock are brand new.. I dunno, save some surprises for later I guess. The Injen it is, as soon as I sell this Palm T3. :)
csnoke said:
Alright, how about breaking it down a little bit further? Can someone give me a link to a good place to buy the Injen and a bypass online?

Alright, afer some googling I found this:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/searc...kes&MainCategory=Air+Intake+Systems&type_id=2

The toss up is between the K&N, Injen and AEM. The price difference is negligble so it comes down to performance gains in the low gears... am I correct in expecting the Injen to win this battle? The bypass valve cost about $48, so for around $300 I'm going to get about a 3 horsepower increase and a deep rumble? Is this the first mod I hould do, or perhaps invest in a more performance oriented set of tires?
Injen CAI will give u roughtly around 14whp gain .. where the K&N is abt 12whp gain and it's like 50 bux cheaper than the injen ...
the bypass will howeverm decrease the power gain to abt 10whp based on the dynos i have seen b4 .. ~
Andynolife said:
Injen CAI will give u roughtly around 14whp gain .. where the K&N is abt 12whp gain and it's like 50 bux cheaper than the injen ...
the bypass will howeverm decrease the power gain to abt 10whp based on the dynos i have seen b4 .. ~
hee... btw, dyno shows that it is about 10whp. But I really doubt that it is giving me that gain. I mean... 10whp supposed to be 'noticable', isn't it? I am thinking it is the difference when the car is actully moving vs stationary. Like when the car is stationary on a dyno machine, it is easier to suck air in compared to when the car is actually moving (esp in fast speed).
SAZABI said:
hee... btw, dyno shows that it is about 10whp. But I really doubt that it is giving me that gain. I mean... 10whp supposed to be 'noticable', isn't it? I am thinking it is the difference when the car is actully moving vs stationary. Like when the car is stationary on a dyno machine, it is easier to suck air in compared to when the car is actually moving (esp in fast speed).
well ... yes 10 hp is quite a bit .. ~ but that's like in 7100 rpm ... ~
u wont drive in 7100 rpm everyday rite ~ :cool:
and i believe we lost like 5~10 tq in low end range .. ~
and i can feel it :spike: ~
Andynolife said:
well ... yes 10 hp is quite a bit .. ~ but that's like in 7100 rpm ... ~
u wont drive in 7100 rpm everyday rite ~ :cool:
and i believe we lost like 5~10 tq in low end range .. ~
and i can feel it :spike: ~
almost everyday... at least once or twice.... :laugh:

try to replace filter, it works a bit better at low end.
Oh wait, u are using K&N... I am talking about Injen...
oh .. u mean K&N's filter is better ?
i thought they use the very similar cone filters .. all K&N made ?!
BTW, the Injen and K&N air filter is very much identical. And yes, this is ideally tuned for mid to high end power. In sacrifice of that gain, you will lose out on low to mid end torque.
Hello people, i'm new here and i just got my new TSX a couple days ago. I guess its Injen for me from reading all these post, so any problem with car warranty ??
Drunkenbuda said:
Hello people, i'm new here and i just got my new TSX a couple days ago. I guess its Injen for me from reading all these post, so any problem with car warranty ??
warranty... if they can blame it on the CAI when something goes wrong with the engine, they will just to get out of warranty work and charge you for the service.
Andynolife said:
oh .. u mean K&N's filter is better ?
i thought they use the very similar cone filters .. all K&N made ?!
the one I am using is bigger. hmm... about the same diameter, but like 1/3 longer.
I've used KN filter for my accord.. it looks great and sounds great too but you lose so much low end.. and I never drive over 3500 on my accord.. and ill never hit over 6000 with my tsx either.. So its not worth it for me..

If you're racing or doing other stuff.. KN or CAI are for you...

Plus cleaning filter is cheaper than buying new filters every 15 - 20k, it comes out evenly at the end
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top