Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about replacing wheel studs and I'm wondering if any of you guys tried removing the wheel hub before. I'm getting conflicting info that it's easy to remove the wheel hub vs. it's hard to remove the wheel hub because you have to press the hub out of the bearing, etc.

From what I've read on here, its a pain to swap out studs without taking the hub off, especially in the fronts.

Any advice would be appreciated and I'll hook you up with +rep :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
When I was swapping to Advics I had to extend studs. I used the arp studs and shaved down one side of the head of the stud. This saved from having to remove the hub and pressing and bearings blah blah blah. This does not hurt the stud or will it ever come out unless someone wants them to come out. The important part of the stud is the knurl... Don't mess that up when grinding down the head or you will have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was swapping to Advics I had to extend studs. I used the arp studs and shaved down one side of the head of the stud. This saved from having to remove the hub and pressing and bearings blah blah blah. This does not hurt the stud or will it ever come out unless someone wants them to come out. The important part of the stud is the knurl... Don't mess that up when grinding down the head or you will have a problem.

yeah i read about that too. So the head is shaved down so it looks like a "D" so you can shimmy it in that tight space? I know the splines are what secures the stud, so that sounds like a good idea too.

·
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, did you swap out studs in the front or the back or both? It looks like there is more space in the backs so maybe those will just go right in.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I did both because I had to move the fronts out so much it was noticeable that the front was wider than the rear. It is dependent upon the situation. But it's the same in the rear as far as the studs is concerned.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hmmm I believe so, but can't remember 100%. Check before you order.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Shaving the studs is pretty effective when replacing broken studs but seems like it would be pretty time consuming to switch them all to extended studs using this method. Took me a while to just do 2 studs on the front by grinding them down

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's time consuming but it's also free

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.