Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read everywhere about what is the good time to do the first oil change for the TSX. People have different opinion....some said we should wait 'til 10,000 miles as recommended (because of special oil in the new car)
....some people said that 5000 miles is a good time to do the first oil change.
Some even said 3000 is a good time, no matter what the Acura recommended.

So, I am just wondering at what mileage did u actually do the first oil change ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I did mine at 4k. Cause I was told to get it done at 5k by my dealership and I used to get my oil changes at 3k. So I've been averaging about 4k oil changes since then. I'd never wait till 10K though...

·
Registered
42 Posts
imo i wouldn't mind changing at 10k per the book. i did actually change it after 5k because will be going on a nice long trip. when i get back will be over 10k. the original oil in the tsx looked good so i don't see going to 10k would be much of a problem. don't have special equip that can tell if the oil has broken down too much but visually looked fine.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
where you driving to, Cali ?

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
I do all oil changes at 5k. The book says 5k or 10k depending on your driving style and habbits. If you take many short trips, drive around dusty roads etc, you should do it 5k.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
my wife had my done at 3k. (2 months after i had it) at 19k now and due for another

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got mine dones at 5K at the dealer. The tech said the oil looked new and chastised me for doing it before 10K. I do short trips and drive in a rural area, so I may do it again at 10 and then go 10 more before I do it again.

I am amazed at the performance I get on this car and still everything goes so well (I'm not used to that -- I previously owned Fords :))

All is well...and at only $25, why not change it when you want?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Bottom line, the less or irregular an oil change frequency is applied, the more likely something may fail.

·
Registered
24 Posts
considering its 20 freakin bucks to get it done why wait? i will have my girls car done at 2500. the way i see ti you cant hurt the car by having it done too soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smartass1235 said:
considering its 20 freakin bucks to get it done why wait? i will have my girls car done at 2500. the way i see ti you cant hurt the car by having it done too soon.
I want to do mine at around 1000 -1500 miles at first, but people said that there are special oil in the new TSX car and told me not to do it early. When I call the dealership and booked appointment for oil change. The tech told me not to do it that early. So, it's not the problem of money or sooner is better.
That's why I think it's tricky.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
I got my done this past Saturday @ 4,500 miles. I say 4,000+ miles for the first oil change, because our engines need a good break in period and many people with Civic Si's (K20A3) had oil consumption problems if they changed their oil before 4,000 miles. Our engines are very similar to them but ours were manufactured in Japan compared to the UK...so go figure but I'm sure they are done the same.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HondaMan said:
I got my done this past Saturday @ 4,500 miles. I say 4,000+ miles for the first oil change, because our engines need a good break in period and many people with Civic Si's (K20A3) had oil consumption problems if they changed their oil before 4,000 miles. Our engines are very similar to them but ours were manufactured in Japan compared to the UK...so go figure but I'm sure they are done the same.

So, you would recommened after 4000 miles ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts

·
owned ur ass
200 Posts
did mine at 4k and switched it to synthetic! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts