Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some 10mm extended spacers and it is leaving a gap between the spacers and the hub of the rim. Question is, is it safe? I have been driving on the freeway to see if it feels safe or not and so far i can not tell the difference w/o it being on. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I marked the gap in the red where the hub of the rim should be touching the spacers. It is almost touching but not quite there.

Thoughts?

·
instagram:emseecoy
1,337 Posts
That does not look safe at all. That will put stress on the exposed studs which can break and cause an accident. It is safer to just get the right size spacer to accommodate the remaining studs while achieving the look you want.

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! i was thinking on shaving back of the rim hub a bit so the studs can clear or shave off the oem studs but i dont want to go on that route

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
What are they hitting preventing them from going on all the way? Is it a different size hubcentric bore? I work in a machine shop and I'm looking to put some on my rears

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
That does not look safe at all. That will put stress on the exposed studs which can break and cause an accident. It is safer to just get the right size spacer to accommodate the remaining studs while achieving the look you want.
:tu:

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are they hitting preventing them from going on all the way? Is it a different size hubcentric bore? I work in a machine shop and I'm looking to put some on my rears

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The OEM studs are hitting the back of the rim hub. Most aftermarket rims have a pit so if you were to get extended studs they would sit into the pit but my rims, the pits are not that deep.

Here is an example:

This pit would be perfect for the OEM studs to fit into.

·
Registered
714 Posts
show us a picture with out the wheel on.

well either get some new wheels with the offset you want or cut your oem studs back.

or take the spacers back and buy bigger ones so your studs dont poke out.

numerous options

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
No way man that looks real bad. Just imagine hitting a pothole.

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

well either get some new wheels with the offset you want or cut your oem studs back.

numerous options
Will do later today.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
def not safe. if the wheel or spacer flex it could lead to the lug nut loosening itself and then you have a real problem.

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

numerous options
Not sure what you meant but this is a pic of the back of my rim. The pit is not as deep as i thought it would be.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
You have a few options at this point.

1. Get a thicker spacer (i.e. 20mm, 25mm, etc.)

2. Cut your OEM studs.

3. Get ARP extended wheel studs and some regular spacers. Might need open ended lugs for this option.

4. Don't run spacers

Personally I ran 10mm kics in the front and 15mm ebays in the back and I cut my studs. If I had to do it again, i'd just go ARP studs and not worry about it. Technically adapter spacers and cut studs are safe but i do think about it from time to time though.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
That's definitely not safe. Basically, the studs on your spacers are supporting the weight of your car. Studs are only supposed to keep your wheels against the hub so the wheels can support the car. Just cut the stock studs. If you ever want to go back to stock, just get new studs from a dealership. They're not that expensive.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not sure what you meant but this is a pic of the back of my rim. The pit is not as deep as i thought it would be.

i meant a pic of your hub.

you can see the imprints of your studs on your wheel so they defo need shortening.

if you dont want to cut your studs you could just add another spacer on top of the one you have fitted, say 5mm to clear your studs? should leave enough of the studs on the spacer you have fitted to securely hold the wheel????

not the best option of course

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have a few options at this point.

1. Get a thicker spacer (i.e. 20mm, 25mm, etc.)

2. Cut your OEM studs.

3. Get ARP extended wheel studs and some regular spacers. Might need open ended lugs for this option.

4. Don't run spacers

Personally I ran 10mm kics in the front and 15mm ebays in the back and I cut my studs. If I had to do it again, i'd just go ARP studs and not worry about it. Technically adapter spacers and cut studs are safe but i do think about it from time to time though.
Most likely ill be going with option 3. The extended studs are actually not expensive. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i meant a pic of your hub.

you can see the imprints of your studs on your wheel so they defo need shortening.

if you dont want to cut your studs you could just add another spacer on top of the one you have fitted, say 5mm to clear your studs? should leave enough of the studs on the spacer you have fitted to securely hold the wheel????

not the best option of course
Once i get the chance ill take a shot for you. Might have the spacers i go up for sale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts