Acura TSX Forum banner

Which Mod Next?

• RDX Injectors

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Hondata IM Gasket

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Light weight pulley's (stock size UR/Ralco)

Votes: 6 42.9%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am stuck on what to do next for my ride. Here is the list of current mods and the poll will list my three top picks on next steps.

Current Mods:
Flash Pro, 40 Degree VTC gear, OEM airbox mod w/K&N filter, CT-E Header, Apexi WS2, Koni sports with GC coilovers, Progress RSB.

Current Flash Mods:
VTC 40 Degree, CT-E Header with stock airbox mod (K&N)

Before I retune for the Apexi Exhaust and pay 70.00...might want to lump in another mod to tune for to offset the cost a bit. The real question is I only think there is 3 mods left to do. Heatsheild, RDX injectors or light weight pulley's. However, I think you could only tune for the RDX injectors...is the correct thinking? Can you really tune off of the heatsheild or light weight pulleys? Which do you think should be my next mod?

TIA

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're looking for a power mod to tune... No to an intake mani? I like the results for the gasket from that hondata test.
Yeah, I like low end Tq and all RBC or RRC kills the low end Tq. I have everything else that I can think of to do...Racing brakes two piece rotors with ET500 on the fronts with Racing Brake slots rear with ET300 pads with SS lines. Susp. is taken care of minus front sway, but car handles great now with no real understeer. Car has a sturt bar that works..would only get a comptech bar (which isn't around anymore). Only, other tuned item besides the SC are the three listed above.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
you can still retain a lot of of your low end torque even with the RRC IM with the right tune. superstreet did a IM comparison of all the OEM IMs (albeit modified like porting, etc...). the ported RBB has the most torque, but the RRC is no slouch at all.

K-Series Intake Manifold Shootout - Super Street Magazine

and in the dynos section, i think member integra-something-something is running the RRC and he didn't lose much torque from one dyno to another (pre-/post-RRC).

maybe consider a CT-E icebox (find one used to save some cash). you'll keep the low-end torque but also benefit from better airflow.

if you're going to consider the hondata heatshield, i'd think about whether you'd want to just swap IM's altogether since you have to take it off anyways. no sense in doing it twice if you're going to get the gasket now and a new IM down the road.

Reactions: Pson

·
Registered
976 Posts
Your not gonna lose any power that's noticeable going with a RRC. Looking at a Dyno you'll probably see a slight loss but you won't feel it. Plus if your gonna tune you won't even know the difference because HP and TQ will have gone up.

You could go with a bigger TB and custom 3" intake..

Upgrade your fuel rail as well as Injectors.

Upgrade your clutch and flywheel..

Cam upgrade..

There is alot more you could do! Why didn't you upgrade your cams when you swapped in the 40* VTC??

And no you can't tune for pulleys..

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can still retain a lot of of your low end torque even with the RRC IM with the right tune. superstreet did a IM comparison of all the OEM IMs (albeit modified like porting, etc...). the ported RBB has the most torque, but the RRC is no slouch at all.

and in the dynos section, i think member integra-something-something is running the RRC and he didn't lose much torque from one dyno to another (pre-/post-RRC).

maybe consider a CT-E icebox (find one used to save some cash). you'll keep the low-end torque but also benefit from better airflow.

if you're going to consider the hondata heatshield, i'd think about whether you'd want to just swap IM's altogether since you have to take it off anyways. no sense in doing it twice if you're going to get the gasket now and a new IM down the road.
Just think I will stay away from the IM upgrade for now. Maybe with SC, but feel it is OK for my current setup to date. As for the CT-E icebox...I modded my stock airbox with an K&N to yeild the same results. I am going to review the link a good amount and thank you yet again for the helpful info.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your not gonna lose any power that's noticeable going with a RRC. Looking at a Dyno you'll probably see a slight loss but you won't feel it. Plus if your gonna tune you won't even know the difference because HP and TQ will have gone up.

You could go with a bigger TB and custom 3" intake..

Upgrade your fuel rail as well as Injectors.

Upgrade your clutch and flywheel..

Cam upgrade..

There is alot more you could do! Why didn't you upgrade your cams when you swapped in the 40* VTC??

And no you can't tune for pulleys..
I wanted to walk first, before running to the mods. This list above will be my last mod for a long time on the car...(OK, TL key mod when Heeltoe GB it). Will not mess with car until 100K (minus PS flush and oil changes).

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
w the 2007 you get a 64mm TB, so i wouldnt worry about that, its more than sufficient for the mods he has, and has planned and to me the amount of $ you spend on one doesnt = the power output. Im actually at the point you are, except im stockpiling everything to do it all at once lol. I was suprised to see the power jump from the hondata heat shield in the Tuning The TSX thread on here. For $50 you cant beat it! I also have read that at the 250whp level you have the injectors maxed out. I would get all three, then tune to save on tuning costs. If you have to wait, its all part of it. the TQ loss on the other intake manifolds is very negligible and the HP gain in higher RPMs is well worth it in my opinion. Im heading to the junkyard to find me a RBC and injectors today.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
^ I second that, the RRC Manifold only cost as much as the UR Pulleys and while you are at it, you might as well swap out the Hondata IMG while in the process of doing that.

While youre at it, I highly recommend you getting the P2R Intake Manifold gasket to go along with those mods. The P2R goes in between the Manifold and the Injector plate, while the Hondata goes between the Injector plate and the Engine block. It is a win-win for you and keeps the Manifold cooler. cooler air = more power to you my friend. All of that will cost you just a little over 400 and is probably better than investing in the pulleys at this point. Just my two cents ;)

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is bad, really bad... You guys are selling me on an IM now. I am sold on the gaskets however, In my readings I never got the P2R gasket for the IM was different from the hondata one. I could go gasket crazy and do the TB gasket in the mix. That being said, I am not a fan of the RRC IM for the TSX just yet.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

First off....thank you for the link. learned something there and have a few questions.

How much would the numbers change off of a K24 vs K20?

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
^ I second that, the RRC Manifold only cost as much as the UR Pulleys and while you are at it, you might as well swap out the Hondata IMG while in the process of doing that.

While youre at it, I highly recommend you getting the P2R Intake Manifold gasket to go along with those mods. The P2R goes in between the Manifold and the Injector plate, while the Hondata goes between the Injector plate and the Engine block. It is a win-win for you and keeps the Manifold cooler. cooler air = more power to you my friend. All of that will cost you just a little over 400 and is probably better than investing in the pulleys at this point. Just my two cents ;)
If he does go the RRC and gasket route. Just 1 gasket will be needed since RRC is 1 piece not 2 like the RBB.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
didnt vote, didnt see s/c option! ;)

but in terms of the different gaskets, i personally wouldnt waste your money. you would notice more a difference if you told one of your passengers to get out of the car vs installing those. and those arent my words, that's hondata talking (source Heatshield 4th paragraph in details section)

besides doing header, pulleys,intake, and reflash, your pretty much done with engine mods unless you do supercharger. so get the intake and pulleys now definately

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
What is your duty cycle of your injectors at WOT? If its more that 80% you need to upgrade reguardless because you will not make anymore power (for the most part). I would say get the gasket and the injectors if you can do them both. If you cant than you need the injectors first, why? because when you put the gasket on your temps will drop, when your temps drop air is more dense and can support more fuel, more fuel = higher load on your injectors.

I dont think pulleys would really affect a tune very much, maybe at very low rpms you may need to mess with the timings a bit to get the jerky ness out but thats about it. I say get the gaskets and injectors. You'll see a noticeable difference in those two things.

What power are you currently putting down?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
didnt vote, didnt see s/c option! ;)

but in terms of the different gaskets, i personally wouldnt waste your money. you would notice more a difference if you told one of your passengers to get out of the car vs installing those. and those arent my words, that's hondata talking (source Heatshield 4th paragraph in details section)

besides doing header, pulleys,intake, and reflash, your pretty much done with engine mods unless you do supercharger. so get the intake and pulleys now definately
I think you miss read that "Around town, testing has shown an average drop of around 10 degrees C which is good for around 3 percent power increase. Remember though that 3 percent power increase is difficult to feel. You'd feel a greater change in performance getting rid of that passenger. In certain conditions a 30° C drop has been measured."

The key word is around town, heak soak is more likely to happen at slower speeds, when you are at speed moving around there were a 30*C change in temp and that is huge.

He has plenty more mods to do, cams, valvetrain upgrade, port matching etc. Just depends on money and time willing to be spent :p

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is your duty cycle of your injectors at WOT? If its more that 80% you need to upgrade reguardless because you will not make anymore power (for the most part). I would say get the gasket and the injectors if you can do them both. If you cant than you need the injectors first, why? because when you put the gasket on your temps will drop, when your temps drop air is more dense and can support more fuel, more fuel = higher load on your injectors.

I dont think pulleys would really affect a tune very much, maybe at very low rpms you may need to mess with the timings a bit to get the jerky ness out but thats about it. I say get the gaskets and injectors. You'll see a noticeable difference in those two things.

What power are you currently putting down?
I will need to pull another one after the exhaust install. However, before that install the most I would hit my inj duty was 83% in WOT in 2nd gear at 7029 RPM...after that it drops back down to below 70%

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will need to pull another one after the exhaust install. However, before that install the most I would hit my inj duty was 83% in WOT in 2nd gear at 7029 RPM...after that it drops back down to below 70%
i honestly would not bother with the rdx injectors. the stock injectors are good for up to low to mid 230 whp on a dynojet. just by looking at your mods, i can tell you're no where near that.

i wouldn't bother with the pulley's either. if anything, get the intake manifold gasket. you technically won't feel a difference but it will keep the iat's cooler. like others have said, the rbc or rrc intake manifolds works very well. you will lose very little if any mid range hp and it will make up for it with a good chunk of power at higher rpm.

if you really want to keep the stock intake manifold, i would suggest adding a true intake.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.