Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
if you're trying to get horsepower out of an intake, you're going to have problems honestly.

both k&n and injen are basically the same idea. a tube with a filter on the end of it.

just think about it and use your common sense. how could one make more power than
the other if they're basically the same thing? they'll do basically the same job and have
very similar results, I'm sure. they're the same basic idea.

if you want to compare intakes, then I'd do so comparing different approaches.

there's basically 3:

1. tube with a filter stuck on the end in the engine bay (known as the short ram or SRI)
2. tube with a filter stuck on the end down in the bumper (known as the cold air or CAI)
3. modified box with filter inside and modified air direction in bumper (known as an ice box)

if you look on this site, you're going to find tons of discussion on this, with very good
points. so it's going to be up to you. you might find people come in this thread and
say that whatever they bought (probably in an uneducated manner) is the best.

think about how they work, like I said use some common sense. they're all quite different
in a way but also quite similar. and in the end none if it really matters that much.

my opinion is that it's no contest. the icebox design, and how Mugen made theirs is clearly
the best working design. like I said, in my opinion.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Definitely the cold air. The short ram gives 1-5HP depending on conditions & the cold air gives as much as 20HP, again depending on conditions.
Hey buddy dont make my slippers laugh. :laugh: 20 hp from cai ?
In your dreams ( maybe you mean this conditions ?? lol ) .

Dont trust any seller telling you just gimme bux and 15 hp from cai or my mom will die, beleive me he s fooling you coz his mom is dead already.

7-8 is a max we can achieve from cai on top end at the cost of low end power.

OP - dont waste er money on cai unless you have race engine 80% at top end rpm. Stealing torque on low end isnt good idea for such heavy car as TSX, DD 2-4k rpm will be not as good. I tried my buddies car on cai , everything else is stock, it has funny sound but low end really sucks in his car. And its hella overpriced also , 300 bux for piece of tube and filter ? Heh ...

Go ghetto box mod , best bung for a buck ! Throw in KN filter and throw our stock resonator. You will definetly feel low and mid end improvement + nice qrowling sound.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Toronto
782 Posts
i ended up with the injen. but i only ended up with it really for the looks of having an intake. like intake wont give you too much gains. an intake is an intake. if you REALLY want gains.. there's the Mugen Intake.. and the J's Racing Intake..
other than that, slap a filter on your stock tube and call it a day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't mean to thread hijack but I have this EXACT question, with the same products.

Only thing is, I WILL be using it as a SRI, and NOT a CAI. (Winters are harsh here and I do not want to remove the res).

I had an AEM SRI in my 99 Integra and I loved the sound it provided.

For my scenario, what would everyone recommend? I figure the K&N would be fine, but inputs please!

Edit - I am NOT in it for the HP gains.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the K&N SRI and it works fine. Injen and K&N are pretty similar in design, so i don't think you're making a bad choice either way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i ended up with the injen. but i only ended up with it really for the looks of having an intake. like intake wont give you too much gains. an intake is an intake. if you REALLY want gains.. there's the Mugen Intake.. and the J's Racing Intake..
other than that, slap a filter on your stock tube and call it a day.
If an intake is just an intake, then the Mugen and J's racing intakes aren't any different

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im really not in it for the hp gains either, more so for the sound and slight throttle response.. im just not sure whats different and why they can charge more (probably for the name such as anything). And if they are really all the same, then would throwing a k&n or other name brand filter on a cheap one like the one listed below be a smart thing to do?
04-08 06 07 Acura TSX 2.4L Cold Air Intake System Kit | eBay

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
im really not in it for the hp gains either, more so for the sound and slight throttle response.. im just not sure whats different and why they can charge more (probably for the name such as anything). And if they are really all the same, then would throwing a k&n or other name brand filter on a cheap one like the one listed below be a smart thing to do?
04-08 06 07 Acura TSX 2.4L Cold Air Intake System Kit | eBay
thats the HPS Intake I was talking about, however, it is only a 2.8 inch tube, but a 3inch filter will still fit inside it. My HPS filter is starting to get dirty so im going to soon replace it with another 3inch filter to see if performance helps.

it is SRI reversible too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i live in fl where its wet and hot so id rather not sri.. does the 2.8 inch instead of 3 inch make a big difference?

·
Registered
895 Posts
i would say dont get either, just get HPS intake, its cheaper than the two you listed and practically does the same thing, you can probably replace the filter with a good known brand after youre done with the HPS filter
+1 :ben:

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
does a better filter make a big difference for a cheap intake?
some filters trap dust/trash/bugs better than some, while still allowing pretty good airflow to get inside the filter.

other filters dont do too good, unfortunately not many tests have been done so your guess is as good as mines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
some filters trap dust/trash/bugs better than some, while still allowing pretty good airflow to get inside the filter.

other filters dont do too good, unfortunately not many tests have been done so your guess is as good as mines.
K&N is a pretty good, trustworthy company so ill probably slap one of those on it... ps i ordered the 2.8 incher

1 - 20 of 30 Posts