Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i been having this problem for a while... when i start my engine in the morning... it makes this whiny noise.... for like 2 secs and it goes away and never comes back.... it almost sounds like it's rubbing on something... is it the starter or the alternator.. maybe my belt? it starts up fine and still drives like new.... its starting to bother me.

·
Keeping it Clean
261 Posts
I had the same problem. i though it was my belt. but i just flush the power steering with new fluid and a new seal. and it never happened after that.. also not long after that i change the serpentine belt since it was due. hope this helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just came to the dealership and he told me it might be the timing chain slapping arround.....

Sent from my SGH-T959V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
jkstyle834,

How many miles are on your car/engine? Was the head ever removed form the block? You describe a "whiny" sound, rubbing on something; then the dealer said that the chain could be "slapping". I ask the above because the if the head was serviced, was the slack slide guide/main guide (unsure what/how the FSM references the timing components) ever adjusted when serviced?

I agree with cl9kamina in regards to the power steering, might be worth to check it out. I commented in another thread about my alternator giving out in 20mins; it had a whiny/whirling sound rpm related to it.

Curious if you got this sound/noise resolved by yourself or from the dealer? I would consider all of your Preventative Maintenance items related to the alt, Power Steering, and the belt to narrow it down if you haven't. A timing chain is not as quick as the three I mentioned. Other may have some related thoughts to this.

/JJ

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jkstyle834,

How many miles are on your car/engine? Was the head ever removed form the block? You describe a "whiny" sound, rubbing on something; then the dealer said that the chain could be "slapping". I ask the above because the if the head was serviced, was the slack slide guide/main guide (unsure what/how the FSM references the timing components) ever adjusted when serviced?

I agree with cl9kamina in regards to the power steering, might be worth to check it out. I commented in another thread about my alternator giving out in 20mins; it had a whiny/whirling sound rpm related to it.

Curious if you got this sound/noise resolved by yourself or from the dealer? I would consider all of your Preventative Maintenance items related to the alt, Power Steering, and the belt to narrow it down if you haven't. A timing chain is not as quick as the three I mentioned. Other may have some related thoughts to this.

/JJ
i have close to 150k on my car... bought it brand new... lol.... i never did any headwork or anything like that... yea power steering i need to get checked out... but i dont think it's my alternator... it sounds like it's coming from the engine... like almost a grinding sound & whining sound combined. i dont know.... its fine warmed up... it only does it when i start my engine. im going to have to start my engine with my hood open...

·
Registered
7 Posts
150K on an '07 makes me feel better about our '04 with 123K; ours was bought in August of '03.

With 150K, have you done the valve adjustments? If memory serves me correctly, I believe it's to be performed from 110K-115K (look this up in the FSM) or as needed during that time frame. You'll have to confirm this in the FSM.

Hopefully this leads you in your troubleshooting, and take a timing chain seriously to rule it out.

/JJ

·
Keeping it Clean
261 Posts
yea jkstyle834. when i first purchase my car, during cold start it would make a winding noise as you stated. as the car warmed up it disappered. but i alway notice it would come back when it started to rain. which gave me the idea that it could be the belt. however like i said before my belt did need service so i just replace it. i did a power steering flush and replace the o-ring as well. once i did that it elimitated the noise!, been noise free ever since. but that my 2 cents. its what you do with it. sooner or later you got try it out. it wont hurt your car. at least you know you got a new powersteering o-ring seal and new fluid thats been flushed. got luck.. by any chance has it ever been resolved?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea jkstyle834. when i first purchase my car, during cold start it would make a winding noise as you stated. as the car warmed up it disappered. but i alway notice it would come back when it started to rain. which gave me the idea that it could be the belt. however like i said before my belt did need service so i just replace it. i did a power steering flush and replace the o-ring as well. once i did that it elimitated the noise!, been noise free ever since. but that my 2 cents. its what you do with it. sooner or later you got try it out. it wont hurt your car. at least you know you got a new powersteering o-ring seal and new fluid thats been flushed. got luck.. by any chance has it ever been resolved?
no not yet.... i kinda dont have the money to do all that right now as im saving for a memorial day trip in biloxi... lol i will do all that after i win some money. Priorities. My friend is a service advisor at acura so imma just leave the car with him over night and see what he tells me whats really wrong with the car.

·
Keeping it Clean
261 Posts
well dam thats a deal if you got some that works for acura then our in good hands :) good luck and keep us posted to see what you did to fix the issue

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. Got my transmission fluid changed and the noise went away... Wtf... This cant be good.... Lol

Sent from my SGH-T959V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts