Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know too much about superchargers or turbochargers. i know that superchargers help you accelerate faster and a turbocharger helps you on the top end. but what does that all mean? does the supercharger stop kicking in after a certain point and the turbocharger only kick in after a certain point. for example, in a 1/4 mile race going straight, what will be the most beneficial? i hear people talking all the time about getting a turbocharger instead of a supercharger. why not a supercharger? does a turbo have more power than a super? or is it better all around? arrgh! i'm so confused. someone please clear this up.:confused:

·
SoyBoy
140 Posts
The supercharger and turbocharger debate should first focus on what is available for your car. You can have a custom made turbocharger for any car but that would cost you an arm and leg and sometimes your engine. So availability would be first in my book. Forced induction and the performance modifications for the stress it brings on a car must be done properly. Forced induction should be one of the last things done to a car after all other necessities are checked off. As much fun as it is you don't want to lose the car you have now because you simply want to be thrown back in your seat and beat faster stock cars.

·
Mmmmm...JDM
33 Posts
skateboarder816 said:
i don't know too much about superchargers or turbochargers. i know that superchargers help you accelerate faster and a turbocharger helps you on the top end. but what does that all mean? does the supercharger stop kicking in after a certain point and the turbocharger only kick in after a certain point.:
They both will make you accelerate faster by forcing air, called boost, into the combustion chamber. By adding all that extra air you can add more fuel, which if tuned properly, will net you more horsepower.

A supercharger is a great addition to Honda engines being that Hondas usually lack torque. A turbo will add more torque like the supercharger but not until it spools to full boost. A supercharger will provide full boost at all rpm's.

So what you thought " i know that superchargers help you accelerate faster and a turbocharger helps you on the top end." is not true.

·
Mmmmm...JDM
33 Posts
People choose turbos over SC for many different reasons. A turbo is easier to just turn up the boost (with the right parts). To turn up the boost on a SC, you need to install different pullies and belts. With both applications, they only can put out so much boost.

Another reason people choose turbos is because you can add an intercooler, which cools the air before entering the throttle body. Colder air is denser air, which you can add more fuel to, hence more hp with proper tuning. Though there are types of SC (like Vortech) that use an intercooler which make just as much power as a turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both force more air through the compustion chamber and make a better mixtures for air and fuel and BOOM, there's ur HP. The Major difference is that a turbo uses exhaust gases to circualte air where a Supercharger doesn't. Also, a supercharger doesn't have the lag time of most turbos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts