Acura TSX Forum banner

181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
hmm I have a kinda odd problem
I live on a mountain terrain. As a result, when I go out every time, I have to go down this steep hill.
Anyways, I find my car shaking a lot when I go over 70+km/hr AND apply the brake when I go down that hill. (Doesnt shake when I accelerate down that hill..only when I start stepping on brake) Sometimes its so obvious that it makes a really loud noise....like doom doom doom dooom......Also, My brake pedal and driving wheel shake really violently when I step on the brake hard. However, this only happens when I go down that hill. I do not have problems when I accelerate or decelerate on any other road once I am off the mountain. Also, one interesting thing I found out is that if I let the car warm up a bit and drive around on the mountain for a while before I go down that hill, the shaking disappears......its like I need to warm my brake pad up or something lol.

just wondering if any of u guys have this problem as well.

thx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well imma try the axles. Do axles cause a clunk when turning the steering wheel?
I haven't experience a rack pinion problem before, but I have ran into bad axles problem and they all start with a clicking problem when you turn or a little acceleration of the line.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
This thread is now old enough to have revealed a few false fixes for the problem. Please see this thread for a fix that works. This fixed my problem and several others, and the cost is reasonable.

By the way I don't work for or represent HT automotive in any way. I'm just very happy to have this problem finally fixed. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/heeltoe-automotive/57339-04-08-acura-tsx-axle-vibration-issue-found-fixed.html
Thanks for posting this. I just got my TSX and it's always good to know about these types of issues if or when they show up. Your link seems to have nailed the issue. Thanks to Mayuga as well for the great info.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a vibration that varies depending on the road surface??

It gets worse on some road surfaces, but it is always a little there, its not just the steering wheel that shakes but you can feel it in the whole car.

I also have a clunk that I can't seem to find, could worn CV joints cause clunking through dips or going in and out of driveways?

I've changed the following already:

-All LCA bushings
-All Ball joints
-Wheels have been rotated and balanced
-Ran 2 different sets of tires
-Aligned
-Everything is tight

Haven't remedied it yet

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have this problem but the shaking is only while accelerating from 40-45 km/h. Highway speeds are smooth and no problems. No shaking under deceleration.

I've replaced both drive shafts already, next I'll probably try switching to my winter tires/steelies and see if the front still shakes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a vibration that varies depending on the road surface??

It gets worse on some road surfaces, but it is always a little there, its not just the steering wheel that shakes but you can feel it in the whole car.

I also have a clunk that I can't seem to find, could worn CV joints cause clunking through dips or going in and out of driveways?

I've changed the following already:

-All LCA bushings
-All Ball joints
-Wheels have been rotated and balanced
-Ran 2 different sets of tires
-Aligned
-Everything is tight
U
Haven't remedied it yet
I have this same problem! It shakes and clunks and everything's tight and the balljoints/upper control arms axles everything's new and tight.... Have you found a fix!!?!? I'm ready to smash this thing

·
Registered
32 Posts
A question to those who changed the axles and the inner joints. When you felt the vibration, was it the same frequency, or would it speed up as the speed increased?

·
Registered
312 Posts
possible worn cv joint?

was moving the axel up and down in the video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yo1vLyqppig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
46 Posts
Question,

Heeltoe sells the kit. Now, my axles are 130k old. If I get the new inner CV joint, am I wasting my money? will the rest of the axle be okay?
Also, how do I know if the axles are oem or aftermarkets -I bought the car used.
Thanks!

·
6SPD TSX 2X
18 Posts
My car does this exact same thing started only doing it around 60mph. Has gotten worse, shakes when you accelerate fast at all especially up hill. Seems as though it doesn't like the load/strain that is applied even at slow speeds up hill. But yet after about 66mph the car doesn't shake or anything. Had it up to 115mph on the freeway and it was smooth as could be. I have replaced the driver front wheel bearing, the driver upper control arm (ball joint was shot)and the drivers side axle. I noticed the boot was busted and grease was oozing everywhere. So apparently I will replace the passneger front axle and pray that this fixes my shake. It's honesty driving me insane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great thread here! Just bought a used 04 TSX, 90K miles with vibration. Tires are Michelin with only 5K on them.

Car goes in to Firestone for wheel balancing tomorrow since there is a highway shimmy; have always had good luck with them doing a great job on all my previous cars.

Then plan to put Centric rotors and Hawk pads on the front since the rotors are warped and pulse when braking. Am hoping this fixes the shimmy/vibration.

If the first 2 steps do not fix it, culprit would be the axle next pit stop would be the axle rebuild kit on the passenger side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tire balancing today fixed the vibration, and the car rides smooth at 80 mph! The left from rim was bent but they were able to weight the tire correctly. Called Firestone and thanked them for a job well done! The Hunter GSP does a great job.

Vibration during acceleration is almost always a CV axle issue.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Glad to hear it was resolved, and cheaply!

I know I bang on about it here, but when I first test drove my car it was perfect.
After I picked it up however, it had bad wheel shake at about 50-60mph. The dealer had put new tyres on the front

When I got it home, I slacked off the wheel nuts and redid them to specs- carefully and by hand.

Wheel shake was gone.

A few weeks later I test fitted new wheels and didn't use as much care in bolting the wheels back on afterwards.
The wheel shake was back again, although at 65 -70mph.

When I got home I redid the process with care- problem solved.

I've since made this mistake again- through rushing.

I think the Honda lug and nut design (with spherical rather than conical lug nut contact area) is very sensitive to correct centering and torquing. Something that shops do not take care in doing.
You simply cannot rely on the fit over the hub to properly center the wheel.

So what I'm saying is, not that there may be more serious problems that cause this, but always check the easiest option first.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi All,

I recently had the vibrations from acceleration and at 60 mph.
I also had very noticeable shudder when breaking.
I too thought it was just a wheel and warped rotors problem. After reading a lot about damage occurring to the passenger side inner joint I took the chance and purchased the Inner Joint and Boot Kit from OEMAcuraParts.

When I pulled the axle and removed the joint, after cleaning grease, I found a 1/2 inch by 2-3mm gouge from metal biting metal inside the joint. I replaced the whole joint, cup and tripod bearings.
The vibrations on acceleration and at 60mph are gone. The harsh shudder when breaking is gone.
I still think my rotors need replacing because there is a very small amount of brake shudder, but this is very small and not at all like it was before.

If you have vibrations on acceleration and definitely at 60mph I highly suggest changing the inner passenger joint on the axle. It is very easy to do and far far cheaper than a new axle.

Other people have also suggested to replace the intermediate shaft and replace the driver side inner joint, but these are just as an added assurance.

One thought I have is that harsh shudder on breaking could be a preliminary sign that the inner joint is getting wear.

My inner joint damage:
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
175 Posts
my car was shaky and was going whichever direction you pull the wheel to due too bend wheel

181 - 200 of 237 Posts