Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I understand that the oil prices have a major impact on what we pay at the pump, and that this is worldwide... however how can they justify making us pay $1.10 per litre at the pump? That is for regular petrol/gas, the premium is around 10 cents per litre more ! :eek: We went to fill up tonight, we get Shell Optimax the best fuel here in Australia pretty much, with a 98 Octane rating, we payed $1.15 per litre, which means for the 30 bucks I spent I was lucky if I got 23 litres out of it ! One of the major problems here in Australia is the fuel tax, it is one of the highest federal taxes in the world, typicall of the government to make money at our expense :(

To keep this in perspective folks, 1 gallon is roughly equal to 4 litres* so we are paying a fair bit more for our fuel than you guys in the US are, if this keeps up soon enough noone here in Australia will be able to afford to drive their cars, pedal power anyone?

* Edited , Thanks for the heads up Larch!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes, as you may know the price has skyrocketed here too.

BTW is the Aussie liter (litre) different from elsewhere in the world???

Generally a gallon is almost 4 liters, not just 2.5.

(Which BTW would make your prices even more of a ripoff.)

P.S. Either way, I'm pretty sure your prices are still way less than in most or all of Europe.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
I understand that the oil prices have a major impact on what we pay at the pump, and that this is worldwide... however how can they justify making us pay $1.10 per litre at the pump? That is for regular petrol/gas, the premium is around 10 cents per litre more ! :eek: We went to fill up tonight, we get Shell Optimix the best fuel here in Australia pretty much, with a 98 Octane rating, we payed $1.15 per litre, which means for the 30 bucks I spent I was lucky if I got 23 litres out of it ! One of the major problems here in Australia is the fuel tax, it is one of the highest federal taxes in the world, typicall of the government to make money at our expense :(

To keep this in perspective folks, 1 gallon is roughly equal to 2 and a half litres so we are paying a fair bit more for our fuel than you guys in the US are, if this keeps up soon enough noone here in Australia will be able to afford to drive their cars, pedal power anyone?
I'm sure Canada is right up there with Australia. Here, at least half of the price of a litre goes up in TAXES! What is it with the Commonwealth countries anyway?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
larchmont said:
Yes, as you may know the price has skyrocketed here too.

BTW is the Aussie liter (litre) different from elsewhere in the world???

Generally a gallon is almost 4 liters, not just 2.5.

(Which BTW would make your prices even more of a ripoff.)

P.S. Either way, I'm pretty sure your prices are still way less than in most or all of Europe.
Oooops you can blame that one on my Fiance, that is what she thaught lol, 4 litres equals a gallon? Damn that IS worse ! :thumbsdow

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
tradsf said:
I'm sure Canada is right up there with Australia. Here, at least half of the price of a litre goes up in TAXES! What is it with the Commonwealth countries anyway?
Yeah I don't get that, maybe the Commonwealth countries have some sort of fuel tax pact? Do you think that they could lower it in response to the increased record level cost of the oil prices? Not a chance, less money for them if they do that! :mad:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
Yeah I don't get that, maybe the Commonwealth countries have some sort of fuel tax pact? Do you think that they could lower it in response to the increased record level cost of the oil prices? Not a chance, less money for them if they do that! :mad:
Of course, our governments are more than happy to fill their coffers... How's the overall tax rate in Australia. In Canada, between income tax, sales tax and all the rest, it can reach as high as $0.60 per dollar earned. It's a wonder we're not a third-world country living in huts...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
we payed $1.15 per litre
1 gallon is roughly equal to 4 litres
:eek: Holy smokes Thorn!!! :eek:
I will no longer complain about our gas prices :shock:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joker said:
:eek: Holy smokes Thorn!!! :eek:
I will no longer complain about our gas prices :shock:
Tell me about it, the strange thing is, we only had a Federal Election a couple of weeks ago, it is strange that the absurdly high fuel tax wasn't brought up during the campaign at all, maybe because both parties were never going to lower it? Still it would have made a good bargaining tool with the voters?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
Tell me about it, the strange thing is, we only had a Federal Election a couple of weeks ago, it is strange that the absurdly high fuel tax wasn't brought up during the campaign at all, maybe because both parties were never going to lower it? Still it would have made a good bargaining tool with the voters?
Oil prices are affected by supply/demand, world insecurity (thanks GWB) and speculation (which abounds). It don't think the Australian government, or any government for that matter, has much of a handle on it. There was an article in the Montreal paper stating that a New York agency has calculated that it will cost between 30% and 50% more to heat the average home with heating oil this winter, depending on how rough a winter we have...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
tradsf said:
Oil prices are affected by supply/demand, world insecurity (thanks GWB).....
That's a good concise way of putting that second part.

Strange that we had to spend pages and pages trying to explain that on another thread. :donno:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I understand the price hikes on the oil and how that is affected by world events, however surely the government has some controll over how much tax they are going to add to the fuel at the pump? Every dollar we spend on fuel half of it is taken by tax alone, surely they could lower it a little to counteract the extreme nature of the oil price hikes?

The other thing that bugs me is the fact that when the oil prices come down we see little change in the price we pay for fuel, however when the oil prices go up we see an immediate and often profound impact?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
Yeah I understand the price hikes on the oil and how that is affected by world events, however surely the government has some controll over how much tax they are going to add to the fuel at the pump? Every dollar we spend on fuel half of it is taken by tax alone, surely they could lower it a little to counteract the extreme nature of the oil price hikes?

The other thing that bugs me is the fact that when the oil prices come down we see little change in the price we pay for fuel, however when the oil prices go up we see an immediate and often profound impact?
Yeah it sucks...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Beyond pricing, count yourself lucky to be driving a very well fuel economized car while producing sufficient power. Imagine how much those owners with forced induction and large displacement cars have to pay.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Noel said:
Beyond pricing, count yourself lucky to be driving a very well fuel economized car while producing sufficient power. Imagine how much those owners with forced induction and large displacement cars have to pay.
I don't find the TSX that fuel-efficient, especially in city driving.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
If you compare that to something that produces similar power or hold a same displacement (ala just to name a Honda few - CRV, DC5 RSX-S, DC2 Integra R, EM1 Civic), I don't believe it's "that" poor. Considering this has been highlighted by a high number of motoring journos that this is indeed a fuel efficient car with such a power output.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts