Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to know when most people are starting to really wind up their TSX.

Is it right after the break-in period at 600 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, etc.

I'm at just over 1800 and have been slowly ramping up the revs over the past 1000 miles or so. Recently I've been taking it to redline on occasion, too. Here, in the burbs of DC with all the highways it isn't very difficult to find an opportune moment to really let it rip.

It's funny how sometimes I think I can even feel the hydraulic cam shift occuring right around 3100 rpm or so. It sort of like a kick in the pants when it happens. I'm probably exagerating a bit but I still think it's slightly noticeable.

How is everyone else driving their TSX?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
:woot: I think you're save to rev her up :nod:

I just drove carefully till around 600...then drove her a little bit harder each day... But I finally opened her up when I was around 700 I think.. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was itching to get to that 600 mile mark but I thought I would play it safe a bit longer. It's really hard to believe that it just keeps pulling all the way up to 7K.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The majority of people start to drive it to it's potential once past the recommended period, 1000KMs or equal in miles. I even know people who've done it the minute it's off the showroom floor and has yet to miss a beat with the usual servicing intervals.

All up to you, just remember to apply service maintenance at specific if not more often when driven hard. Honda engines have superb reliability and performance hand in hand when well taken care of.

On the flip side, I've seen brand new Honda engines fail because owners simply don't care to check or apply recommended maintenance. The most common find is people drive it until there's completely no engine oil, now how do they do that ... I can't figure out. But it's definitely a chargeable repair/engine swap.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
CL9 just about covers it, yet again. :nod:

But y'know, diff'rent strokes.....

I'm in TRU's camp, to a tee.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am very diligent when it comes to auto maintenance. In my opinion, the absolute most important task when it comes to maintaining a vehicle is the oil change. Get it changed every 3000-4000 miles and your car, and more importantly the engine seals, will last a very, very long time.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
godofwine said:
I am very diligent when it comes to auto maintenance. In my opinion, the absolute most important task when it comes to maintaining a vehicle is the oil change. Get it changed every 3000-4000 miles and your car, and more importantly the engine seals, will last a very, very long time.
That's in line with what my dealership recommends (every 3750 miles, strange number!!!), but more frequent than what Honda/Acura says.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Honda Australia recommends a 10,000KM or 6,000 miles approximate service interval. I have mine done at half of that instead. Why would your dealers recommend any less since it's meant to be on par to a certain standard guideline?

Ala S2000s, Type Rs have a 3,000 miles worldwide service interval.

·
Registered
204 Posts
godofwine said:
I would just like to know when most people are starting to really wind up their TSX.

Is it right after the break-in period at 600 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, etc.

I'm at just over 1800 and have been slowly ramping up the revs over the past 1000 miles or so. Recently I've been taking it to redline on occasion, too. Here, in the burbs of DC with all the highways it isn't very difficult to find an opportune moment to really let it rip.

It's funny how sometimes I think I can even feel the hydraulic cam shift occuring right around 3100 rpm or so. It sort of like a kick in the pants when it happens. I'm probably exagerating a bit but I still think it's slightly noticeable.

How is everyone else driving their TSX?
I don't really know how to define " opening it up " ??

Do you mean more than 3000 rpm ? or over 60mph ?

In my case, I have to drive through a highway to work. I couldn't hold the car to 60mph before the break-in period.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
godofwine said:
Yeah, I was itching to get to that 600 mile mark but I thought I would play it safe a bit longer. It's really hard to believe that it just keeps pulling all the way up to 7K.

According to some people here that 7k redline is "the ultimate letdown"

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
godofwine said:
Yeah but with modern cars these days, they no longer require 3000 miles oil changes, unless you really drive them hard every day. The manual says 5000 miles for oil changes on the hard schedule 10,000 miles for the soft schedule. I have stuck to the 5000 oil changes, and the oil is still nice smooth and golden brown after those 5000 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts