Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see lots of images of nice TSXs in this forum, but very often people have erased or blurred their license number. Is there a reason that people on the road can see the number but we can't in this forum? I'm not complaining, but just can't think of a good reason why to make the license number illegible.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
im pretty sure a lot of information can be access thru a license plate number..which then could lead to identity theft..

ya plates are revealed on the road..but who is really paying attention and has time to copy them down or what not..but if u post on the net..the exposure is HUGE..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
yeah, pretty much just basic privacy and just some other things, people can find out alot of things about you through ur license plate #, Complete Name, Address, etc, just not something people like to post on the net

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
i guess you can also look at it this way..when you buy something with a credit card..the guy at the store sees ur number and expiry..and could potentially do a lot of harmful things with that..

but would u wanna post your number/expiry on the net forthe whole world to see? :grinno:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
rabbitman said:
I see lots of images of nice TSXs in this forum, but very often people have erased or blurred their license number. Is there a reason that people on the road can see the number but we can't in this forum? I'm not complaining, but just can't think of a good reason why to make the license number illegible.
Good question...and I asked one just like it when I first ventured into car forums.

My conclusion is that it comes down to this :
"...um well...everyone is doing it so I guess I better do it as well..."

Because I bet you that at least 90% of the people can NOT provide a good explanation why this is "necessary" or vice versa.

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
-phase- said:
i guess you can also look at it this way..when you buy something with a credit card..the guy at the store sees ur number and expiry..and could potentially do a lot of harmful things with that..

but would u wanna post your number/expiry on the net forthe whole world to see? :grinno:
excellent analogy

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
Good question...and I asked one just like it when I first ventured into car forums.

My conclusion is that it comes down to this :
"...um well...everyone is doing it so I guess I better do it as well..."

Because I bet you that at least 90% of the people can NOT provide a good explanation why this is "necessary" or vice versa.
thtas why i do it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I started erasing my license plate after a friend tipped me off that some a$$hole stole pics of my TSX and posted them in his eGay auction to sell OEM TSX headlights,front, and rear bumpers. This happened back in early 2004. The fact that someone had the nerve to do that made me mad and my car was posted all over the net w/ my plate numbers in fill view.:mad:

Besides, with ID theft and stuff like that so rampant these days, ppl will just do about anything just to steal any kind of info on you, including your license plate number....and I thought egay and gaypal were bad.

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
I do it since I'm not sure if other people want that kind of information published.

So I blur out all the license plates and any uniquely identifying legal marks on the vehicle - including VIN, assuming I've zoomed in that far. :)

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
lol, what is cyde , cop or something ?

·
Respect!!!
279 Posts
Better safe than sorry...

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
lol, what is cyde , cop or something ?
He's the ultimate stalker... Don't get on his bad side or he'll hunt you down! :p

(Just kidding, just kidding!!! :laugh: )

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
I never knew why people do that too......when i posted pics.... i didnt do it...and people were like.....dude...erase your plates.....so...i just do it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts