Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hit 5,000 miles on the odometer. I know the manual says to do it at 10,000 but that seems really long between changes. Should I do one now or just wait till 10,000? Also, I've heard some about synthetic oil on here and how it's better to use it but don't use it on the first change..???

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Probably a good time to change your oil. I did my first oil change at 4000 miles and ~3500-4000 miles every other time. Since switching to Synthetic, I'm going to be going every 5-6k miles.

Also check your oil, if it's dark and cruddy looking...yeah it's time to change your oil.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
brand new enigne? you should flush out the "break in" factory mineral oil at 1000 miles. I use a full quart of regular cheap-o oil and run it through the system after draining the stock stuff. Leaving the drain bolt open after this extra quart has moved through and "cleaned" stuff out, I close up the bolt and add full synthetic.

After this its good to go, change the oil after each additional 5K miles.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
you're in FL, not severe driving, right ? i mean I don't think you hit > 5k rpm frequently or redline...so I'd just follow Honda recommendation

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
JoeB18R said:
brand new enigne? you should flush out the "break in" factory mineral oil at 1000 miles.
No you shouldn't! The manual says there are special fluids in the first batch of engine oil that comes from the factory. Those fluids help break in the engine, and should not be changed until at least 5000 miles. It depends what schedule you are on, most people are on 5000 mile schedules, and a few are on the 10k mile schedules. There is absolutely no reason to change oil before 5000 miles unless you are a racer, or driving through the desert.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
larchmont said:
My dealer/service recommends 3750, so that's just about what I did.
What was their explanation for diverting SO far from Honda official recommendation ???

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I just did mine last week at 3500 miles. I was going to wait until I hit 3750, but I figured I'd take care of it before another round of rain hit again.

From my experience, you can observe while draining the first batch of oil your car has ever seen that it doesn't look too clean, but that is normal as during break-in, deposits/material may find themselves in the oil.

I used regular Honda/Acura oil for this one, but at 7,500 I'm going to switch over to Mobil-1 as I have for all my other vehicles.

I would recommend your first oil change to be done at or before 5,000 miles. Waiting 10k for your first oil change doesn't sit too well with me.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
What was their explanation for diverting SO far from Honda official recommendation ???
Good question.
And I have no idea. I never asked, because I never felt comfortable with the 10,000 mile thing or whatever it is anyway.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
.....and FIRST change at round 3k is not right....too far departed from official Honda recommendation. Yes it is official not some net secret.

Listen, Honda does thing in a VERY precise, pragmatic fashion. They know their engine better than anyone else. Honda engineers specify 10k for a reason.
I dont think they go "Hmmm let's save the owner some $ and just push back the milage a bit huh ?"

K engines are quite different from previous series.
Initial oil has stuff in there to help break in the engine. and Honda pointed that out quite clearly

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Take a look at the definition of "severe" in the owners manual. Most people fall into it. Therefore, 5K is the normal change interval. By most accounts, modern oils are so good that 5K-10K is a very realistic change interval, not to mention the quality of engines today.

I would NOT do first one any earlier than 5K, the break-in oil still has work to do up until that point. Do, however, check your level more than you might be used to if you are used to 3000-3750 interval.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
Take a look at the definition of "severe" in the owners manual. Most people fall into it. Therefore, 5K is the normal change interval. By most accounts, modern oils are so good that 5K-10K is a very realistic change interval, not to mention the quality of engines today.

I would NOT do first one any earlier than 5K, the break-in oil still has work to do up until that point. Do, however, check your level more than you might be used to if you are used to 3000-3750 interval.
Hey y'all, it's Mark!

Great to see you, been quite a while -- hope things have been good!

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
larchmont said:
Hey y'all, it's Mark!

Great to see you, been quite a while -- hope things have been good!
Hey larch, how goes it? I still read posts, but rarely post myself.

TSX is all good here, got dinged by someone who backed up into me. Oh well. Repair seems solid and looks good.

College baseball is back upon us and my 'Horns are top-ranked after their embarrassing performance against Cal State-Fullerton in the championship game last year (Shoeless Joe always gets me in a baseball mood).

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
I'm averaging around 3,500 miles per oil change.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
.....College baseball is back upon us and my 'Horns are top-ranked after their embarrassing performance against Cal State-Fullerton in the championship game last year (Shoeless Joe always gets me in a baseball mood).
(Sorry for the digression, folks -- hope y'all don't mind if I ask Mark just one more thing.....)

Did you ever hear this joke?
(Actually I think I mighta got it backwards....._

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=73295#post73295

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Nice one larch, honestly don't think I've ever heard that.

My favorite joke along that line goes something like this:

A woman is diagnosed with a terminal disease and given six months to live. She is, of course, horrified and goes for a second opinion. The second doc says, "before I give you my diagnosis, I'd like to give you some advice." The lady says ok. The doc says "marry an Aggie and move to Oklahoma." The lady says, "ok, but why? Am I still sick, what will this do for my illness?" The doctor says, "yes, I'm sorry ma'am, but you still have only six months to live, but if you follow my advice, it will be the longest six months of your life."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
:laugh: Spoken like a 'Horn. :laugh:

Maybe the other one is real old. It was almost 40 years ago when I heard it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts