Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I need to stop modding!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i tried to install the hondata heatshield gasket a long time ago and i ended up stripping the bolt holding the intake manifold onto the bracket. :mecry: look at pic... its been bugging me since it happened and the dealer was asking me $90 to have it taken out and replaced. so i was wondering if theres another place in socal around the orange county area that could do it cheaper or is what the dealer asking me already a good price? thanks for your help.

Attachments

G

·
guess it depends on what the problem is. you say you stripped the bolt, which i assume is item 22 in your diagram. if that's the case, it should be fairly quick and easy to easy-out the old bolt and replace it w/ new. however, if you've actually stripped the threads of the hole the bolt screws into, it's much more difficult to restore them. it's not obvious what the bolt screws into. if it's a steel bolt screwing into aluminum, then it's more likely that the threads in the hole are stripped. and if that hole is difficult to access and in an expensive piece of the engine, pay the dealer $90 to repair it. if the hole w/ stripped threads is part of the bracket, it might be less expensive to replace the bracket. maybe i should have stopped at it depends.

·
I need to stop modding!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its #22 on the pic. how can i go about taking it out? i've heard of impact wrenches and screw outs, but the problem is theres barely any space at that part of the car. (its right behind the radiator fans) i wasnt really able to turn the nut at all. it just stripped it and i tried different sizes of sockets to fit but no luck. i know i shouldve stopped but it was actually the only bolt keeping me away from finishing the install. im probably just gonna have the dealer fix it unless someone knows of a shop that can do it cheaper. thanks for your info by the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want to do it your self, the you need to buy a helecoil unit. It is a cutting tap that will enlarge your rip thread and allow you to fit a thread insert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts