Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 120,000 miles on my 2004 TSX. Recently I posted asking for suggestions on tracking down a parasitic drain. I have been watching the car and battery very closely, and I have to agree with the Dealer, there is nothing drawing excessive amperage. But I am still having a "slow start" condition. It sounds just like a dying or weak battery on a cold start. It will always start cranking and then taper off and die. If you wait a few minutes and try again, it will slowly crank again and usually start. After the car has been warmed up or if the temp outside is fairly warm, I don't have a problem I have taken the car to Autozone and they did their battery / alternator / starter test and everything checks out. The starter had a normal draw during the test, but the car had warmed up already.

I am looking for input from anyone who has replaced their starter before. Did you go with OEM or aftermarket. What was your reason for replacing it and how did your symptoms improve afterward. Does your car crank any stronger after replacement. I've searched the forums and read most of the posts relating to starter problems, but the difference is that I don't think my starter has totally failed, I think it is just weak. Thanks for bearing with me on this! And no suggestions for "take it to the dealer" please :) they had the car for 4 days and couldn't duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My starter was doing the same things as you explained before it completely died. I ran a cable from the positive lead on the starter to the battery and the car didn't crank. Bad starter. I bought one from NAPA. 3-year warranty and cost me around $230. Brand new one from runs about $400+. After I put in the new starter, it started 20times better.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
My starter just went out at 160k miles. I had the exact same symptoms as you described. Very slow crank at times when it is cold as though the battery is weak, and the starter struggles to turn the engine over. When it is warm the problem disappears. It continued to do this even with a brand new battery, and my alternator does not have charging problems. Eventually the starter one day gave up and I replaced it with an aftermarket one from Advance Auto Parts for $129 w/ lifetime warranty. Now my engine turns over stronger than ever with the new starter.

I did replace the starter myself and it’s not very easy get to. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to it, and I strongly recommend you remove the radiator to give you more room to work with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, It sounds like am finally on the right track after a long road struggling with this problem. It looks like i'll be replacing a starter sometime soon. I'm looking forward to fixing the problem. Another unfortunate thing that has come out of this, although unrelated to the problem, is that when i got my car back from the dealer, my radio back lights are now out. They took the radio out in their diagnostic efforts and apparently the radio did not like that. They said they will only look to make sure it was plugged back in properly, but will not repair the PCB because i can't prove they did anything wrong :( I am not accusing them of wrong-doing, it just sucks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same here, same symptoms. At first I tought it was the battery too. I replace the starter and all is good.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
I think the radio backlight warranty was extended to at least 120K miles -- bring it in and have them replace the radio PCB under warranty. Also if they give you a hassle, remember the extended mileage warranty due to the speedometer/odometer's being off by a factor of like 5% or something!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The extended warranty was only to 100k / 7 years (105k with odometer extension lol)... I already explained that it was fine until they pulled it out and told them that it was within the years, just not the mileage. No such luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did replace the starter myself and it’s not very easy get to. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to it, and I strongly recommend you remove the radiator to give you more room to work with.
I Just got done replacing my starter... I definitely agree with you about removing the radiator. It would have made life easier if I listened to you. I ended up losing a lot of coolant anyways when i disconnected the lines to the throttle body. Without the radiator it would have made it easier to get to the bottom support bracket too. It took me about 4 hours to get it apart and back together.

On the plus side, the car cranks over so much faster and i guess i will wait to see if i have anymore problems in the future. I used a reman starter from Autozone. Be aware, it looks slightly different, but performs well.

·
ridiculously good looking
646 Posts
at approximately what mileage should I replace the starter? My car is at 136k miles, and I'm considering replacing the starter and alternator together as "preventive maintenance". Should I just wait until it doesn't work one day? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
at approximately what mileage should I replace the starter? My car is at 136k miles, and I'm considering replacing the starter and alternator together as "preventive maintenance". Should I just wait until it doesn't work one day? Any thoughts?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just replaced mine this morning. Sounded like a pain to install a starter, but it really wasn't all that bad. IM comes off real easy. I didn't even unplug the coolant lines, just moved everything to the side and it game me enough room.

I hardly turn the key and the car jumps to start now lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would look at the Denso First time fit starter

Reactions: Wildcat

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 200,000kms on my 2004 with almost the exact symptoms.
I'm so glad i found this post, i thought i was losing my mind, i knew it wasnt the battery. I"m booking my car for service next week and will report the results back here later.

I have 120,000 miles on my 2004 TSX. Recently I posted asking for suggestions on tracking down a parasitic drain. I have been watching the car and battery very closely, and I have to agree with the Dealer, there is nothing drawing excessive amperage. But I am still having a "slow start" condition. It sounds just like a dying or weak battery on a cold start. It will always start cranking and then taper off and die. If you wait a few minutes and try again, it will slowly crank again and usually start. After the car has been warmed up or if the temp outside is fairly warm, I don't have a problem I have taken the car to Autozone and they did their battery / alternator / starter test and everything checks out. The starter had a normal draw during the test, but the car had warmed up already.

I am looking for input from anyone who has replaced their starter before. Did you go with OEM or aftermarket. What was your reason for replacing it and how did your symptoms improve afterward. Does your car crank any stronger after replacement. I've searched the forums and read most of the posts relating to starter problems, but the difference is that I don't think my starter has totally failed, I think it is just weak. Thanks for bearing with me on this! And no suggestions for "take it to the dealer" please :) they had the car for 4 days and couldn't duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is there a DIY on replacing the starter? I'm having similar symptoms after the new battery. But advance tested it and it came out good even cranked up on first try while testing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is there a DIY on replacing the starter? I'm having similar symptoms after the new battery. But advance tested it and it came out good even cranked up on first try while testing.
Wait, the starter tested okay? so why do you have to replace it? I just had a no start condition and I replaced the battery and starter and my problem persisted. It turns out both of my battery terminals had some build up of corrosion/residue. When I cleaned everything off (especially the internal surfaces of the connections where they slide over the battery post) with a wire brush and battery cleaner, the car started right up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wait, the starter tested okay? so why do you have to replace it? I just had a no start condition and I replaced the battery and starter and my problem persisted. It turns out both of my battery terminals had some build up of corrosion/residue. When I cleaned everything off (especially the internal surfaces of the connections where they slide over the battery post) with a wire brush and battery cleaner, the car started right up.
Yea the starter passed their test. I was asking for a DIY to see the difficulty of the job. Ima going o clean the terminals off and add a post shim and see how that works tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same symptoms with my 04 tsx for almost a year. My car would crank slow on cooler nights when i started it in the morning, sometimes no start at all and had to give it a minute to try again and would start slowly. Many months i struggled with this issue, i had battery, alternator, starter tested, all came back in good condition. Replaced battery even if my battery was good still, cleaned battery connectors .... So my advise to you all that would be going thru all this , is not the battery or terminals.... its your starter, change your STARTER and your car would start up 10x better and all your issues resolved, beware starter is behind manifold , very tricky to get to. Good Luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just replaced my starter on my 06 TSX manual. It cranks 100x better even on cold days / cold starts. It cranks and sounds much stronger than the original starter. I picked up a new starter from NAPA for like $200 - I wouldn't cheap out on it.

I had the exact same symptoms as you but recently mine had stopped cranking occasionally so I knew it was the starter. Slow cranks can definitely signal an old / wearing starter. My battery and alternator were both tested and fine. Hope this helps.

Taking off the Intake Manifold is SUPER simple. Just have to remove the throttle body first which is only 4 bolts - once that's removed you start removing a few connections that are attached to the Throttle body. There are 4 nuts on the Intake Manifold and then one underneath that's a bit harder to get too, also be careful there are vacuum lines attached to the backside of the manifold.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
I just replaced my starter on my 06 TSX manual. It cranks 100x better even on cold days / cold starts. It cranks and sounds much stronger than the original starter. I picked up a new starter from NAPA for like $200 - I wouldn't cheap out on it.

I had the exact same symptoms as you but recently mine had stopped cranking occasionally so I knew it was the starter. Slow cranks can definitely signal an old / wearing starter. My battery and alternator were both tested and fine. Hope this helps.

Taking off the Intake Manifold is SUPER simple. Just have to remove the throttle body first which is only 4 bolts - once that's removed you start removing a few connections that are attached to the Throttle body. There are 4 nuts on the Intake Manifold and then one underneath that's a bit harder to get too, also be careful there are vacuum lines attached to the backside of the manifold.
I replaced my starter on Friday morning. I got an OEM new Honda one for $210+tax through my buddy at Honda here in Ottawa. ;)

Removing the intake manifold was simple EXCEPT for the lower bracket bolt that is near the front engine mount. To access that, for anyone else doing this, I HIGHLY recommend taking 2 minutes to remove the drivers' side radiator fan. One electrical clip and two small bolts and it comes right out. Once that's removed, a 3/8" drive 14mm socket and a 6" extension will get you just enough access for that lower bolt on the IM bracket. It's a bit of a pain, but it is possible.

Once that's out, the starter replacement itself is simple, and re-assembling everything takes maybe 10 minutes if you remember where all the hoses and clips go. ;)

The new starter sounds COMPLETELY different and sounds like it should - starts quickly, sounds powerful, and no more sluggish starting.

For shits and giggles, I took apart the old one (262,000km on it). I don't have pics with me but will post later. The armature had multiple nicks/gouges in a few spots. The 4 metal contacts (the ones attached to the braided copper wires) -- two of them were worn down almost such that the copper braid wasn't even contacting them anymore! And, lastly, the teeth of the starter were mostly rounded off and missing a few small pieces. No missing teeth, but sections of most teeth were gone. Flywheel, thankfully, had no damage that I could see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm so thankful for this forum and this thread.

I've had problems for a long time with my 06 refusing to start. At first I thought it was because of my dashcam which was draining the battery. Then I got a new battery, after I still had the issue with a fresh battery I realized it was the starter. Right now during mostly colder temps, my car refuses to even turn although it powers on fine.

Turning off the air and unplugging the cigarette lighter usually does the trick and even then it just barely starts.

So I will be getting a new starter.
I am looking at Denso right now. Can anybody vouch for this one?
Is this the correct part you guys used? 280-6007

1 - 20 of 28 Posts