Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you guys will know that I am getting my Arctic Blue, Honda Accord Euro in less than a week, I was looking at trading the factory alloys in for something larger... maybe 18 inch rims? I am not sure what is the best size for the Euro/TSX? I think 19 might be a bit large? My Fiance doesn't really care whether or not we get larger rims but I do because the rims they sell with the Euro's are only 16 inch ! :( Also I wonder how much the stock Alloys are worth? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what sort of Rims I should get, both size and style?

Thanks guys :)

(I was going to get the dealer to put the chosen rims on when they do the Window Tinting and attach the Spoiler, I wonder if I can just trade the OEM rims in and pay the difference?)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Chemical User
19 Posts
18's 18's 18's 18's 18's 18's 18's

Hey Thorn2004, personally mate, go the 18"s.
17"s look to small on the Euro with a 45 profile tyre, and 19"s look sweet but I think they are too expensive for both rims and tyres. I am suspect about the ride quality as well. 18"s you use should normally have a 40 profile tyre.

There are heaps of mag and tyre choices but I suggest a 18" x 8" mag with a 45 offset with a 225/40ZR18 tyre.

Here are some of your tyre choices:

Bridgestone S03's & gIII's
Dunlop direzza DZ101's & SPSPORT 9000's
Pirelli PZERO DIREZIONALE
Toyo TRANPATH SW's & PROXES T1-S's
Yokohama AVS ES100's, V102's, V550's

Have fun mate, shop around but the best I have found were donnellan's
find them at www.donnellans.com.au
they have the best website with stacks of mags to choose.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oxygene said:
Hey Thorn2004, personally mate, go the 18"s.
17"s look to small on the Euro with a 45 profile tyre, and 19"s look sweet but I think they are too expensive for both rims and tyres. I am suspect about the ride quality as well. 18"s you use should normally have a 40 profile tyre.

There are heaps of mag and tyre choices but I suggest a 18" x 8" mag with a 45 offset with a 225/40ZR18 tyre.

Here are some of your tyre choices:

Bridgestone S03's & gIII's
Dunlop direzza DZ101's & SPSPORT 9000's
Pirelli PZERO DIREZIONALE
Toyo TRANPATH SW's & PROXES T1-S's
Yokohama AVS ES100's, V102's, V550's

Have fun mate, shop around but the best I have found were donnellan's
find them at www.donnellans.com.au
they have the best website with stacks of mags to choose.
Thanks for the heads-up mate :D Guess I should do some hunting around, not sure how much it will cost, and it depends on how much they are gonna give me for the stock mags/tyres ! If it is too much then it is going to be something I will have to do later, the car itself with Tinted Windows and a Spoiler was a big purchase ;)

Wonder what rims? Personall Preferance ?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I personally would use a 17 inch setup lowered 1-1½ inches all round either by springs or proper coilovers, this is to retain OEM rolling diameter while applying a significant handling improvement without going overboard.

One fairly important thing to consider about upsizing rims is the correctional error on the speedometer due to the rim size increase but most ultimately the price in tires. An 18 inch rim tyre would cost approximately 25% more than a 17 inch rim tyre in example.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
CL9 K24a said:
.....One fairly important thing to consider about upsizing rims is the correctional error on the speedometer due to the rim size increase.....
Yes, we've heard about this -- interesting.
Do you know what would be the amount of error when you go from 17's to 18's? I would guess it's a simple function of the circumference ratios, which is the same as the diameter ratios -- which would be about 6%.

Sounds like a lot. I wonder if somehow it's less than that.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes, there is a circumference/rolling diameter measurement to calculate how much it's off by. Here is the average differences in speed. The only good thing is, you're actually travelling slower than what is displayed instead of the other way round.

16s - 17s = 1-3 mph off
17s - 18s = 3-5 mph off
18s - 19s = 5-8 mph off

If someone wants the exact calculations, I can do the math. There is a electronic blackbox similar to those O2 sensor simulators that you can install to correct the speedo display error but no one really bothers with it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
CL9 K24a said:
Yes, there is a circumference/rolling diameter measurement to calculate how much it's off by. Here is the average differences in speed. The only good thing is, you're actually travelling slower than what is displayed instead of the other way round.

16s - 17s = 1-3 mph off
17s - 18s = 3-5 mph off
18s - 19s = 5-8 mph off

If someone wants the exact calculations, I can do the math. There is a electronic blackbox similar to those O2 sensor simulators that you can install to correct the speedo display error but no one really bothers with it.
I realize I must have been making some wrong assumptions -- I must not understand how this works.

First of all, I was assuming the the the radial span of the TIRES stays the same (I'm sure "radial span" isn't the right phrase, but I don't know what to call it; what I'm talking about is the measurement in the direction of the rim's radius; i.e. how much radius or diameter the tires add to the whole thing). Your figures make it look like that's not so, because if it were, the amount of error wouldn't be so different in those 3 different examples.

And also, I would have thought you'd be going FASTER (and further) than what is shown, not slower, because you'd be going further with each revolution of the wheel, and I would have thought that the speedometer (and odometer) go according to the number of revolutions.

What gives?

(BTW the percentage estimate that I gave before was wrong regardless; it was based on the radial span of the rim being the full radial span of the whole thing, which obviously is wrong.)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew about the price increase as you go for larger rims/tyres but I didn't realise that it could throw your speedo out too? :eek:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
larchmont - Let me find more detailed documentations indicating our discussion. It's a fairly interesting point to raise especially when "upsizing" wheels.

Thorn2004 - Slight error in any sense, nothing to worry about if that's gonna stop you from doing so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts