Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other day i did the Hondata Heatshield Gasket IMG / P2R installation... and i thought i would remember where everything was going to be put back together.

Unfortunately when i started my car, the car was shaking and a lot of white smokes came out of the exhaust and it smelled very sweet, possibly radiator hoses. I hope i didnt mess anything up, i swore i put everything back together correctly.

the car feels fine now but that was because i switched the radiator hoses on the throttle body around. can somebody with an unmodified 2006 throttle body take a picture of where the hoses goes? i just want to make sure i put it in the correct place.... i got a picture for reference..

PS
This is the only thing i can think of that went wrong. would it really matter if i messed up on these two hoses or not? i hope they do the same thing, the only other thing i can think of why the exhaust was spitting out sweet smell is because me and my brother used a Throttle Body cleaner on the stock IMG Heatshield Gasket area to clean off the residue.. OR because i used Gumout to clean my fuel(I didnt have any prior white smokes previously.....)...

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
honestly it shouldnt matter? maybe the cleaner got into your plenum our valves and you just had to burn it out? how long did the smoke last for, and has it stopped for good now?

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Why not just do the throttle bypass mod? Just use one hose to connect both ports of the throttle body together, and use the other hose to connect the other two ports together. That way, you'll keep your throttle body cooler, which will further aid your attempts at cooling the intake air (since you installed the hondata gasket).

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just do the throttle bypass mod? Just use one hose to connect both ports of the throttle body together, and use the other hose to connect the other two ports together. That way, you'll keep your throttle body cooler, which will further aid your attempts at cooling the intake air (since you installed the hondata gasket).
can you show me a picture of the finished product? i couldnt find one for the 06-08, also i live in a very cold climate during winter time so if i can go back to stock that would be great to know..

honestly it shouldnt matter? maybe the cleaner got into your plenum our valves and you just had to burn it out? how long did the smoke last for, and has it stopped for good now?
yeah i hope it was the TB cleaner getting out of the car, and yes the smoke did died down, i can smell a little bit of the sweet but thats about it. nothing more

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
It doesnt matter. The coolant is hot and used for emissions reasons. Basically, if you get the hoses backwards, it'll just flow through the TB backwards, no harm done. The 05 and 06 TB coolant bypass is the same. I have an alternate version of the bypass if you would like to try it. I designed it for those of you in cold climates.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Also, looking at the way your hoses bend and the direction they run, it looks correct.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesnt matter. The coolant is hot and used for emissions reasons. Basically, if you get the hoses backwards, it'll just flow through the TB backwards, no harm done. The 05 and 06 TB coolant bypass is the same. I have an alternate version of the bypass if you would like to try it. I designed it for those of you in cold climates.
im having a little hard time understanding how a TB coolant bypass benefits the intake. can you draw me a diagram of how it works?

and how is your design different for cold climate vs hot climate?

Also, looking at the way your hoses bend and the direction they run, it looks correct.
FYI the picture is not mines, i actually have them backwards from what this picture is showing. ill have to readjust them then, thanks!

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Ill see if I can later. Heres a link to a intake write up I did;

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...t-beneficial-if-only-slightly.html#post661396

It'll explain the science behind reducing temperature.

Basically, the hoses and TB are all part of a loop. The coolant is hot when it runs through the TB, warming it for emissions reasons. Bypassing the TB (using a brass or plastic male-to-male hose connection to connect the 2 hoses) takes the TB out of this loop, cooling the intake temp. Using the hose connecter, completes the coolant loop, allowing the car to think its running normal. I have a TB alt bypass drawn up, Ill see about uploading it later.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
can you show me a picture of the finished product? i couldnt find one for the 06-08, also i live in a very cold climate during winter time so if i can go back to stock that would be great to know..
I don't have a picture of it yet since my throttle body spacer hasn't arrived yet (been waiting 2 weeks already). Most people tend to disconnect both tubes from the throttle body and stick a connector between those tubes. They then put a cap on both ports of the throttle body.

Rather than wasting money on the connectors and caps, I would just use the two hoses. Disconnect each hose on opposite ends (one hose at the throttle body, and the other hose from the engine). Then connect the hoses to the other ports (one hose goes from throttle body to throttle body, and the other goes from engine back to engine).

The reason why warm/hot coolant is routed to the throttle body is to prevent it sticking in cold weather. You can just move the hoses back to their original orientation when the weather gets too cold for you. I hear some people in snowy areas don't bother going back to a stock configuration, and they don't have any issues at all (the throttle body still doesn't stick).

The disadvantage of running hot coolant through the throttle body is that it warms up the throttle body, which in turn heats up the air flowing through it. The advantage is that your throttle body won't stick in cold weather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts