Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04' Acura TSX, and it's been making this low humming noise (I posted a vid so you can get a better idea of how it sounds). Anyways, after doing some research, I came to the conclusion that it's probably the wheel bearing that needs replacing. However, when I jacked up the car to do the "wobbly wheel test" to determine which wheel needed the bearings replaced, all the wheels were perfectly stiff. Is it possible that my bearings still need to be replaced, and it's just not completely worn yet? If not, any other suggestion as to where the noise might be coming from? Any help would be great. Thanks=D

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Wheel bearings don't always show their wear by wobbling. In fact I have only seen a worn wheel bearing show noticable play one time. All of the other times, it took a passenger changing from seat to seat to see which corner was loudest. The loudest corner of the car is obviously the bad wheel bearing.

·
Banned
16 Posts
The best way to find out if it is a wheel bearing is to jack it up on four jack stands make sure they are stable. Get a buddy to drive it from 0 to maybe 80 it depends when you hear the noise. Then get a rubber hose and put it on the hub assembly and listen with your ear on the other end. You will know which one it is for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same exact noise about a year ago on my '06. It came from the front right area. I had no play in the wheel and when I took it to the mechanic to check the bearing, they told me the bearing was fine and the noise was coming from my tires. After much trying to convince me it wasn't the bearing and that I needed new tires, I told them that I wanted it changed anyways because it was impossible the tires were making that noise considering I had just put them on 2 months before. Needless to say they were pretty embarrassed after changing the bearing. All the noise was gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same exact noise about a year ago on my '06. It came from the front right area. I had no play in the wheel and when I took it to the mechanic to check the bearing, they told me the bearing was fine and the noise was coming from my tires. After much trying to convince me it wasn't the bearing and that I needed new tires, I told them that I wanted it changed anyways because it was impossible the tires were making that noise considering I had just put them on 2 months before. Needless to say they were pretty embarrassed after changing the bearing. All the noise was gone.
Yeah, I JUST had all four tires replaced with new ones, and it's still making the same noise. With that, which bearings did you get replaced? Front? Rear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol...NVM....just read your entire post...

·
Registered
895 Posts
The best way to find out if it is a wheel bearing is to jack it up on four jack stands make sure they are stable. Get a buddy to drive it from 0 to maybe 80 it depends when you hear the noise. Then get a rubber hose and put it on the hub assembly and listen with your ear on the other end. You will know which one it is for sure.
r u serious? dont do this lol.. and anyways how would you get the back wheels moving.
just bring it in to a shop and let them test it they have some sort of gauge that mesures the amount of free movement.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue! That sound is coming from the rear of my car and I just had my tires replaced 4 months ago. But the issue started 2 weeks ago when I rotated my tires. :/

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
The best way... is to jack it up on four jack stands make sure they are stable. Get a buddy to drive it from 0 to maybe 80...
I dunno.

I have a sinking suspicion that maybe, just maybe this isn't actually
the best way to work out this problem. I'm really not sure, and I'm
just going on a hunch here, some sort of feeling, but you know.

but hey, you could be right. my gut's not feeling it though really.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i had 3 go within months
i changed the rear myself had a shop do the fronts

you drive the car in a slalom fashion and you can tell which one it is by the noise appearing under load

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 05 TSX has 190,000 miles on it. When driving (city or highway) I hear a growling sound like grrrrrrr or mmmmmmm even when I let off the gas and cruise. It's very strange sound that is mostly audible when I have the windows closed and radio off. It seems be coming from directly underneath me. When I have windows down even in city driving, I can't really hear it. I played the video in this thread and it sounds similar but i'm not sure if the OP was referring to the low windy/humming sound or the growling. I'm not sure if my issue is related to the wheel bearings or an exhaust leak. (It's not a whistling sound).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Have you check your sub shaft assembly to make sure there's no play? There's a bearing there too... Mine what making some bearing like sound sound during acceleration, and after changing the sub shaft, it went away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts