Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way back from school yesterday I managed to snag a decent run against my class mate's 2005 V6 Accord EX Coupe (6spd).

I didn’t know it at the time, but the owner of the car that I ran, is in one of my classes. We “met” on the street when we were both going home after class, and I ended up talking to him for a little while after we ran our cars.

Apparently, he got his car four months ago and had just broken the engine in a few thousand miles back. So far he had added an AEM V2 CAI, HKS grounding kit, and suspension bits (H&R springs, not sure about the shocks). Nothing too serious had been done to it, in order to retain his warranty.
He went for the Accord EX V6 6 speed coupe, in all black. With it lowered, and with the dark tint, the car looked very mean, even with the stock factory lines. I wouldn’t mind rocking one of these, but for almost 30K there are a few other cars higher up on my list.

But I digress...

We lined up on the same local 3 lane highway, that I had referred to in some of my previous threads. It took a few stop lights, but we were finally able to line up next to each other without any traffic in front of us. Thing is, at the time, I thought the Accord (I hadn’t talked to the driver as of yet) was just going the same way as me. I didn’t know he wanted to run, due to the traffic we were navigating through from the university parking lot on out.

After we both managed to get to a light without traffic impeding our way, the Accord stopped short with his front bumper at my front passenger fender. This belied the fact that he wanted to participate in a stoplight du gran prix.

Luckily for me I tend to drive fast. When the light changed green, I left the line with some gusto (although a few thousand RPMs short of where I would have launched if I were actually racing). It was at that point that I heard the Accord's V6 wailing through its CAI as he brought the Honda's revs up and let out his clutch.

Instinctively my foot hits the floor.

At this point I am thanking the Honda god that I have such a flat torque curve, with 120+ of my 130 ft. lbs. (at the wheels) available by 2800RPM. As the torque turned the engine towards its maximum power making speed, the pull at which the Accord's ambush launch had afforded it stopped. As I wound out 1st gear, our cars had pulled even, bumper to bumper.

As I grabbed 2nd gear, I gained a little more ground by putting my rear bumper at his driver’s side door. This is where I stayed through the rest of the gear.

And through 3rd gear.

As I shifted into 4th gear I had put a little bit more length on him.
By 90MPH, I was perhaps a car length in front of the Accord coupe, and my 100 it was a tad bit more at one and a half. We both shut down after 100MPH (as confirmed by the Accord driver later on) since there was a red light approaching rather rapidly.

As I alluded to earlier in the post, we then signaled to each other and pulled over to talk. We had a lengthy discussion about our cars and class. Complements were exchanged as was the home work assignment for tonight since I missed that earlier. Heh.
He had said he totally expected to stop me, and that he had raced a few Si’s before. All of which were at least a few cars behind him by 80. I, on the other hand, told him I was really impressed that a nearly stock Accord kept up with me for so long! He also said that, while he had never run his car at a real ¼ mile track, his friend’s GTech consistently shows his car running low 14s (between 14.0 and 14.3). Assuming that he is running on a flat piece of road and has the thing hooked up properly, his actual times should be pretty close to that, as per when my friends ran their GTech’s at the track to compare times.

Anyway, I came home and did some research since I was shocked a nearly stock Accord would be able to keep up so well. And, as I was amazed to find out, the 2005 Accord EX V6 6 sped (depending on what source you are looking at) runs between a [email protected] to a [email protected]! That’s pretty damn astounding.

Take off a 1/10 or so for his mods and that’s pretty much where my car should be. So in fact the results of out race were pretty much spot on for its "on paper" performance figures.

Who would have figured that the Honda Accord would become such bad ass sleeper given it’s a heavy ass FWD family car heritage…

..And considering this race was much closer then some suns I’ve had with a 350Z, G35 coupe, and Mustang GT 5spd convertible there’s no wonder why I was a little more then surprised by how well the Accord kept up!

Cliffs notes: 2005 Accord EX V6 6 speed w/ AEM V2 CAI is barely slower then my car to 100MPH. I was left wondering why a near stock Accord is so damn fast!

Aparently, Accords run (according to multiple car rags) low 14s @ or near 100MPH. Frigging-A!

·
gas-aholic
208 Posts
driver.

350z, G35 Mustang GT>.. and you're a college student right???

most likely they were gifts. and they just look cool in it. the accord guy prolly knew how to drive... (i'm sure his car was a gift too though...)

·
Registered
157 Posts
JoeB18R,

Silly question, but do you have an acura TSX?
I ask because I thought that the Accord coupe
was much faster than the TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Nice Kill...., I test drove the accord coupe v6, would of loved it, but had to go w/ the 4 doors, and the TSX is alot better looking then the Accord 4 Door, for the same price, so...here I am lol

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
JoeB18R said:
Who would have figured that the Honda Accord would become such bad ass sleeper given it’s a heavy ass FWD family car heritage…
[/b]
So I guess RTR should put it on the track then right? :laugh:

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a few of you are assuming I own a TSX. I don’t, and no the 350Z and GT weren’t "gifts" ;) Trust me, my car is quite capable for what it is.

BTW; don’t see any difference between using the accord coupe and the TSX for touring car races.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the_whoster said:
driver.

350z, G35 Mustang GT>.. and you're a college student right???

most likely they were gifts. and they just look cool in it. the accord guy prolly knew how to drive... (i'm sure his car was a gift too though...)

wait... I re-read this and I still don’t understand what you are trying to say...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts