Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1: What is this flap in the center of the undercarriage of my car?

Pictures:

A bit dark
A little better
Behind front driver side
More
More

Question 2: This might be related to #1 but so far two drivers on the road have called me (friend) or pulled up next to me on the street and told me there is something flapping in the front of my car. Like a paper bag. Another described it as a pipe or something that "might break off if you hit a dip"

Both times I've stopped and inspected it 2-3 times and never found a problem. The only "loose" piece is that flap in Question 1 and since it's smack center, front, I really doubt anyone could see it while driving on the street. I had to get on my knees and bend down to see it.

So what gives? And in case anyone is curious, I have NOT hit a curb, dip, or speedbump. I used to often in my last car because it was alot lower to the ground.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
It looks like the "flap" you open to drain the oil (@ the oil plug location) or I might be getting that mixed up with my Pilot. I'm pretty sure it is the TSX. There is a "mickey mouse" latch for that flap/cover that must have come loose...get under there and try to latch it back into place...if that fails tell your local Acura dealer it is defective. BTW, it's nothing to worry about.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I'm with JP ... Yes, it's the flap that has plastic clips to hold it into place. Either the clips have fallen out when not secured properly or they've snapped off. Either way, it's a 5 minute fix with the correct clips. Any dealership should be able to get that sorted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My coworker went outside to look at it and just pushed it up and it locked in. They don't even use clips to secure it. It's a tab. Just like a to-go box you get from a restaurant. Lame. I hope there is nothing else flapping down there.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
no, Im pritty sure theres attcually something that twists or something like that, that holds it down, stop by a dealership when u get a chance, and get the new clips....no big deal, thell fix it for u

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
sygyzy said:
My coworker went outside to look at it and just pushed it up and it locked in. They don't even use clips to secure it. It's a tab.
If this is the overlaying inside flap, the external cover flap may still have missing clips. Otherwise it wouldn't have "fallen out" in the first place. If you still get this problem after driving, there are definitely missing plastic clips.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
no, Im pritty sure theres attcually something that twists or something like that, that holds it down, stop by a dealership when u get a chance, and get the new clips....no big deal, thell fix it for u
Yeah, there is a twisting latch mechanism. Also, like Noel said...there is a clip that holds part of the latch onto the main underbody plastic part assembly (it could have fallen off). That clip was loose on my ride when I did my last oil change and I was a little worried about it, but it appears to be fine for now.

It's about the only "mickey mouse" thing I have found on my ride, but the Japanese do that sometimes. I have seen this first hand at work. LOL :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a bit confused your your explanations. The flap opens down facing the front of the car. In other words, if you get on your knees in front of the car (facing it), you can see the cavity that is revealed by having the cap down. What other pieces are there? A swivel latch?

If these pieces have fallen off, what recorse do I have? Will they replace it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Yes, just go to acura, u might want to open the flap back up right before u get there attcually lol, and get them to replace the parts, I find when dealing w/ Acura playing dumb is ur best decision

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Best to see how they actually "remove/access" the bottom splash guard when draining the oil filter to understand how it actually works. Yes, clips do hold it in place along with a few "manoveurs" to get the splash guards out/down.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if the bolt broke or fell off? Damnit!

BTW, I am probably 50 miles away from the nearest Acura Dealer.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
That is pure speculation without actually inspecting what is required or missing, or it could simply be a wrong installation fitment.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
That EXACT same flap-hanging-off thing happened with me. The car was already going to the dealer though, and I forgot to ask what they did. They told me something was stuck in it.

Nice to know I can come here and get better explanations that from my dealer :thumbsup:... who is getting my car back Wednesday to fix the center console lights and sliding driver's seat :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts