Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Europe had an Accord Type R back from 1999-2002. Honda Japan, I think had the idea to make the previous Accord (1998-02) have Type Rs too, but the styling for both the JDM and Euro Accord at the time were different. So instead they opted to call it the "Euro R" They don't want people to be confused with the Euro Accord Type R and the JDM Accord model.

Both use the same Prelude H22A engine though.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
We should also mention (in case he might not know) that the Euro Accord is the car that the TSX was based on.

In fact, a lot of people say the TSX is a Euro Accord (just re-badged), and while some of us (like me) try to talk about there being some signficant differences from the Euro Accord, we have some pretty authoritative people assuring us there aren't.

So....basically if not totally, TSX = Euro Accord.

And the Euro "R," I guess, is a sportier, soupier version of the Euro Accord.

P.S. Or is it the Euro R (rather than the "regular" Euro) that is basically the same as the TSX?

Larchmont, who keeps forgetting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
you were right in your first comparison between the TSX and the Euro though I must admit it would be a dream if the type r went stateside in the form of the TSX. 15 more whp and the ability to rev to 8 grand, woohh.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I think we need Noel on here. :D

How 'bout a refresher course:

(1) Which Euro Accord is the one that's basically the same as the TSX:
the regular Euro, or the Euro R?

(2) What are the differences between the Euro R and the regular Euro?

(3) Are there really no mechanical/functional superiorities for the TSX over whichever Euro it's based on?

I'm pretty sure Noel answered #3 before and assured us it's "no," but just double-checking. :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
HA! :lol:

I think he figures that I/we will just forget again anyway, so what's the use? :D

I guess I'll have to be a little provocative.....

"The TSX is based on the Euro Accord, but of course it's far superior....." :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
OK, here's this stuff -- first paragraph from year 2000, second pgph from 2002.
Now all we need is somebody to translate it into English. :D

2000.07 : New sports Euro-R (GH-CL1) grade added to Accord series.
Honda announced that it has introduced a new grade to the Accord series - a high-performance Euro-R sporty grade with a maximum power output of 220PS(162kw).
Main Equipment : A exclusive red head cover, Helical LSD, Hard type dampers, Hard type stabilizers, Fog lights, MOMO steering wheel, White meters, 16-inch brake, A strut tower bar, Aluminum shift knob, Recaro racing front seats.
Double wishbone front and 5-link rear suspension system, High-intensity discharge (HID) headlights, Body colored retractable electric door mirrors, Power windows, Keyless entry unlock, Air conditioning, Driver and passenger SRS air bags, ABS.

2002.10 : Honda announced a full model change for the Accord.
The Accord Euro-R is powered by the e 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine that makes 220 horsepower and 21.0kg-m of torque.
The lightweight 6-speed manual transmission offers highly responsive performance.
An Exterior design with accentuated sportiness throughout, including aeroform bumpers, honeycomb mesh front grill, and 17-inch aluminum wheels.
Spring, anti-sway bars, and bushings are firmer, and shock absorbers have been tuned for optimum damping.
Main Equipment : Driver & front passenger SRS airbag system, ABS with EBD, high mounted stop lamp, full auto air conditioner, key less entry system, EPS, immobilizer, power window, aeroform bumpers, foglihgts, HID headlights.
Exclusive Euro-R Equipment : Clutch start system, Recaro front bucket seats, a MOMO leather wrapped steering wheel, aluminum shift knob & pedals, technical-metal type console, black-out headlights, titanium colored back lens, dark-chrome plating door handle, sports grill, light weight fly wheel, LSD, sports suspension.

220 HP????
Why couldn't they put that in the TSX? :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Basically, the 2000 Euro R was a JDM version of the Accord Type R sold in Europe, just with different skin.

Euro Accord Type R (1999-2002)

Engines
Engine Type DOHC VTEC
Displacement (cc) 2157
Max. Power (PS @ rpm) 212 @ 7,200
Max. Torque (Nm @ rpm) 215 @ 6,700

Transmission
5-speed manual

Performance
Maximum speed (mph) 141

Acceleration 0-62mph (secs) 6.9

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I'm not getting him either. :D

Anyway......about your saying "the 2000 Euro R was a JDM version of the Accord Type R sold in Europe, just with different skin" -- I thought "Euro R" means Euro Accord Type R! I thought it was just sort of a shorter way of saying it, kind of like how we say "Vette" for Corvette, or "Knicks" for Knickerbockers, or "Mets" for Metropolitans.....

(Did you know.....the actual name of the team is New York Metropolitans.....)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
for last gneration Accords
japan.JDM gets the Accord Euro-R where euro/EDM gets the Accord Type-R
both use H22A but different chasis .. different body but basically the same engines
for this current generation
there is Accord EuroR in Japan only ... and TSX is more likely to be the JDM Accord 24TL ... which uses K24A2 also ... where EDM Type-S gets the K24A3

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
larchmont said:
(1) Which Euro Accord is the one that's basically the same as the TSX: the regular Euro, or the Euro R?

(2) What are the differences between the Euro R and the regular Euro?

(3) Are there really no mechanical/functional superiorities for the TSX over whichever Euro it's based on?
1 - The Euro Accord aka Accord aka Accord Type S is the same as the TSX. There is no real superiority however the Acura does spot more luxurious trim whilst the Honda spot more performance from less luxury.

2 - Euro R is CL7 and Accord/TSX is CL9. Both are easily defined by their chassis codes. I'm sure we already know alot about the Euro R CL7. This is a JDM only product by Honda.

3 - In terms of performance, No.

* - The pictures above from CJ shows the Accord Type R aka Accord Euro R, the previous generation of our current generation with the chassis code CL1. Yes, they do have slightly different exterior styling for the Europe and Japan delivered models but powerplant and drivetrain is somewhat identical.

Next ... Can't I play dumb?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I think I explained the origins of the original Euro Rs and their relations with the Accord Type R, and nothing about the current ones (CL9). :laugh:

I didn't know if that was what was originally intended, cuz I though he wanted to know what is a Euro R.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Bdeeka bdeeka bdeeka bdeeka bdeeka bdeeka

To see if anybody could find out what that means if they wanted to, i googled the word.
I got one match -- it was an old post of my own, from "over there."
:donno:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts