201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
i got them refinished and straightened for 130 $

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I had the shaking issue and it turned out to be uneven wear on the rear tires of the car due to worn bushings. This was after I had all the tires rebalanced, rotors turned and wheels inspected. I replaced the tires and the problem is resolved. Further inspection revealed that most of the suspension bushings look cracked and should be replaced soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issues recently and wanted to chime in. I've had both front axles replaced about a week ago with OEM under extended warranty and the issues still persist with vibration under load. I only have about 59,500 miles, have new pilot sport as/3s and new rotors/pads(baer/hawk) in the front. It seems to be such a prevalent issue not sure why acura hasn't acknowledged. So I am going back tomorrow for the intermediate shaft after a hassle to say the least. I can only hope that will solve, will report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay to follow-up, the vibration in the steering wheel/gas pedal still exists under acceleration with the intermediate shaft replaced. Not sure what else it could be but it is really annoying, glad I have the extended warranty. Can only think it might be suspension or engine/transmission mount related?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Usually, worn motor mounts are noticed at idle due to excessive shaking. It's pretty easy to tell if they are on their way out by checking for cracks/dryiness or grabbing a pry bar and manually manipulating the engine to see if there is excessive movement.

Suspension may be the culprit since worn control arm and tension rod bushings will cause unintentional wheel movement that may cause vibration. A visual inspection of the rubber should be your guide as well as putting the car up in the air and pulling on the tires. Check for excessive movement, pronounced cracks and use your fingers or a blunt object to check the bushing rubber for compliance. If the bushings are worn out, they will be extremely dry and crack easily.

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
How to change the inner axle joint on your Honda or Acura. Pretty typical of all inner joints on all Hondas and Acuras including V6 and S2000 models. Cures vibration on acceleration.
<p>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TPJUivyB2fY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, I'm going back on Monday to have team leader do a ride along. They keep insisting that there is nothing abnormal about the vibration during acceleration but can only hope they are wrong, seems bearing related. To recap, both driveaxles and intermediate shaft were replaced with OEM. I don't seem to have vibration while turning so not sure the wheel bearings are the culprit, maybe torque converter?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
So I had the vibration coming from my car as well and I would like to share my experience.

This thread helped me a lot as there were some posts that helped me pin pointed my issues and some member's description helped me to reassure that my issue was an axle issue and not an engine mount issue.

My car felt as if the engine was shimmying side to side while accelerating right under 3000RPM and at WOT all the way to redline. At first I thought it was the engine mounts, but since my car idles smoothly, it was hard to blame the mounts. I then thought it might have been a bad tune so I went for a datalog and everything looked smooth. My vibration didn't travel through the steering wheel. So the steering wheel wasn't shaking during the vibration. Although the whole car seemed to be shaking.

I then did what a member suggested in order to check the axles. Went under the car, held onto the inner joint and outer joint, then twist them in opposite directions. The passenger axle was pretty solid with very little play. But the driver side axle had significantly more play and made a clanking/metal on metal noise every time I twist. So I switched out the driver side axle (OEM at $500 :D) and the vibration immediately went away. Then my OCD kicked in and I decided to change out the passenger with OEM axle as well.

If you have a manual transmission, remember that the driver side axle is not interchangeable with the automatic transmission one. Passenger side axle is interchangeable. Info on part number for different transmission can be found here: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-problems-fixes/46304-axle-difference.html#post678532

In summary, if you're having vibration under acceleration or under load, especially going up hill, then more than likely it's an axle issue.

·
5,036 Posts
Brand new. I'm sure OEM reman would be just fine. I'm just a little more picky when it comes to my car.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
Did you also notice an increase in cabin noise before replacing the cv axle?

·
5,036 Posts
Increase in cabin noise is most likely due to worn out tires. But no, I didn't experience increase in cabin noise.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
I mean't increase in noise when accelerating from either a stop or cruising. I've been noticing slight vibration and more droning whenever accelerating for quite some time now. Was hoping it was an inner cv axle joint problem

·
5,036 Posts
Hmm, no droning or extra noise at all from my experience when accelerating.

·
5,036 Posts
201 - 220 of 237 Posts